The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-22-2008, 05:12 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

Deb and I are leaving today for a week on Edisto Island, SC for Thanksgiving. We want to take this time to wish everyone a most joyus Thanksgiving. I'm being forced to stay in a beach front home and play golf. Darn the luck!

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

See y'all in a week.

Pack and Deb

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2008, 05:17 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Same to you and yours, Packo! As we used to say in the old country, "Eat the bird!"
Old 11-22-2008, 03:07 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Shirley and I are heading to Ashevill, NC to the Grove Park Inn. Her nephew is in management there. Employee discount. I probably won't laugh as much as the last time I was there with Packo.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:38 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

The wife and I both have to work our respective jobs. I have a turkey in the fridge but will be there on Friday.

Thanksgiving is a day that the Indians saved the pilgrims with food. And that food most likely was deer not turkey.

Ron
Old 11-22-2008, 05:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to 82Rigger
Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Thanks, Packy!

Ya'll have a good trip.

Steve / 82Rigger
Old 11-22-2008, 06:58 PM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 

Kati was going to go to Portland with her grandmother but the plans changed midstream. One way or the other, I`m going Deer and Elk hunting. Ends on the 30th. Finally got some snow!
Happy Turkey Day everyone.

Peace,Griz
Old 11-22-2008, 09:57 PM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 

Go get them Griz Venison for thanks giving sounds yummy. better then a dried up old bird.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:29 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default My Wife is a Pilgrim!

My wife is a Mayflower descendant. So we remember Thanksgiving a little differently. She knows that if John Alden and Priscilla Mullins hadn't survived that first winter, she wouldn't be alive today. So, my wife is very grateful to the Native folks who helped them and showed them how to farm and harvest fish. Contrary to eveyone's opinion of deer and turkey, the main survival protein for the Pilgrins was fish and shell fish. 51 of the 104 passengers died that first winter, they didn't have any natives helping them until the spring. That First Thanksgiving they had venison, turkey, duck, fish, shell fish, plus the corn and squash they grew. It was quite a feast for folks who almost starved to death. That first winter they lived on the Mayflower and not on shore. Probably the tight living quarters spread disease rapidly. What no one can figure out is why they left in September and didn't have enough food supplies to take them through the winter, just doesn't make sense. Of course they were planning on staying in Virginia or somewhere in the Carolina's. Probably thought that they could rummage up more food than they did. But, over half did survive. Enough to establish a little town.

["They began now to gather in the small harvest they had, and to fit up their houses and dwellings against winter, being all well recovered in health and strength and had all things in good plenty. For as some were thus employed in affairs abroad, others were exercised in fishing, about cod and bass and other fish, of which they took good store, of which every family had their portion. All the summer there was no want; and now began to come in store of fowl, as winter approached, of which this place did abound when they came first (but afterward decreased by degrees). And besides waterfowl there was great store of wild turkeys, of which they took many, besides venison, etc. Besides, they had about a peck of meal a week to a person, or now since harvest, Indian corn to that proportion. Which made many afterwards write so largely of their plenty here to their friends in England, which were not feigned but true reports." - William Bradford's, First Governor of the Plymouth Colony, report of the First Thanksgiving.]

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Keith

Last edited by Keith_Hixson; 11-22-2008 at 11:15 PM.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:50 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith_Hixson View Post
My wife is a Mayflower descendant. So we remember Thanksgiving a little differently. She knows that if John Alden and Priscilla Mullins hadn't survived that first winter, she wouldn't be alive today. So, my wife is very grateful to the Native folks who helped them and showed them how to farm and harvest fish. Contrary to eveyone's opinion of deer and turkey, the main survival protein for the Pilgrins was fish and shell fish. 51 of the 104 passengers died that first winter, they didn't have any natives helping them until the spring. That First Thanksgiving they had venison, turkey, duck, fish, shell fish, plus the corn and squash they grew. It was quite a feast for folks who almost starved to death. That first winter they lived on the Mayflower and not on shore. Probably the tight living quarters spread disease rapidly. What no one can figure out is why they left in September and didn't have enough food supplies to take them through the winter, just doesn't make sense. Of course they were planning on staying in Virginia or somewhere in the Carolina's. Probably thought that they could rummage up more food than they did. But, over half did survive. Enough to establish a little town.

["They began now to gather in the small harvest they had, and to fit up their houses and dwellings against winter, being all well recovered in health and strength and had all things in good plenty. For as some were thus employed in affairs abroad, others were exercised in fishing, about cod and bass and other fish, of which they took good store, of which every family had their portion. All the summer there was no want; and now began to come in store of fowl, as winter approached, of which this place did abound when they came first (but afterward decreased by degrees). And besides waterfowl there was great store of wild turkeys, of which they took many, besides venison, etc. Besides, they had about a peck of meal a week to a person, or now since harvest, Indian corn to that proportion. Which made many afterwards write so largely of their plenty here to their friends in England, which were not feigned but true reports." - William Bradford's, First Governor of the Plymouth Colony, report of the First Thanksgiving.]

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Keith
I hope everyone had a great holiday !!! My neighbor, when I lived in Bartlett, TN, before my divorce, was also a Mayflower descendent. His last name was Soule. I found his last name while doing some genealogical work at our main library. I asked him, and he said oh yes, it was no big deal........go figure.

Larry