Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Warfare > Sea

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-09-2021, 05:33 AM

Unhappy USS Donald Cook Conducts Burial at Sea

USS Donald Cook Conducts Burial at Sea
By Ens. Chase Liddon | March 9, 2021
Re: https://www.c6f.navy.mil/Press-Room/...burial-at-sea/

Photo link: https://media.defense.gov/2021/Mar/0...RG171-0261.JPG
210304-N-RG171-0261 MEDITERRANEAN SEA (Mar. 4, 2021) Cmdr. Matthew Curnen, commanding officer of the Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Donald Cook (DDG 75), front right, speaks during a burial-at-sea, Mar. 4, 2021. Donald Cook, forward-deployed to Rota, Spain, is on patrol in the U.S. Sixth Fleet area of operations in support of regional allies and partners and U.S. national security in Europe and Africa. (U.S. Navy photo by Machinist’s Mate 1st Class Peter Stitzel/Released) (Photo by Machinist’s Mate 1st Class Peter Stitzel)

MEDITERRANEAN SEA —
Sailors aboard the Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Donald Cook (DDG 75) conducted a burial at sea Mar. 4, 2021.

While transiting the Mediterranean Sea, the crew of Donald Cook paused for an afternoon to perform a burial at sea—a time honored tradition among professional mariners that dates back centuries.

“A burial at sea is often considered one of the most solemn ceremonies performed aboard a ship,” said Cmdr. Matt Curnen, Donald Cook commanding officer. “It is important we take time out of our busy schedules to recognize the service of a brother in arms, and send him off with the honor and tradition that his service and sacrifice warrants.”

Conducting a burial at sea is no small undertaking—it takes a lot of prior planning and practice to perform at the appropriate level. The crew of Donald Cook held numerous rehearsals over a span of a month to ensure the burial was executed sharply.

The burial began with the ship maneuvering for winds and ceremoniously lowering the Ensign to half-mast from the yardarm. The word “all hands bury the dead,” was passed on the ship’s announcing system and the crew assembled on the flight deck. Chaplain Travis Gardner led the crew in prayer followed by words from the commanding officer. The ceremony also included the firing of three volleys, playing of taps by a bugler, and presenting the national ensign to the commanding officer following the committal of the remains to the sea. This ceremony served as a powerful reminder of the dedication to service and deep traditions within the Navy.

Curnen addressed the crew of Donald Cook during the ceremony to offer solemn words of condolence.

“Let us take this opportunity to recommit to our service, to honor the sacrifice of our brothers and sisters in arms, and that of our ship’s namesake, Col. Donald G. Cook, U.S. Marine Corps,” said Curnen. “Let us be good stewards of the Navy and the ship on which we serve. In doing so, we honor their memories and ensure that their sacrifice are never forgotten.”

Donald Cook is currently on her 11th patrol of the U.S. Sixth Fleet area of responsibility in support of U.S. national security interests in Europe and Africa.

Four U.S. Navy destroyers, including Donald Cook, are based in Rota, Spain, and assigned to Commander, Task Force 65 in support of NATO’s Integrated Air Missile Defense architecture. These Forward-Deployed Naval Forces-Europe ships have the flexibility to operate throughout the waters of Europe and Africa, from the Cape of Good Hope to the Arctic Circle, demonstrating their mastery of the maritime domain.

U.S. Sixth Fleet, headquartered in Naples, Italy, conducts the full spectrum of joint and naval operations, often in concert with allied, and interagency partners, in order to advance U.S. national interests and security and stability in Europe and Africa.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personal note: I always told my kids I'd like to be cremated and buried at sea. If that couldn't happen -
I said cremate me - and just toss me in the trash - and I will be buried with the rest of the garbage.
-
My wife wants to be cremated and buried with her Mom - I said I will take care of that.
My kids don't want to hear this type of talk - but I said - hey look - nobody lives forever!
-
Today even when we die it cost a fortune. I also said - I've been to so many funerals and to me - it is such a waste of money.
If you didn't come and visit me while I was alive why would you come to my funeral? My kids said - Dad that's sick.
I said let's be real. The expense isn't worth it.
-
I've always been like that - I believe in God and that's all that counts. God doesn't care where your buried your soul is
going where-ever it goes in the end.
-
Today the hospitals will try to keep you alive knowing the end result will happen regardless if they take you off those
expensive drugs and keep you in a vegetated state with little or nor hope for any quality of life - THAT ISN'T LIVING!
-
I had to pull the plug on my Dad - My Little Sister - and watch my other Sister have to let her daughter go - because
there was just no fix - only vegetation and large medical bills.
-
You all will have to come to this choice at sometime in your life - think real hard about it - its tough to do -
but why not let them go - if there is no hope!
-
Sorry about these comments above - I know it offends some or many - but I've buried so many family and friends over
the years that many have gone into debt trying to give them a great send off -
BUT THIS IS SOMETHING EACH OF US WILL FACE MORE THAN ONCE IN OUR LIVES!
As tragic as it is - everybody needs to do what they think is best - YES it's tough - and yet it won't bring them back -
if you're flush with cash - do your thing.
-
I'm saddened just thinking of all those who have passed - but I know they are all in a better place.
Hadn't made your plan's yet - you better!
-
By the way my wife and I both have life insurance not much but some.
Those funds will go to my kids and grandkids - not to a funeral home.
-
Boats

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links