The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-27-2004, 08:55 AM

We used to say that drinking Ballantine Beer was like making love in a canoe....it was F***ing near water.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2004, 05:09 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

colmurph,

Gotta disagree with you about Ballantine. It has a lot more flavor and body than Coors or Olympia, anyway. We had a bunch of Brit airmen at our base once and we took them to the Airman's Club (that is, before we hit the strip joints) for a few beers (the aforementioned Coors and Olympia). After several, one of the said to me, "Don't you blokes put any beer in your water?"

Gimme a Sam Adams any day!..or a Ballentine...or a Guiness...or a Molson's...or a Wachusetts Nut Brown Ale...or a Speckled Hen...or a Nottingham Ale...
Old 05-28-2004, 05:19 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

PBR!

MY RED NECK, WHITE SOCKS, AND A BLUE RIBBON BEER!

Pabst in the long neck bottles.....now that's beer!

Have a "Cool Blue".

Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 05-28-2004, 05:37 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Ballantine beer , ale and pale ale are , to this day , the only brews I can tell by taste alone. Course we had a frig downstairs that only held those brews. Dad got a 6 pack at the end of every shift . Once when I was a teen ager and Dad had worked overtime Sat and Sunday his weekly check was a little over 100 dollars and he was so proud. he showed us the check. We could not believe a man could make over 100 dollars in a week. We were Arericans living the dream. Bunch of dreams in those Ballantine cans.
Old 05-28-2004, 02:58 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up MOLSON'S

Sittin' here drinking one as I type this. MMMM, MMMM! Gonna have a HARP next. Gotta agree with you on at least the OLY, Dan. And I'm from the West. Do like the Original COOR'S, though. We used to have a S.F. beer, BURGERMIESTER, that was excellent. It went out of production years ago. Too bad, BURGIE was a good beer. We do have a beer that dates back to the Gold Rush days; ANCHOR STEAM. It used to be pretty much just a western distribution, but now I think it's almost national. If it's available, try it. A good beer. If possible, wash down some EXTRA sourdough french bread with it.

Haven't drank many Eastern beers in years. That was about all that made it to Nam, though. Packo, your right about PABST. Pretty good beer. I liked the HAMM'S, also. BALLANTINE was probably my least favorite. Well, that's a lie........BLACK LABEL was my least favorite. Everybody else's in-country also, since that was about the only beer that made out in the field to us. That's not to say that BALLANTINE was a bad beer. To be fair, I'm sure that we weren't getting any of these beers in their prime. After sitting on a dock somewhere in the States, for God knows how long, before being loaded into a hot cargo hold of a ship, then traveling half way around the world, only to be off-loaded on a dock in the tropics and sitting for, God knows how long, it wouldn't surprise me if it lost ALOT of it's quality.

Headin' to the 'fridge for that HARP now.
Old 05-28-2004, 05:17 PM

They make a real beer in Lewes, Delaware called Dogfish 120 Minute IPA. Their 60 Min. is around 8% the 90 Min. is around 10% and the 120 Min. is around 14 1/2% alcohol! That's as strong as most "Fortified" wines.