Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Branch Posts > Army

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-09-2009, 11:55 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Lightbulb Currahee

The Miracle Of A Word
May 8, 2009

He lay unresponsive in a coma for 23 days at Walter Reed Army Medical Center, after being severely injured in a roadside bomb blast in Afghanistan, that left him with severe TBI and missing his legs. His family kept vigil at his bedside, talking with him, trying to coax him out of his coma, to no avail. His worried family continued to hope and pray, though his prognosis looked grim, due to the severity of his brain injury. One day, last June, with the utterance of one word by a visitor to his hospital room, that all changed.

On that day in June 2008, General David Petraeus came to visit 1LT Brian Brennan, who served with the 101st Airborne Division at the time of his injury. General Petraeus once commanded the 101st. When he arrived, General Petraeus tried speaking typical words of encouragement to the young Soldier.

“Hang tough, big guy.” General Petraeus said. “Your troopers need you back out there.”

There was no response whatsoever from the hospital bed. It didn’t seem to matter that the Commander of US Central Command was in his room, speaking to him. Lt Brennan lay motionless. Petraeus said he really didn’t think there was any hope. As he turned to leave, something made him decide to turn around and try one more thing.

“I just decided to shout out, ‘Currahee,’” said General Petraeus. “We counted one, two, three Currahee.

The word ‘Currahee’ is a Cherokee Indian word that’s also the motto for the Band of Brothers regiment of the 101st Airborne Division. The word translates to English as “We Stand Alone.” The utterance of that single word by General Petraeus somehow broke through the fog and Lt. Brennan responded. that’s when he kind of sat up in the bed as best he could,” said Jim Brennan, Brian’s father. “Like he was saying, ‘I’m in here, I’m in here.”’ Said his mother Joanne Brennan.

“All of a sudden, the lieutenant, his stumps are banging up and down on the sheets. His head is moving around and very clearly responding to his unit’s nickname,” said Petraeus. “For three weeks, he had not responded to the voices of his family, but that Band of Brothers motto brought him back from the living dead.”

That day in June, marked the beginning of his miraculous recovery. Brian is now out of Walter Reed, receiving out patient rehabilitation on his hand, his prosthetic legs and his speech. His memory is improving and less than a year after his horrific injuries happened, he delivered a speech to a crowd of around 2,000 people. He was also able to meet up with General Petraeus again, when he introduced Brennan as the unsung hero in the New Jersey Hall of Fame.

“I accept this honor on behalf of all service men and women …..” 1LT Brennan began. “And guess what happened,” said his father.
“One, two, three, Currahee!” said Petraeus

His hometown has rallied around him and his family, to make sure that Brennan is able to return home and continue recovering from his injuries, creating a trust to help defray the costs of travel, treatment and ensuring that Brandon would have a wheelchair compatible place to live. A new 1,000 square foot addition has been constructed onto his parents home in Howell, N.J. A team of volunteers in the community donated time, money and labor to construct the addition, so that Lt. Brennan would be able to return home during his recovery, yet be independent. The construction was a complete effort of the community.

“This has been one of the most rewarding experiences, and I have met some of the nicest people,” said Jack McNaboe who took the lead in the volunteer effort.

According to Brandon’s father, Jim Brennan, the Stands Alone trust fund that was set up, has exceeded Brian’s needs. The family plans to begin helping the families of other wounded veterans with the additional funds received.

“Our mission is to help the family members and the loved ones of wounded soldiers stay (with them) longer through their recovery, so the Soldier’s health can improve,” said Joanne Brennan. “I want to meet with the families of wounded veterans and see their faces when I say, ‘Give me your bills. Don’t worry, stay with your loved one.’”

See Video Here:

http://www.truveo.com/a-remarkable-recovery/id/2116070535

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2009, 11:57 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Lightbulb US Army 1st Lt Brian Brennan Home Coming

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 05-20-2009, 09:09 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Wow

Outstanding, simply outstanding. A well deserved home coming for a hero.

If your going to suceed your going to have to know how to deal with failure. (Joe Torre).