The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Branch Posts > Airforce

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-17-2005, 02:17 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Post Black Hills Bandit Base CO. Action Line, Rapid City, SD

For all the Airforce folks who miss reading good Action Line letters in the Base Newspaper here is a good one. I like this Base Commanders attitude
------------------------------------------------
Commander?s Action Line

Uniform Presentation

Question: Colonel Smith, I was in the shoppette last week at about 4 p.m. and was standing behind a senior airman from 28th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron with an aircraft maintenance unit patch.

His uniform was filthy, his ball cap looked like he?d drove over it, he smelled and was generally unpresentable. Don?t we enforce standards on this base? He wasn?t a very good representative of our Air Force.

Colonel Smith: Let me get this straight?you saw an Airman, maintainer, who was filthy dirty, stunk and had an oily hat?

Great! I wish you gave me his name so I could push away from this computer right now, drive out to the flightline and give him my wing commander?s coin.

Why?

I suspect that Airman was probably on his tenth hour of work, had no lunch break, likely missed a single smoke break, was freezing to death, was pushed by the flightline ?super? to fix and launch jets, was yelled at for one thing or another ? all in an effort to keep this wing?s mission moving ? flying, fighting and fixing jets to fight again.

I wouldn?t have it any other way. I?ll take that hit.

Sleepless Nights

Question: Colonel Smith, why do we have to run those B-1 engines at all hours of the night? Don?t we have established ?quiet hours?? It?s really annoying to have such loud noise when most people are trying to sleep.

Can you do something about that?

Colonel Smith: I too treasure what little sleep I get every night and understand your concern about quiet hours. However, I also have a commitment to ensuring our jets are operating at their peak performance, and maintenance checks are an integral part of that.

As long as our men and women in uniform (and our government civilians) are responsible for the freedom of this country, we?ll continue to do whatever is necessary to ensure our jets and aircrews are ready when called upon.

Our flightline superintendent has my full and complete authority to do whatever is necessary to keep our line running combat smooth.

No Smoking

Question: Colonel Smith, I?m currently staying in Ellsworth?s Temporary Lodging Facility in a non-smoking room. When I leave the building, there are ash trays right outside the front door with people smoking all the time.

Couldn?t the ash cans be moved away from the entrance so we non-smokers don?t have to smell the nicotine every time we leave the building?

Colonel Smith: Yes, we can and we will. The established smoking area at the TLF is at the rear of the building. We added another can up front to help alleviate the unsightly mess and potential fire hazard caused by smokers who approached the building and threw their lit butts on the ground.

We?ve also added signs directing smokers to the rear of the facility. Thanks for the call.

Pricey Gas

Question: Colonel Smith, why is the Army and Air Force Exchange Service on-base gas price so much higher than off-base? And why do we have to pay tax on gasoline on base when everything else is tax free?

Colonel Smith: It?s AAFES policy to set their gas prices once a week, and they do so by surveying the immediate area?s local gas stations and then setting the price below the lowest found. The problem you cite has to do with the volatile gas prices our country has been facing recently.

Local gas stations can set their prices many times a day, so it?s possible that for a short period our prices may be higher due to our weekly check. But you must agree that over the course of the year, AAFES prices are lower than local prices. And we add tax to our gas as directed by Congress to ensure we all chip in to pay for highway funding.

Movie Phone

Question: Colonel Smith, It seems the base movie theater?s phone line hasn?t been up and running for some time. I don?t live on base and don?t want to drive to base to find out what?s playing. I?m frustrated. Can you do something about it?

Colonel Smith: Done! We just needed to know there was a problem. Please call

385-1685 for the latest movie listings.