The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-27-2004, 10:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to 82Rigger
Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Keith says it's time for a Quiz!

And I'm trying to keep him happy 'cause I believe Keith thinks that writing quizzes is good therapy for dysfunctional veterans.
As long as he takes the quiz along with everyone then I will humor him and keep writing quizzes.

The topic of this quiz is QUOTES FROM MILITARY MOVIES.

10 quotes.

Read the quote and NAME the movie:

1. "Sir, this is Private Elliot at Opana Point. There's a large formation of planes coming in from the north - 140 miles, 3 degrees east."

"Yeah? Well... Don't worry about it."

2. "Colonel Dax, you're a disappointment to me. You've spoiled the keenness of your mind by wallowing in sentimentality. You really did want to save those men, and you were not angling for Mireau's command. You are an idealist -- and I pity you as I would the village idiot. We're fighting a war, Dax, a war that we've got to win. Those men didn't fight, so they were shot. You bring charges against General Mireau, so I insist that he answer them. Wherein have I done wrong?"

3. "Sir, we've stopped the fires forward and patched the hole in the side. Commander Eddington says to tell the Old Man; I'm sorry, sir, to tell the Captain that this old tub will float but you might think about arranging a tow back to Pearl. Also, sir, the men would like you to know that we think Commander Eddington is hell on wheels."

4. "This is a different kind of army. If you look at history you'll see men fight for pay, or women, or some other kind of loot. They fight for land, or because a king makes them, or just because they like killing. But we're here for something new. This hasn't happened much in the history of the world. We are an army out to set other men free. America should be free ground, from here to the Pacific Ocean. No man has to bow, no man born to royalty. Here we judge you by what you do, not by who your father was. Here you can be something. Here you can build a home. But it's not the land. There's always more land. It's the idea that we all have value, you and me. What we're fighting for, in the end, is each other. Sorry. Didn't mean to preach."

5. "Captain, it is I, Ensign Pulver, and I just threw your stinkin' palm tree overboard! Now what's all this crud about no movie tonight?"

6. "A rifle is only a tool. It's a hard heart that kills. If your killer instincts are not clean and strong you will hesitate at the moment of truth. You will not kill. You will become dead Marines. And then you will be in a world of s__t. Because Marines are not allowed to die without permission. Do you maggots understand?"

7. "The thing that's always worried me about being one of the few is the way we keep on getting... fewer."

8. "Hancock, I've got lunatics laughing at me from the woods. My original plan has been scuppered now that the jeeps haven't arrived. My communications are completely broken down. Do you really believe any of that can be helped by a cup of tea?"

9. "Wait a minute! You aren't seriously suggesting that if I get through the wire... and case everything out there... and don't get picked up... to turn myself in and get thrown back in the cooler for a couple of months so you can get the information you need?"

10 "I know you will do what the British major wants. I would do it in your place."

Steve / 82Rigger
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2004, 11:29 PM

Default Hmmm...never done one of these. Lets see...

1. Pearl Harbor

6. Platoon (that was one very twisted up movie)

7. Isn't this Jack Nickolson in a Few Good Men?

9. Steve McQueen in either (I cant remember exactly which one) The Great Escape or The Dirty Dozen.

That's about it for my guesses. So how did I do on the ones that I came up with an answer for? You can PM me if you don't want to give away the answers.

DL
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan
Old 03-28-2004, 12:17 AM

1. Tora Tora Tora.

2. Oh, crap, what's the name of it. Kirk Douglas was in it... Paths of Glory. That's it.

4. Gettysburg? Sounds like Kilrain's monologue.

6. Full Metal Jacket.

8. A Bridge Too Far.
Old 03-28-2004, 02:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62

3. In Harm's Way, the sailor is speaking to John Wayne.

5. Could be Mr. Roberts, Jack Lemmon to James Cagney.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
Old 03-28-2004, 03:55 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

2. Sounded like that film about Dreyfus?

Anyhow, this was a nice read, no matter who said what when
Old 03-28-2004, 05:37 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

1 tora, tora, tora

2 paths of glory

3 midway

4 the patriot

5 mr roberts

6 full metal jacket

7 ? ( got to be Marine related though )

8 a bridge too far

9 the great escape

10 ? ( WW2 movie ?? )
Old 03-28-2004, 10:44 AM

Guess
1. Tora Tora Tora
2. Paths of Glory
3. In Harms Way, a definite John Wayner
4. Gettysburg, Chamberlain's speech. Good one tho I liked Killrain's better.
5. Mr. Roberts
6. Full Metal Jacket
7. The Longest Day, Richard Burton in one of his not more memorable rolls.
8. A BridgeToo Far? The Big Red One?
9. The Great Escape
10. Haven't got a clue but I'll guess The Patriot.
Old 03-28-2004, 04:52 PM

I knew it was full metal jacket and I said platoon. I always get those two movies confused.

Dang it! :-)
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan
Old 03-28-2004, 05:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62

"You Sergeants disappoint me."

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown