Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Iraqi Freedom

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-28-2005, 01:08 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default Lynndie England Gets 3 Years

AP

Army Pfc. Lynndie England, who said she was only trying to please her soldier boyfriend when she took part in detainee abuse at Iraq's Abu Ghraib prison, was sentenced to three years behind bars.

England's sentencing late Tuesday wrapped up the last of nine courts-martial of low-level soldiers charged in the abuse scandal, which severely damaged America's image in the Muslim world and tarnished the U.S. military at home and abroad.

The jury of five Army officers needed about 90 minutes to determine their sentence for England, a 22-year-old reservist from rural West Virginia.

The charges carried up to nine years, but prosecutor Capt. Chris Graveline asked the jury to imprison her for four to six years. The defense asked for no time behind bars.

England sat with her eyes forward as the verdict was read, occasionally looking down.

England, the most recognizable of the reservists charged after the graphic abuse photos became public, was convicted Monday on six of the seven counts against her.

The shocking photos of reservists abusing and sexually humiliating prisoners were first broadcast on the CBS News broadcast 60 Minutes II in April 2004.

She apologized Tuesday for posing for the photos, saying she did so at the behest of Pvt. Charles Graner Jr., the boyfriend who she said took advantage of her love and trust while they were deployed in Iraq.

"I was used by Pvt. Graner," England said. "I didn't realize it at the time."

England, the most recognizable of the nine enlisted soldiers charged in the Abu Ghraib scandal after photos of the abuse became public, was convicted on six of the seven counts against her.

At the end of her half-hour statement, made by responding to questions from defense lawyer Capt. Katherine Krul, England said she was embarrassed by the photos.

She appeared in several of the best-known images taken by U.S. guards at Abu Ghraib in Iraq in late 2003. In one photo, she held a naked prisoner on a leash, while in others she posed with a pyramid of naked detainees and pointed at the genitals of a prisoner while a cigarette hung from a corner of her mouth.

England also apologized to the detainees and their families, as well as to American soldiers who may have suffered in Iraq for her misguided actions.

"I heard attacks were made on coalition forces because of the photos," she said. "I apologize to coalition forces and their families that lost their life or were injured because of the photos."

England's defense has contended that she is a weak, compliant person who took part in the detainee maltreatment to please Graner, who prosecutors said was the domineering ringleader of the abuse by a group of U.S. troops.

In a calm, deliberate voice, England recounted how her relationship with Graner, 14 years her senior, developed as they prepared for deployment to Iraq with the 372nd Military Police Company in 2003.

"He was very charming, funny and at the time it looked to me like he was interested in the same things I was. ... He made me feel good about myself," she said. "I trusted him and I loved him. ... Now I know it was just an act to lure me in."

England's court-martial was the final trial for low-level soldiers charged with abuse at Abu Ghraib. Graner and another former guard were also convicted at trial, while six other soldiers struck plea bargains. No officers have gone to trial, though several received administrative punishment.

Earlier Tuesday, Graner supported testimony from a defense witness that officers in charge failed to control the guards at the Baghdad prison, creating stressful conditions that disoriented England and led her to take part in the mistreatment.

Graner testified that he, England and others who worked the overnight shift in a high-security section of Abu Ghraib had scant supervision.

"It seems like the junior soldiers were on their own," said Graner, who England has said is the father of her infant son. "We had little leadership."

Graner said he told officers about detainee maltreatment, which he claimed was done by order of military intelligence personnel. And at times, he said, military intelligence officers actually were present for the abuse.

"I nearly beat an MI detainee to death with MI there," he said before Col. James Pohl, the judge, interrupted his testimony.

Stjepan Mestrovic, a sociology professor at Texas A&M University testifying as an expert defense witness, had said England should be punished lightly because of the "poisonous environment" that existed at Abu Ghraib.

"She was caught up in this chaotic situation like everyone else," said Mestrovic, who also testified that officers at Abu Ghraib "knew or should have known what was going on."

A psychologist said England came from an emotionally abusive family, was prone to depression and that she suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder even before deploying to Iraq.

Xavier Amador said England also had a deviant sexual relationship with Graner that affected her ability to know her actions were wrong.

U.S. Army Pfc. Lynndie R. England, arrives at the courthouse, Tuesday, Sept. 27, 2005, in Fort Hood, Texas. England apologized for her actions in an unsworn statement.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2005, 02:29 AM

Distinctions
VOM 

Thats amazing gall her a PFC claiming a PVT forced her to participate in her actions in Iraq..... That for an enlisted person to claim would be the same thing as a Capt claiming that a LT encouraged em' to do the same type of thing. Thats the learning our youngsters got from our past CIC Clinton trying to argue the meaning of "IT" & the art of NO personal responsibility! All of us had the same UJMC briefings in Basic and regular Armed Conflict briefings on what you can do with Non-combatants. Her excuses just don't hold water
Old 09-28-2005, 04:43 AM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Jerry...I believe the above posted ranks are the rank they hold now and not the rank they held at the time of the abuse. Not sure what their ranks were, maybe someone could help with that.

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 09-28-2005, 04:57 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Trav , I was wondering about that my self, I had heard them referred to as a couple of different ranks on different news shows yesterday. But still I know that the two big briefings all troops get now days should have let these soldiers know that going beyond stated orders wouldn't be acceptable if they did what they wanted to with out regards to General Orders and the UCMJ ! The Guards at Leavenworth and the Incarcerated there shouldn't give her or any of the other MP's too bad a time since they didn't get sentenced for any fraternal(against another soldier)crimes or against women or Children.So, they should be safe in the general population.
Like someone mentioned in the "three years" post, she should have plenty of time to write her memoirs while in Leavenworth.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:44 PM

She's got some mean eye's don't she?

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 11-10-2005, 08:35 AM
Robert J Ryan

she shouldn't have got no time. Just to appease the American public the people were courtmatialed. Did the American people seem it was okay when the filiming of an American Citizen was getting his cut off and put on the internet for the world to see. Did the American people seen that it was okay to burn American Security Personnel, hang there bodies on a bridge and then drag them along a street. Does it seem that it is okay for insurgents to kill children and other innocent people by bombs, but see them as freedom fighters. Hell no I say, what they did in that prison was more like a fraternity hazing then torture. Too damn bad they were degregated. Guess you can't own a holy bible in Saudi Arbia, but some Muslim who helped kill over 3,000 people on 9/11 gripes cause some soldier or marine who has been pushed to the llimit get water on gets water on the Koran. Bull crap. The standard military of sh*t rolls down hill is what happened here. I don't know about you, but I would welcome her on this site.