The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-27-2004, 08:39 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Thumbs up New Patriot Award Winner - Tiger Survivors

THE FORGOTTEN WAR - This is a great site for those who were involved in, or had relatives or friends who served with honor upon the battlefields in one of the harshest and deadly environments on Earth! www.tigersurvivors.org

Access the Medal of Honor records at www.medalofhonor.com and read of some of the super-human sacrifices of our military during this and other conflicts!

Most of all, learn about those captured by a brutal and determined enemy. About the mere kids in uniform who gave their all to secure that which far too many take for granted - freedom!

This site (www.tigersurvivors.org) is dedicated to all who served our nation, and those who never came home. The young troopers who perished from starvation, beatings and the vicious elements, while held captive in North Korea.

These are the stories of our own, people just like you and me, who took the worse that the enemy could dish out, but never lost their courage or their dignity. For even in death, these men and women number among America's Finest!!

****Facts about the Medal of Honor during the Korean War
There were a total of 131 recipients (they are not called "winners")

Of those 94 were given posthumously

Members of all four services received the Medal: 78 to those in the Army, 42 to Marines, seven to Navy Personnel, and four to members of the Air Force

Marines received the Navy Medal of Honor and Air Force members received the Army, as the Air Force did not develop one of their own until 1965

VERITAS
Old 03-27-2004, 10:19 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Great site!

Great stories!

Keep up the good work Hardcore!

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 10:38 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default HARDCORE...

Thanks for showing us an EXCELLENT site, and/or where displayed how so many have given so much for The United States of America,...AND ALL ITS PEOPLE.

Regardless, please clear something up for me, since I've been corrected more than a few times over the years into not calling The Medal of Honor the: "Congressional Medal of Honor". Regarding which way is proper or whether just shortened for convenience,...The Site further confuses me.

The main heading/title reads: "The Medal of Honor"
The very next heading reads: "The Congressional Medal of Honor"
Through out most of site: "MOH" or "Medal of Honor" is used.
Then there's a heading: "Congressional Medal of Honor Memorial Coin Act of 2003".

Sorry to nit-pick about such A Fine Site, my Friend. But, is one way or the other way right,...or are both ways correct??? After all, and since having been corrected so many times over the years in that The CMH is actually The MOH, and now in turn doing the correcting myself,...I would surely would like to know what I'm talking about and/or that such correcting is even warranted?

Neil
Old 03-27-2004, 10:48 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Recon

There is a Congressional Gold Medal of Honor! It is a civilian award and in the form of a Medallion.

The Military Medal of Honor is just that and is often improperly referred to as the Congressional Medal of Honor. All are in the shape of an Upside-Down Star, and the Navy/Marine Version, the Army Version and the Air Force Version are somewhat different!

The Navy/Marine Version depicts "Minerva vanquish Discord." The Army Version depicts "Minerva" and the Air Force depicts "Liberty" to the best of my knowledge.

VERITAS
Old 03-27-2004, 11:18 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default HARDCORE...

CHECK, CHECK, and glad to know that I've been passing out the right information.

Regardless, and given what you told me, I would suggest that The Fine Site correct the second heading at the very beginning reading: "Congressional Medal of Honor", and also a heading much farther down reading: "Congressional Medal of Honor Memorial Coin Act of 2003", especially since the word: "Congressional" denotes award given civilians,...whom in most all instances are alive and well when receiving such. Not normally so for most Military Personnel being awarded such FOR GREAT HEROISM UNDER DEADLY CIRCUMSTANCES.

Civilians can get their medal,...without even being shot at once.

Neil