The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-06-2002, 01:50 PM

Default considering military officer career - seeking advice

I am a college grad seeking acceptance into the Army's OCS program to be commissioned as an officer. I was hoping that someone with military experience would be willing to partake in an email conversation regarding the pros and cons of this decision. Because of my location far away from any military presence and absence of military representation from my family and friends, I have very limited access to educated advise.

My family (conservative midwest with absolutely NO military representation... and former 'hippy' parents to boot), represents only the con side - which is mainly influenced by what my father reads in historical fiction novels and what they are shown by Hollywood. My recruiter, well, he's a salesman - and only represents a heavily biased pro point of view. Both sets of view are highly unrealistic. What I really need is someone who can provide some REAL insight for me that is not biased completely on the pros or the cons - although I am after officer commissioning - the opinions of both officer and enlisted ranks are considered relevant.

I would greatly appreciate the time taken by anyone to respond to this. Replies by email (annonymousbrad@hotmail.com... yeah, I know it's spelled wrong... don't tell the Army about my spelling issues, please.), or through this message board are both appreciated. Thank you for your time in helping me out in making this HUGE decision.

Thank you for your time,
BRAD

The following is my letter of intent included with my packet... I am not looking for a critique of content... it's already handed in anyway - I've included it to provide more insight into my personal situation. Of course the recruiter says the Army can help provide what I am looking for... but he is required to say that. I'm after some genuine opinions.

October 22, 2002

To Whom It May Concern:

A strong sense of purpose has governed every stage of my life. My recent pursuits were devoted to career development, the result of which manifested itself as a stable, well-paying professional position in a young high-tech company. However, I soon discovered that despite all I had achieved something was now missing in my new life ? a strong sense of purpose.

As an officer in the United States Army, I will pursue a career based on the highest of purposes: to proudly serve the country I love, protect and defend our hard-earned freedoms, and constantly strive to improve as an individual, an officer, and a leader in order to make a positive impact on the world.

I would make a good officer for a variety of reasons, such as a strong self-awareness, the ability to set and achieve goals, and the capacity for critical reasoning. My value as both a leader and a team player have continuously been proven through employment, education and professional development. Evidence of my versatility and adaptability is apparent in the extensive range of my work-related projects and wide variety of personal hobbies. I have much to offer the Army as an officer.

My work ethic and sense of commitment are best illustrated by my college education, which I funded by working a series of part-time jobs. I set a goal to achieve an education and through persistence and sheer willpower, I graduated from a highly demanding program in architectural design.

I would be proud and grateful to be granted a commission to serve and protect the United States of America as an officer in the United States Army.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2002, 02:21 PM

Brad,

I'm sure you'll make a find officer.

Some of the officer's who are on this site can walk you through more of the details. I'm sure there is a battery of test you will have to pass and physical requirements. There may even be some preliminary workbooks that tell you what you can expect and how to prepare.

Good Luck

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 11-06-2002, 02:32 PM

Default Brad

Follow your heart man. If its what you want to do, and it sounds like it is, go for it.
Old 11-06-2002, 02:40 PM

Default Competition

Brad,
Boats is a man who will give you nothing but excellent advice, for he is Navy. What you will find from this site is a plethora of good advice. It is pointless me offering any because of its relevence, I'm from down-under. But you will find advice coming from a representative of each Army Corp and intense competition from the Marines to acquire your enlistment. Good luck with your ultimate choice and please ensure you let your parents know what you are doing, not let them find out from other people or by other means. Military Service a most rewarding experience and the ultimate in character building. Good Luck once again.
Old 11-06-2002, 02:41 PM

boats: just a regular MEPS physical exam (which took 2 months since I had to get tested for asthma) and the only test is the ASVAB - with a higher cut-off (rocked it anyway). I suppose that there is an interview too, whcih I should have any day now. I am already pretty far along in the process.

drywall: thank you - always sound advice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 500tec.jpg (73.6 KB, 20 views)
Old 11-06-2002, 02:44 PM

Wazza: thanks for the advice. Tough for the Marines though... the Army's already won the race. I told the parents quite awhile ago that I was considering this - it's amazing the things they say to talk me out of it... but I'm young and male... all their efforts will only strengthen my resolve!
Old 11-06-2002, 02:49 PM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Brad,

I wish you the best, any career path that you chose within the military will be honored on this site. Please keep us informed on your choices and duty stations.

I remember when i was promoted to sgt, ( The man that pin on my stripes was my brigade commander Col. Stephen Arntz, he was my father's last platoon leader in Bamberg in 1972) he looked me square in the eye and said "Remember Sgt, every good NCO has three or four Officers working for him." Take that for what it is worth. Officer's work the logistics, NCO's make it happen.

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 11-06-2002, 02:51 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

The US Army like other services has a lot of jobs that you could possibly qualify for. One key area you would want to zero in on is what your degree is in and how that would apply to a career field within the Army. Before you raise your hand and say, ?I do?, remember that the first choice of best jobs will always go to the West Point grads, regardless, and the rest of ya?ll get whatever is left over. So positioning in field or job that isn?t working alive with ring knockers is prudent if you are thinking of a career stay. So, perhaps real in-depth stuff like intel, advanced commo/signal Corps or advanced arty/armor would be a good bet. But you would have to really specialize and know your stuff to stay on a level field with the pre-selected WP grads. And no, not Army here but there is little difference in M.O. between Army and Navy. The Marines are a lot different in this respect and have a mind-set that leaders don?t necessarily come in the exact same package all the time. Hope this helps, good luck.

Scamp
(Olden guy-VN Vet)
Old 11-06-2002, 03:44 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Brad...

...glad you made it over here on my command ...( I am the guy from the other site)

...So as soon as learn to give the orders, you'll be fine...

...it sounds to me like your a dedicated patriot, and if you've made it this far in the process, continue on, and give it your best, always !!!...

...just watch out for dem snakes, a lot of dem bite when your back is turned, so get out your other 4 pairs of eyes, and push on...

..."Curtis"...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mvc-010s.jpg (42.4 KB, 39 views)

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

Old 11-06-2002, 04:11 PM

Brad,
Always great to know there are men like you out there.
Godspeed.
Jane