Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-27-2005, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default Timeline, May 27th

FIRST INDOCHINA WAR:
May 27, 1946 (27th day of the 4th month, Year of the Dog [Binh Tuat]): To counter dissent that has arisen after he signed the accord in March letting the French re-enter Vietnam, Ho Chi Minh merges the Viet Minh into the Lien Viet, a larger, more embracing "national front." Amity within the Lien Viet, however, will last only as long as the Chinese remain in North Vietnam. When they withdraw a few weeks later, in mid-June, the Viet Minh, supported by French troops, will attack the Dong Minh Hoi and the VNQDD, as "enemies of the peace," effectively suppressing organized opposition, and asserting Viet Minh control throughout North Vietnam.

SECOND INDOCHINA WAR:
May 27, 1967 (18th day of the 4th month, Year of the Goat [Dinh Mui]) (US Counteroffensive Phase II): An SAS ambush patrol kills one VC in the area of the Song Ria.

May 27, 1967 (18th day of the 4th month, Year of the Goat [Dinh Mui]) (US Counteroffensive Phase II): In Binh Duong Province, the lead element of an approaching large enemy force identifies an American ambush ahead and starts to withdraw.

May 27, 1968 (1st day of the 5th month, Year of the Monkey [Mau Than]) (US Counteroffensive Phase IV): Foxtrot Ridge: Things are quiet all day, and the Marines stay put, keeping in the shade or patrolling in the area. As night falls, four Marines from 1st Platoon head out to set up a listening post about 50 meters from the southwestern portion of the perimeter.

Late May 1969 (3rd and 4th months, Year of the Rooster [Ky Dau]) (US Tet69/Counteroffensive): 1 ATF conducts Operation Laverack. Over 100 VC are KIA.

May 27, 1969 (12th day of the 4th month, Year of the Rooster [Ky Dau]) (US Tet69/Counteroffensive): Near An Hoa, a combat engineer demolition team of US Marines is assigned to locate and destroy enemy artillery ordnance and concealed firing devices.

May 27, 1972 (15th day of the 4th month, Year of the Rat [Nham Ty]) (US Cease-Fire): Nguyen Hue/Easter Offensive: The NVA make a surprise thrust with two regiments and one tank company against the ARVN 44th Regiment held in reserve in Kontum City's hospital complex. Fierce fighting ensues in and around this area, resulting in a melee between enemy infantry and T-54 tanks on one side and ARVN troops and TOW missiles and ARVN LAW rockets on the other. By late morning the enemy advance has been halted but NVA infantry still hold the northernmost compound and continue to harass the airfield. From these and other positions across the northern part of the city, the enemy fans out and forms pockets of resistance, particularly in areas where friendly use of fire is limited. Despite all the efforts of ARVN troops and the firepower of U.S. tactical air and gunships, and even the commitment of ARVN tanks held in reserve, it is difficult to dislodge the enemy from these positions.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2005, 01:11 PM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Default A warm night in the field

I?m sort of surprised that our battle wasn?t on the list of importing things that took place in this date. During the spring (May) offensive of 1968 the NVA had two full divisions that made their way to the general Saigon area. Many of the enemy attacked the 25th Division and 1st Division base camps and FSB?s in the area. The enemy then sent two regiments toward Saigon with the intent of over running Ton Son Nuht.

At the last minute the 25th sent 4/23rd Mechanized battalion with elements of the 2/34th armor to block the advance. The 1st send the entire 3/4th Armored Cavalry to accomplish the same job. There was one hell of a battle with Charles getting as close as 10 feet from the front of my APC. Our ?C? and ?B? companies alone were credited with 216 kills. This was not a pentagon figure. We had two Rome plows come out and dig trenches. The bodies were counted as they were thrown or pushed into the trenches.

There?s an SKS-56 hanging on the wall behind my computer. It was taken from a VC scout who was leading a platoon of NVA. The scout decided my track would be a great target of opportunity. The SKS was firing straight tracers to define the target. Not liking the idea of being the target that little SOB took at least a half dozen .50 rounds. Later, I took his damn rifle.

We received a copy of a letter of thanks from General Westmoreland and he sent a message to Nixon about the fight. That?s why I can?t understand why it wouldn?t have been on a list of things that happened on that date. At the time, it was called the Battle of the Race Track. (The Saigon race track was just north of the airport.

Stay healthy,
Andy
PS: Dave, no disrespect intended and I?m sure your using the best information available to you. However, although I?m happy the Marines had a quiet night, we didn?t.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

I apologize for the oversight Andy. The material is compiled by a second party from limited resources and does have many gaps. Thank you for helping to fill it in.