The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-31-2003, 11:24 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default discussion on motorcycles....

I would like to start a thread about motorcycles. I witnessed a horrible wreck ( no details unless you PM me ) when I was in the 10th grade. Paul McCartney was singing "Yesterday" on the radio as it happened. Every time I hear that song I have a flashback. Prior to that I was interested in getting a Honda. This was about 1964 or so. All of my friends had Crusairs, Hondas and the like. Of course there were no helmets etc. and many paid the price. I never got on a motorcycle again. Since then I have had a good friend at work who was in a bad wreck. It took him 6 months and he is about 90% now. I drive about 50 miles every day to work and back most being on the interstate. This has been my routine for most of the past 31 years. I have seen so much bad driving, that now it really takes something VERY VERY BAD to even get my attention or cause me to give the one-fingered-salute. The reason I know this is when others ride with me and they get bent out of shape about something, it is usually behavior I have seen so many times I just ignore it. My best friend, who is 55, and has just had a close brush with cancer has gotten his motorcycle license and is seriously thinking of buying a Hog and riding. All I could tell him ( he was a Deputy Sheriff for 23 years ) was look at the folks who will riding in cars around you...

I would like your views on motorcycle safety, what you enjoy and dislike about 'cycles, and what you own. There must be at least 20 or more dedicated bikers here. I admire you all. Wish I could join.

All the best,

larry ... just ... larry

DEO VINDICE
Old 02-01-2003, 01:53 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

I spent my early years around a lot of motorcycles. We had a few and the brothers had many more. Growing up I remember parts all over the kitchen and cleaning parts for my dad in the driveway with gasoline. I have always wanted to get one myself but have seen too much damage and too many close calls to be able to motivate myself to do so. My uncle rode his Goldwing off of a cliff. He had been riding for many years and still screwed up. He still has the jacket he rode the pavement on to the edge of the cliff, all torn up with the stuffing popping out. He came about a foot from a very long fall. That was the last motorcycle he bought. My mom still has gravel in her leg from a time when her and my dad layed one down up in Washington state. Those are a couple of the lucky stories. I cant even think about the unlucky ones.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 03:54 AM

Mort;

I also am THINKING of buying a Harley ( dont want a big one though), but something I see every morning in the mirror reminds me of the Honda 350 Scrambler, completely chopped ( you know springer front and ape hangers with with real wheel and narrow front) That was about32 years ago.

But what I see in morning in the mirror is my front tooth missing. I went around a corner after making a stop, but the car didnt see me, so I took the spill and didnt get the plate number of the car.

Dont get me wrong, I love motorcycles, but the common driver of a car or truck most of the time dont know you are there or dont give a hoot.

One of my dreams/fantisies is to ride with Kyle Petty from Calf to (I think it is NC). They all ride Harleys but you can join them on a short trip with even a Moped if you can keep up.

I might also add that all the riders are properly attired for the long ride.

Personally I hate the helmet law, but Tx dont have it anymore.

Blocks you vision to much.

The very sad thing I can remember that I was dating a girl from Ohio after being discharged from the Navy, and she was also dating her long time boyfriend. One day he seen me and her on my bike ( the Honda) and went to get him one. Well to make a long story short, he was decapitated on his way to work at A.O. Smith by running under an 18 wheeler. Left behind a pretty young wife and a pretty young daughter.

USE YOUR HEAD IF YOU BUY ONE.

Maybe some of the Pysoco (sp) vets will meet and ride to gether. What a site that would make. Shivers!!!!!!

enough/more..................
Old 02-01-2003, 04:50 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to masher51
Default My Subject

Well, I've been riding for 30+ years and have had honda Goldwings and currently ride a 1996 Ultra-Classic Harley.

I will admit that over the course of time I've had many close calls!

I've been down twice,once at 16 years of age and 3 years ago

when I was hit by a deer!!

I have always just tried to use some common sense and have

gone by a statement my dad made to me many years ago.

He told me that when I think I'm the boss then the bike will

show me I'm wrong!

Well, so far I've been pretty lucky and love riding more than

anything else.

I look at it this way.Life itself is a great big risk just going out of

the house these days.

I want to enjoy at least something and that is bikes.

Well, safe riding to you bros!

masher
Old 02-01-2003, 05:57 AM

Masher:

GOOD "readers digest" version. Mine was all drawn out, but made the point.

Bet it is hell riding around Pa.

KEEP ON RIDING!!!!!!!!!///////

Just dont do the one figure salute......

enough.............
Old 02-02-2003, 05:00 PM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Been riding and racing

Motorcycles for almost 40 years, I have always worn a helmet. Something about keeping your head while all others are losing theirs. We are debating about bringing the Harleys to Savannah to meet Paco and Andy. Me, Frank, DMZ-LT and White Oak. A psyco vets ride just after St Patrics day???
Old 02-02-2003, 05:13 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Motorcycles

We had a motor scooter (cushman) on the farm back in the fifties. We also had an old service cycle. A mini motorcycle used in the WW II. My older brother got hooked on cycles. He still rides them. I never got hooked.

My son was coming home from work as a passenger on a Honda gold wing. A lady ran a stop sign and slammed into my son and the other kid on the cycle. He spent the next six years under going reconstructive surgery, fortunately he was wearing a helmet. He suffered a concussion and mostly recovered but still has some trouble with congnitive thinking. If he hadn't wore a helmet he'd be dead. He for the most part looks and acts normal but his life has been changed forever. So I have some mixed emotions about them. I never criticize those ride them. But, they certainly aren't for me. My son has never got on one since. Be careful guys. And never say it can't happen to me.

Keith
Old 02-02-2003, 09:08 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to masher51
Default Understand

Keith:
I can sure understand how you would feel the way you do.My
som bought a Roadking and even though I ride I'm still nervous
because he hasn't been riding that long and like you say,it
can and does happen.
regards,
mash
Old 02-03-2003, 05:38 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default My older Brother

Was riding a Harley to our Grandmothers house in 1957, he came upon a car wreck that had spilled gas and oil on the road and lost control of the Harley. He lost the kneecap on his right leg and walked with a severe limp the rest of his life. In 1993 he fell and broke his hip at work, When he was in the hospital the doctors said they could now fix his knee as good as new and would do it when the put in a couple of pins in his hip. He never recovered from anesthesia, My younger brother and I said it was the Harley that got him, took it almost 35 years but it was the Harley. Sounded much better than falling 4 feet from a step ladder.
Old 02-03-2003, 06:08 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Been putting my face in the wind for 38 years. Riding in a car you look out and see a picture - on the bike you are IN the picture. Have laid it down twice . I ride like the cars around me are going to try to run me over and I am usually right . Wouldn't wear a helmet if I didn't have to . Currently own the loudest 79 Harley 1'000 cc Sporty I have ever heard. I built it in a dungeon. When I was much younger with small children and pretty poor my wife would tell me I had to sell the bike so we could do something ( buy food) but I told her we would sell one of the kids first. I still miss that 3rd child. Riding with Sid with the Psyco Vets shirts on is fun and produces strange behaviors in others