The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-07-2003, 12:32 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Cool U.S. raises terrorism threat level

U.S. raises terrorism threat level
Friday, February 7, 2003 Posted: 2:01 PM EST (1901 GMT)

'Soft targets' focus of threat

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The federal government on Friday raised the national terrorism threat level to "orange," indicating a "high risk of terrorist attacks."

The move is only the second time since the September 11 terror attacks that the level has risen above "yellow," or elevated risk.

Attorney General John Ashcroft, Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge and FBI Director Robert Mueller made the announcement at a Washington news conference.

Ridge outlined how the public might be affected by the heightened security level.

"...increased security personnel at points of entry," Ridge said. "In fact, limited points of entry and exit, enhanced identification checks, restrictions to travel around federal facilities and airports ... will be implemented."

Ashcroft described the threat. "Recent intelligence reports suggests that al Qaeda leaders have emphasized planning for attacks on apartment buildings, hotels and other soft or lightly secured targets in the United States," he said.

In addition, the heads of the nation's military branches on Friday were considering raising security levels at bases across the country.

"There is a large spike in threat reporting that shows al Qaeda cells are possibly close to attacks," a senior military official told CNN.

Also, state security officials said security will be increased at major bridges and tunnels. The officials said they would be calling authorities in the private sector and asking them to heighten security at key pieces of infrastructure such as nuclear power plants, railroad lines, and ports.

State Department officials told CNN that arrests of suspected terrorists in Britain with the chemical agent ricin, in France with cyanide compounds and in Spain with other chemicals prompted the caution.

Decision follows days of debate
Earlier sources told CNN that U.S. government officials had recommended to the president that he raise the threat level, following several days of debate within the government about whether to take such an action.

Counterterrorism officials have said they are more worried about a possible terrorist attack due to several factors, including an increase in the so-called "chatter" level.

Worldwide chatter prompted the State Department on Wednesday to issue a new worldwide warning that cautions Americans to be vigilant and aware of their surroundings. The chatter concerned possible a chemical or bioweapons terror attack against the United States.

The stepped-up chatter indicates a greater amount of intelligence coming in about a possible attack, especially by al Qaeda, the culmination beginning this weekend of the Hajj pilgrimage to Mecca, Saudi Arabia, and the continuing confrontation with Iraq, according to officials.

"Recent reporting indicates an increased likelihood that al Qaeda may attempt to attack Americans in the United States and/or abroad in or around the end of the Hajj, a Muslim religious period ending mid-February 2003," Ashcroft said.

Ridge called governors
Sources said that Ridge had been calling state governors and emergency preparedness officials to brief them on the threat, telling them that the level of chatter was at its highest level since the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001.

Ridge has also contacted officials in 13 sectors of private industry which control 85 percent of the critical infrastructure in the nation, including the energy, finance and transportation sectors. The officials said they were particularly concerned about chemical, biological and radiological threats.

On Wednesday, sources told CNN that the FBI is closely watching a "handful" of people believed to be Iraqi intelligence officers in the United States. There is also surveillance of at least several hundred Iraqi nationals living in the United States who are thought to be supporters of Iraqi President Saddam Hussein.

Also worrisome to U.S. officials is increased intelligence from a variety of sources in recent weeks suggesting a possible future attack in the United States that could include chemical or biological weapons.

The information does not single out any specific chemical agent or target, but officials said they are mostly concerned about the vulnerability of so-called "soft targets," such as apartment buildings, sports arenas and amusement parks.

Since the inception of the color-coded threat level system -- officially called the Homeland Security Advisory System -- in March 2002, the status has been yellow the whole time except for a short period around July 4 when it was raised to orange.

CNN's Kelli Arena and Jeanne Meserve contributed to this report.

