The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-12-2003, 12:14 PM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Question Snipers

Did any of you guys ever run into snipers? No I don't mean a grunt NVA with an AK who took pot shots, there was lots of that, of course. I mean real snipers. Your walking along and one of the guys in your squad drops with a bullet in his head.
Recently spoke to a couple of Jar Heads who were taking about it having been a big problem. I can't recall more than once or twice when someone might have been taken out by a real sniper. Was it that different up north?

Stay healthy,
Andy
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2003, 03:51 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default sniper

No, is the short answer.

I was standing talking to a bud one day, we were facing each other with a tree inbetween us, Kinda leaning on the tree, and the tree started to make noises, like some one was hitting it with a hammer. Thump, Thump, Thump, We both looked at the tree and looked at each other, and we both said SNIPER at the same time and ran.
Never did hear any gun shot, eather to far off or silenced.

Ron
Old 06-12-2003, 03:59 PM

Andy,

I never ran into a sniper but I know a guy would went through 10 ot 11 survival schools. He looked like an allagator. He took a sharp knife and ran it across his arm and it cut it but it didn't bleed.

He was a E3 and quite - too quite - if you know the type. He was the camp commadant at one of the survival schools I had to go through. They would take officers/enlisted and try to extract data (that each of us was given before we went in).

There was one guy they put into a box and dropped in some garden variety snakes - this guy busted out of the box ran across the compount climbed the barb wire - leaving chunks of flesh on the wire. He jumped about 20' on the other side and ran into the woods - no one tried to stop him. Later they sent out some guards to collect him and bring back to complete the course.

We had all sorts of personnel come for POW training and they came from other countries as well. I went to three.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 06-12-2003, 04:35 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default andy

I've been talking to a few guys from my old squad. We drove the roads from Danang to the DMZ. There were snipers sometimes, but we all agree that they missed a lot. We were around a lot of Marines and never heard a lot about it.
Old 06-13-2003, 12:05 PM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Default Thanks guys

No doubt there were a few snipers in Vietnam, on both sides but I'm still thinking there were very few NVA and even less VC. A grunt with iron sights is not a sniper.

Stay healthy,
Andy
Old 06-13-2003, 01:14 PM

Andy, I think that kind of depends on who's getting shot at.
Old 06-13-2003, 01:23 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Allthough we had several people hit in the head NO to the snipers
Old 06-13-2003, 01:54 PM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default None but,

The NVA training doctrine does not lend itself to trained snipers. I have never run onto any but i have come across individual soldiers sniping at troops for harassing ETC. The CKC bolt action rifle was used for this sort of shooting because it used the 7.62x39 ammo. The only Block weapon I am aware of used for sniping is the Moisant Nagant firing the 7.62x54 rimmed cartridge, not accurate past about 400 meters. Trained snipers are vain in their ability to make an accurate shot. 99.9% of their shots are head shots with many being a trademark shot such as just above an eye or center forehead or an eyeball, only rarely was a center mass shot taken and then only because it was a long shot.
Old 06-13-2003, 01:55 PM
Doc.2/47

No
Old 06-13-2003, 05:01 PM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 

Garden variety plinkers,but no real snipers.

Peace,Griz