The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-22-2010, 07:10 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Medical Question

Perhaps this question has been addressed in other threads, or maybe it's just my CRS disease kicking in again, but does anybody else - Vietnam vet types -have chronic discomfort in practically every joint in their body like I experience on a daily basis? I am fully aware of the fact that my being chronologically-challenged may have something to do with it, but were it not for rather frequent doses of ibuprophen, I would be much crankier than I am, and not too sure about getting much physical stuff done. I would rather not take any medication - ibuprophen is about the only stuff I need - but it's still an external element that I would prefer to eschew.

Currently, I'm rated at 40% disability based on skeletal-muscular limitations, and it seems to be getting worse. And yes, I was exposed to Agent Orange, having been in the company of other grunts.

I would genuinely appreciate others' experiences and opinions.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2010, 08:09 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking

Brice , I have arthritis in both shoulders and both knees but think it's from oldtimers disease. Most other joints seem OK most of the time. Try wacking your thumb with a framing hammer it will take your mind off the joint problems
Old 02-22-2010, 09:01 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Lightbulb

Darrel's rated disabilities include arthritis in both knees.

He recently applied for an upgrade due to pain in his shoulders and hands. Like you, he would rather not take any medication so just takes an aspirin and several liquid painkillers a day.

In spite of studies by the VA about how arthritis spreads, he was turned down. He plans to appeal.

Doctor statements and VA study results will be part of the appeal documentation. I find articles referring to the studies but have been unable to find the studies that directly reference the spread.

He was exposed to Agent Orange by being "in country" in 1972-1973. By then, it was in the water everywhere.

Can you explain "skeletal-muscular limitations"?

Joy

Old 02-22-2010, 09:33 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

"Skeletal-muscular limitations" is something that was written on my last VA exam notes, as I recall. It was probably caused by being thrown around in my APC a couple dozen times per mission, as I attempted to destory the metal super-structure with my shoulder, knees and other body parts.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 02-22-2010, 10:35 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Pain and more pain!

Scout,

As one who has experienced "Skeletal-muscular" pain for more than 40 years now in varying degrees of severity. Three rounds from an AK-47 and a few assorted pieces of shrapnel will do that for you!

I can offer one possible remedy that has helped me tremendously over the past four or five years, especially.

I have probably been prescribed nearly EVERY form of "pain meds" made availble by modern science these past 4 decades.

About 4 years ago I became extremely frustrated by the ever debilitating and mind altering effects of hydrocodone, oxcycodone, percocet and other "opiod" type pain killers. I requested a "consult" with the pain management clinic at my local VA hospital here in Tampa, Fl.

The Chief of the Pain Management clinic herself took me under her personal care and tried several "alternative" types of meds............low and behold after about three months of trying about 4 or 5 different meds she said lets try something different!

She placed me on a medication by the name of "Tramadol"...50mg....it was originally manufactured as an "anti-physcotic" medication. But, they found it had an unforseen, positive affect on certain "muscle" and "arthritic" conditions. It seems to increase blood flow and also cause these areas of pain to subside without the unnecessary, mind altering effect that "opiod" drugs cause. It has given me virtually a new lease on life.

Not totally "pain free" mind you, but with a much greater feeling of pain relief without the consequences of an "opiod"

Ask your VA doc to prescribe some for you and see if it helps.

As always,

"SCOUTS OUT"......my friend!

Gimp

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:39 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I guess another way to define skeleto-muscular limitations is to call it limitations in movement. As we get older our joints wear out but stress accelerates the process and exacerbates the pain. I have fibromyalgia which can be described as arthritis of the ligaments which is directly attributable to stress. I call it the cattle prod method of anger control. If I get angry it stirs up the pain so much that it overwhelms my anger. I haven't read any studies but I am sure it is much more common in veterans. They swallow their fears in order to do their jobs and that swallowed stress breaks out in autoimmune diseases. One of the main reasons I keep going to the Vet Center group is pain control. I have this reservoir of repressed stress. It is the main contrbutor to the pain and in group I get to take some out a bit at a time and in a controlled way relieve some of it. When I do that the pain gets just a little bit less. But I go back to square one when I have bad times with Vietnam. I go to group for my brain and take darvocet for the pain. I resisted darvocet and opioids for years because I have an addiction problem but I have been taking darvocet for about a year and a half and so far so good.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:52 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Potentially hazardous to your kidneys

Doc Fred...........If your VA doc does NOT monitor your kidney function closely while you're on Darvocet he should!

I took it for about 5 years and it caused severe, reduced kidney function because it is a powerful "insaid" type drug and is notorious for causing PERMANENT kidney damage. My kidneys are now functioning at less than 80% because of that drug!

My local VA pharmacy has removed it from their forumlary list of available pain meds because of this.

I'm surprised yours hasn't.

Stay healthy old friend............and ask your doctor to request a consult with the "renal" clinic" to see if you're ok?

Gimp

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:59 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

It is the acetaminophen (Tylenol) that is the culprit. I am aware of it and do monitor it. Acetaminophen is the most dangerous over the counter drug.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:46 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Be especially careful of aspirin with acetaminophen. The aspirin helps the acetaminophen more effectively do damage.

They knew how bad it was when they OK'd it but it didn't cause bleeding like aspirin does so they sold it to hospitals cheap.

My mother worked at a hospital for 30 years.

Joy

Old 02-22-2010, 05:37 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Those old southern standards, Goody Powders and Stanback are a mixture of aspirin and acetaminophen and are one of the biggest causes of kidney failure.