Sempers,

Roger
1961-1977
68/69
Once A Marine............Always A Marine.............

http://www.geocities.com/thedrifter001/
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2003, 04:12 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default The system

The sysrem is stupid. Does anyone really think a terrorist is going to tell anyone when and where they will strike. And how will we know if our goverment squashes an attempt. You would belive anything our government told you, I think not. Terrorist only understand one thing, action. If terrorist strike, we strike back twice as hard, They kill 100 we kill 200.
Or we can go to a orange alert. whooo that will show um.
Ron
Old 02-07-2003, 05:39 PM

My, aren't you a joy - sigh. Don't you see what this alert does and how beneficial it is? By letting the world know we're on the alert and aware - and vigilant, as they ask us to be, the terrorists are more likely to be deterred.
Have a good one.
Old 02-07-2003, 07:08 PM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

The system I am afraid is mere scare tactics set up by big buisness. It allows people to justify buying all sorts of useless items that if something "big" happens will be useless anyway.

The last time they elevated the color of the day, we had hundreds of reports of "dark skinned people" surveying the local nuke plant in Red Wing, MN. The only problem with that is, it is bordered on three sides my an Native American Reservation.

Plain and simple scare tactics.

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 02-08-2003, 05:03 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Thankful?

You don't like reality go live in a box.
Terrorist groups have been around for a long time, you can't be around for a long time and be stupid. I can see the meeting at the terrorist group now--- hay the changed the alert color to orange, oh no, I guess we'll have to stay in today. Yea right, there laughin at us.

Ron
Old 02-08-2003, 04:54 PM

Sheeze cat person - a conspiracy theory now? that one is funny.

I'm beginning to think there is nothing but ignorant weenies in here. You two are impossible.

Maybe one day when you grow up you'll understand. Something awful happens and you'll be scraping the egg off your faces with an axe. God-willing it won't though, as I'd rather see ignorant talk like this than look at more dead bodies violently killed by evil terrorists and suicide bombers.

Did neither of you EVER hear of the benefits of preventative maintenance?? :cd:
Old 02-08-2003, 09:05 PM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Yes thankful i have seen preventive mainteance and I have been there and done that. I guess the real question is where have you been and what have you done? I guess until you have walked a mile in my shoe you opinion does not count as I do not like hearing what couch potatoes have to say.

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 02-08-2003, 09:51 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Trav,

I'll take your signature line over a color code anyday..it is tried and true and tested on the field of battle...

Thank you..and "Welcome Home"...

by the way..A Vietnam Vetfriend of mine helped build that building at the High Ground.....

it is one of the most peaceful places in the world to go when there are no special events going on...

When I go again..I will call you and we will go together...

Love you little brother,

Arrow>>>>>

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 02-08-2003, 10:07 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Now here's man with a plan..
It's All Good

(Toby Keith/Scott Emerick)

Mother earth has changed since I was a child

The east is a beast and the west is really wild

And the headlines say that the end looks grim

And the future don?t look so bright

You can?t even open your mailbox, you can?t take a plane

And everybody?s lookin? for somebody to blame

I think I?m gonna let the president

Save this ol? world tonight

I?ll light us a fire

And she?ll turn off the news

We?ll open a cold one and shake these blues

It?s all good

It?s alright

I?m gonna sit here with my baby all night

And let the troubles of this world

Roll on by us like they should

It?s all cool

It?s OK

We?ve got everything going our way

Can?t complain if we?re alright

It?s all good

I?m just a regular Joe, with a beautiful girl

Just getting by in a day-to-day world

We ain?t got a lot, but we don?t need anything

Covered in kisses, surrounded by love

Showered with blessings from up above

When you?re sittin? on top of the world, man we got everything

We live out here in the country

Where the workin? class do

We?ve got our health and our happiness too

It?s all good

It?s alright

I?m gonna sit here with my baby all night

And let the troubles of this world

Roll on by us like they should

It?s all cool

It?s OK

We?ve got everything going our way

Can?t complain if we?re alright

It?s all good

No can?t complain ?cause we?re alright

And it?s all good

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 02-09-2003, 06:25 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Thankful??

Up unit now we have been just expressing our opinion, but you went and made it personnal. "ignorant weenies "
F-you Bitch.

Ron