Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-01-2005, 09:39 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Angry Base-closure panel to get first briefings

Click the following to access the sent link:

Base-closure panel to get first briefings | The San Diego Union-Tribune*

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniont..._1n1bases.html

Tony Principi, the man who recently left the position of VA Secretary, having been kicked up stairs to the head of base closures, is apparently preparing to hack the life out of many a military facility, much as was done to a multitude of veteran's claims back during his tenure as the Secretary of The Veterans Administration (opinion)!

For those of you who lack any historical prospective, might I remind you that this (massive base closures and/or unpreparedness) was exactly what was done in the years prior to World War II, and we all know the end result of that fiasco!

Granted, we live in an already corrupted "New World Order" (you know what I think of that), but if base closures are a political necessity in order to pay for foreign aid, rebuilding Iraq, or paying tribute money to foreign back-stabbers, then I say to Hell with foreign agendas!

When many of our own kids in uniform are forced to go into combat without even body armor (according to the media), can the day be far removed when (like the twenties and thirties) they are trained using toy guns or trucks labeled as tanks?

"What in the Hell is wrong with us that we never learn, and how long can we survive using such a mindset!?"

"As for Tony Principi, parts of the VA, and a few captive politicos, my language would get more than a bit salty should I be forced to address their recent actions!"

Also for the record, word has gotten back to me of the cowardly back stabbing that a scant few of these political types (?) have been engaged in. And should I (and I eventually will) find out the sources of this childishness, my next correspondence may just be through a government ethics committee and the media at large! Either that, or if any ass-kissing, politically bent-over, petty bureaucracy bum, mistakenly believes that I no longer possess what it takes to deal (legally) with back-biters, then they have my address! "I await their pleasure!"

VERITAS
Old 05-01-2005, 11:40 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Exclamation

PUCKERING UP or PISSED!

Come on you guys and gals - with twice as many voting in the opinion poll that Iraq should be paying for the cost of this war, or at the least those international companies that are making fortunes through this war, I would have thought that an opinion or two would have been forthcoming over my recent tirade!?

After all, will not the ex-VA Secretary do the same for our military bases and surrounding communities as he did for our veterans!

"Bend over baby, here it comes again! Apparently, we too have our Neros and modern day (Ancient) Greeks in drag?!" (opinion)

VERITAS ABSENCIA!
Old 05-01-2005, 01:35 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I guess it depends what basses are to be closed and why. There in San Diego USNTC was so dilapidated that the buildings were coming apart and big chunks of plaster were falling on the head of hapless boot campers trying to take a shower. And that was in the 60?s. It was the same story with Treasure Island and Hunters Point Navy Yards of the same era. Mercifully, Treasure Island and Hunters Point Navy Yard were put out of their misery. At Hunters Point the battleship sized dry docks were really inefficient in handling the down sized ships of the time, plus the ?projects? between Hunters Point and Candle Stick Park were a virtual battle zone at the time and the SF busses wouldn?t even go there at night. Scary place for sure.
Last time in San Diego about two years ago it looked like USNTC was going without any yard or building maintenance and it was the same old WWII ?H? style barracks as when I went through. But it looked like next door USMCRD got all the maintenance workers and a nice face lift. I didn?t see any USN boot camp companies on Preble Field and the once spiffy flower gardens by the front entrance looked mighty sad and neglected, so maybe the place is moth-balled, I don?t know. My Nephew Patrick is just back from Iraq and they gave him the option of finishing his time in a Guard Unit and so he jumped at that and is now a weekend warrior doing instructor duty. He was a Spec 4 Bradley gunner and his Guard Unit only has the older M113 tracks. Maybe the skills are transferable, new to old. The Bradley has the 25 mm chain gun and as I recall the M113 has the M2 50 Cal. Not a bit alike but maybe shooting is shooting, who knows. Oh, Patrick is a walking case of PTSD and that is not a good story at all. Last week I encouraged him to get help early but I doubt he is listening right now, maybe later. His thing now is being a biker and adding radical tats all over his body, hmmm.

Scamp
Old 05-01-2005, 09:10 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

As long a they keep Ft McClellan closed I am happy. Anniston, Alabama doesn't deserve the military.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:41 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Since I work on a base, here's some input. This BRAC has been planned way before this president took office. THE MILITARY, DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE, are the ones that want to close unnecessary bases to save themselves money. Not ALL bases that we have are necessary. What we are hearing is that since we are planning on returning a bunch of troops from Europe, which are no longer needed to keep the Soviets from kicking the asses of the Germans and French, that not as many bases are going to be closed. We have 3 here in Beaufort and any one could be closed and we've known this has been coming for years. The BRAC was started during the Clinton Administration but not by Clinton. This is purely MILITARY. We are supposed to hear on the 5th which bases stay and which are on the block to go. Our MEC, Military Enhancement Committe, has been lobbying DOD for our bases. They have not been lobbying the White House or Congress.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 12:31 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Had a based closed here in the 60's and they are talking of closing the one in Clovis.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:49 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Cannon AFB Well, seems to me the fact that we are bing invaded by Mexico is not considered. Must be because they can walk, don't have to fly.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:37 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Hardcore,

You asked for an opinion or two, got them, then no response from you. See David's latest post on the subject.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)