0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-03-2003, 07:52 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 
Default THE Wall

After going on 40 years, I still have not found the courage to see that wall in person...
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2003, 08:35 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default "Hallowed ground"

Took me ten years to get up the courage to finally go. The Wall was dedicated in 1982 and in 1992 at the tenth anniversary "reunion" my wife and made the trip to D.C. and spent four days there in Washington. Most moving and "cleansing" experience in my life! Been back every year since then except one (2001) and plan to go back every year I'm still breathing. My sister moved back to the D.C. area in 1994 (she lives in Arlington, VA about three blocks SW of the National Cemetary behind FT. Myer) and we visit her at least once per year.

Best time to go? At daybreak when the sun comes up behind you while facing the Wall. And, you'll be able to find a parking place near by at this time fairly easy.

Fourteen names on that Wall are either close, personal friends, old schoolmates, brothers-in-arms (several of who were KIA the night I got wounded) and ALL are "forever young" and will NEVER BE FORGOTTEN! God Bless the all.

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Old 08-03-2003, 08:39 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Unhappy

Have gone twice and ended up a blubbering mess both times. Last time was 12 years ago and I swore I would never go again. However , my 3/5 Cav. reunion will be there in 05 and I am going with a guy I served with. Damn sandstormes.
Old 08-03-2003, 09:06 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Gimpy & LT,
Just have not been able to do it yet... gotta go, not getting any younger, gotta face it, high school buddies on there and some other ones...I've been to DC a couple of times in the past 36 years, but could not go over there yet, for the reasons you two mentioned.

Not sure if it'll be anger or sorrow...or both.

I'll go at sunrise...
Old 08-03-2003, 10:11 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Unhappy Sacred Ground--The Wall:

I have been to The Wall several times. The first time was the worst, as it took me years to work up the nerve to actually make the trip and face it. When I got there and looked up my Best Buddy I immediately started to rub his name as if trying to physically reach out and feel his presence again. I then started crying uncontrollably until a total stranger came over to me, placed his hand on my shoulder, and told me it was all right. That total stranger was another Vietnam Veteran who was there to visit with guys from his unit, one of which saved that Vietnam Veteran's life at the cost of his own.

The last time I was at that Sacred Ground was last November, when I met LCPD24, and a group of his friends, for the twentieth anniversary ceremonies. During that visit, I was again staring at Panel 45West, and my Buddy's Name, again crying uncontrollably with tears rolling down both of my cheeks. A wheelchair confined Vet, that was missing one leg, then stopped momentarily, asked a friend of his to help him out of his wheelchair, and then gave me a huge bearhug while wishing me WELCOME HOME BROTHER. That hug, from another Vietnam Vet with a serious physical handicap, will live with me for the rest of my life.

I would urge Bluehawk, and any other Vietnam Veteran to make the trip to The Wall. Don't worry about becoming overcome with Grief and showing Emotion. There are a lot of other Vietnam Vets that will be going through the same emotions that you will feel. Because of our unique experiences in Nam, we are a huge family. A family that cares; And wants to help another Vietnam Vet needing comfort. It makes no difference on which branch of the Service you served in. YOU ARE STILL PART OF THE FAMILY and BLOOD IS ALWAYS THICKER THEN WATER.

To all my Vietnam Veteran Brothers and Sisters I Again State:

WELCOME HOME:

VIETNAM 1968
Old 08-03-2003, 12:57 PM

Default Wall visited

I made the trip to the wall in December of 1998. It was snowing like all git-out, and for several minutes I was the only fool out there. I walked down into that hallowed crease and almost immediately began to weep. Then I found a familiar name from my unit and my past. The weeping turned into a flood and my knees went weak. I knelt there crying like I never did before or since. It seemed like I cried for hours before I felt the arm around my shoulder.
When I stood and my eyes cleared enough to see who was holding me, I was truely shocked. The arm belonged to a young man of only 17. He was the son of one of those listed on the wall. He thanked me for my service and the sacrifice which I and all the other Vietnam vets had made. It seemed that he simply vanished from before me, because I cannot for the life of me remember his leaving.
I have been back one other time, but that time felt entirely different. I felt like I was visiting old friends, not lost friends. I had a tear or two in my eyes, but not like the first time. I know now that my friends are honorably remembered and that their names will not fade into obsurity.
If you have not been able to visit the wall, for whatever reason, please do not continue to put it off. There is healing in seeing and visiting with your fallen comrades and those that are living and constantly attending to others at the wall.
The wall brings tears to heal the wounds we all feel and allows us to once again "see" our fallen brothers in a new light.
The names represent 58,000+ true heroes that we, the survivors, need to constantly remember and honor.
Old 08-03-2003, 02:42 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

68 and Tropo,

Yup...it's that Welcome Home I keep hearing.
Old 08-03-2003, 06:05 PM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default I went in February1996

Went to see it on a early Sunday morning. I started crying as I approached the wall and was on my knees at the first section. I said goodbye to my cousin, Maj. William E Adams FA, MOH. Then to several more, some of which I never knew their names. As I was leaving, I passed the nurses statue and more tears. It is kind of like Mecca for the Viet Nam soldier, You need to go at least once in your life.
Old 08-03-2003, 07:19 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Can't say why it's been so difficult to just go and make that visit...
Old 08-03-2003, 09:02 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I was scared because I didn't know what I would do. Since then I have been several times and each time it has been as Shakespeare calls "such sweet sorrow".