The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Branch Posts > Navy

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-16-2006, 09:45 AM
Robert J Ryan

Default Miss it

Most of you know that I was in the Army first and the Navy second. The other day I broke out my crusise book from the Kitty Hawk and was looking at my Squadron HS-8. Kind of got stupid, and was thinking how the crusie was. First leaving North Island, and ending up in the IO during the Iranian Hostage Crisis. Began to really miss my old shipmates. Remembered all the stupid stuff we did on liberty in the PI. And finally the return to North Island 9 months later. Sometimes I just miss being a Master at Arms again.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2006, 07:03 AM

Mr. Ryan -

PI - the Mr. Magoo parties and the hershey trot's the day after. Clark Air Force base was really nice. Bus ride from Clark back to Subic Bay wasn't that great.

Big Bug's!!!!!!! Lot's of them. Large snakes all the way across the street on some occasions. Barracuda in the bay taking off fingers if you left your ring on.

The sweats from the humidity and the sulfur from the volcano were all thrilling. Olongopo 40 bars on each side of the street all the gals. Cousin on a stick only ate that after I have about 12 beers.

Buying knifes from the head hunters. Ex-Mac Arthur boys - scary.

Yep those were fun days.

Yokohama, Yokuska and Hong Kong other great liberty ports. Many things to see and do. Uncle Sam gave me the world being in the Navy. Over VN Na Nang harbor bringing in supplies and Christmas tree's. The ground forces said they could smell our boat 20 miles inland (pine does carry). Was a bow gunner in port and would have sniper's shooting at the ship all night.

Yep - those were the days.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 09:10 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Yeah, loved the PI. The Men's Room door at any given bar was the door that led to the back alley! And if you didn't go armed and in at least pairs to downtown Angeles, you were asking for trouble...and you'd find it!