The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Veterans > Veterans Appreciation

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-09-2003, 05:30 PM

Default Happy Veterans Day

Just wanted to give a special "Thank you" to my fellow brothers and sisters for all of your services to this wonderful country of ours. Some of us served in war time, others of us, not. Regardless, we all have "stood the watch" and have been where honor has directed that we be in our nation's time of need.

On this Veterans Day, I would like to celebrate each and every one of us here and everywhere, on this board and not. Without us, this country would not be the "land of milk and honey" that it is today. It's not perfect, by any means, but it's as close as paradise gets, anywhere. We all joined and served to make it this way.

To my brothers and sisters who went to war, I, personally, would like to say a special "THANKS!!" to you for your service. Thanks for your sacrifice in making it possible for me to have all the wonderful things I've been blessed with in my life, for they have been many.

Have a very special and happy Vet's Day, all!!

Semper Fi.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2003, 06:37 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Happy Armistice Day On the 11 hour on the 11h day of November our forefathers signed the Armistice Agreement and the war was over amen
Old 11-09-2003, 07:24 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Celebrate!

And will be doing just that with a bunch of really good folks from our local VFW post! Happy V Day to all!
Scouts Out!!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 11-09-2003, 07:29 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Wishing all of you the best of the best on Veteran's Day. If you have a few moments, stop by a cemetery and read some of the VA tombstones of the fallen in battle, and those who died later. It always has a way of putting things in perspective for me. Then say a prayer, and move out....

May God Bless,

Larry
Old 11-09-2003, 07:40 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

My youngest son, when he was 7, asked me what Veterans Day was... hard to express.

I took him to the SF Presidio/Fort Point on the day... we walked among the memorials and stones... and over near the Base museum was a rather large old cannon... one that had itself been struck on the barrel by counter-fire in some war... the body of the barrel had to have been 8" thick cast iron and maybe 18" around. It had a large part of its front end blown completely off, leaving a jagged remnant... I raised the little boy onto the barrel, and he laid his face down on it, on a very cool November day. Nothing more has been mentioned on the topic between us since. He just turned 23.

Blessings to all, vets of every kind.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:14 AM

Send a message via ICQ to USNLSC Send a message via Yahoo to USNLSC

Howe Avenue Elementary School, Sacramento CA, students ride a float in Sacramento's Veterans Day parade at the state Capitol on Saturday, waving flags to thank veterans for their military service.

For photo visit: http://www.sacbee.com/content/news/s...-8694786c.html

Actually the float was a pickup decorated for the occasion by the kids and a few adults. The white pickup is no longer white, it has a blue hood with white stars, then along the sides are red stripes.

For more on the pickup's owner and his labor of love website honoring vets visit: http://www.patriotwatch.com

Phelps Hobart,
Veteran, U. S. Navy
http://ourtown.sacbee.com/845
Old 11-10-2003, 04:58 PM

Send a message via ICQ to USNLSC Send a message via Yahoo to USNLSC
Thumbs up

Another report on the truck and parade here in Sacramento:

Hello!

I had a glorious weekend!

Ice cream social at Howe Elementary:

I walked into a brightly-lit cafeteria filled with the biggest grins and happiest voices of children decorating their cafeteria for their beloved vets. Patriotism was in the air! The families walked around the room as the children proudly showed their writing samples, artwork and decorations for "the soldiers." And indeed two soldiers came: 2 marines who proudly admired the room, the school's efforts, the yummy ice cream and the patriotism. They presented the colors and wowed the kids with their solemn dignity. As I left that evening I heard many a young voice say, "I'm going to be a Marine."

Veterans' Day Parade:

The crew of dedicated teachers from the night before showed up at the Bunker to decorate the pickup. With Phelps' gift of breakfast and last-minute trips to pick up more red white and blue supplies, the end result was a beautiful array of red white and blue stars/stripes/hearts/bows and flags.

The best part was yet to come:

We had over a dozen children and their moms in the float singing "This Land is Your Land," chanting "U.S.A," calling out "Hello" to anyone who was listening and waving their flags.

Over five people stopped what they were doing along the parade route and saluted these young patriots. Every person who saw them waved back. Tons clapped as the children passed. Why? They were the ONLY elementary school there. They know the meaning of pride, dignity, dedication and appreciation. Here they are:

http://www.sacbee.com/content/news/s...-8694786c.html

The result:

Dave Jenest (our flunky-in-charge and float driver) and the teachers of Howe Elementary have decided to make the ice cream social and the Parade entry an annual event. And I, for one, will be with them.

Thank you to teacher Vicki, Alice and all the other teachers, Dave, the moms and dads and most of all the children and the vets for a most magical weekend.

~Marisa