Old 09-01-2003, 06:19 AM

Distinctions
VOM 
Cool A Miracle on 42nd Street!

U.S. Marine Corps
Staff Sgt. Marcos Cordero

A Miracle on 42nd Street!

By U.S. Marine Corps Sgt A.R. Hay

NEW YORK, Aug. 27, 2003 ? In the past, military recruiters have been successful at their recruiting duties in Times Square, but today, Staff Sgt. Marcos Cordero has brought this success to new heights.

Being a military recruiter at Times Square can be a dream come true or a nightmare waiting to happen. The ability to balance an abundance of tasks and still deal with each challenge is what makes Cordero stand out from the crowd.

When he was assigned to recruiting duties in New York, this Washington Heights native knew three things: it was going to be hard work, he was going to have fun and he was going get meritoriously promoted.

The busy nature of Times Square fits well with Cordero. The rush of city life at the crossroads of America keeps his everyday job from being routine.

"It's always so interesting," said Cordero. "There's always something going on. Between the sites and the atmosphere, it makes me want to get out there and do things, too."

Military recruiting in Times Square does not make Cordero exempt from dealing with the stresses of this duty. He combats the long hours and the negativity by remaining positive and optimistic. When dealing with hard times, he pulls himself out of it by remembering the good times, taking a break and focusing on his goals.

"I have too much pride to let this bring me down," said Cordero. "I'm my own worse critic, so I keep myself in check."

He credits a large amount of his success to the rapport he has with people, especially the pool of individuals planning to become Marines. He maintains constant contact with them, taking on the role of a big brother.

"People want to be a part of something real and knowing someone is looking out for them," said Cordero. "The camaraderie speaks for itself and when they tell their friends, it builds interest and they may come see me too."

"I've learned if you're nice to people and up front with them, they'll like that and respect you for it," he added. "If people are comfortable with you they'll do anything for you. So just be yourself and just talk to everyone. Everyone knows someone."

Although thousands of people walk through Times Square everyday, most of them are tourists, including a good number of them from other countries. Additionally, the office has been the rally point of choice for demonstrations, most recently with the war in Iraq. Despite demonstrations, Cordero proudly wears his uniform.

Another reality of big city life is crime. While in Lower Manhattan, Cordero was leaving a school when a bank employee grabbed him, asking for help and explaining that the bank had been robbed. Cordero chased the robber down the street, called 911, grabbed a police officer along the way and did a leg sweep on the suspect allowing the police to capture him. He was later was recognized by the New York Police Department.

He also received a letter and visit from the Commanding General of the Marine Corps Recruiting Command for his civic gallantry.

Despite all the pressures and stresses of recruiting in the public eye, Cordero excelled. He was meritoriously promoted to staff sergeant and was recognized as one of the top three recruiters during the latest winter recruiting campaign.

U.S. Marine Corps Staff Sgt. Cordero's duty as a Marine recruiter in New York City has presented him with unique opportunities. One morning he was approached to ring the NASDAQ opening bell when the person scheduled didn't arrive. U.S. Marine Corps photo by Sgt A. R. Hay

http://www.defendamerica.mil/profile...pr082903a.html

Sempers,

Roger
1961-1977
68/69
Once A Marine............Always A Marine.............

http://www.geocities.com/thedrifter001/
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2003, 06:38 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Hooaah!!!!!!

"Standin' tall and lookin' good,
He ought to be in Hollywood!"

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote