The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Civil War

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-31-2005, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

Distinctions
VOM Staff Contributor 
Default It's history

Fayetteville is the home of one of the oldest standing court houses in America. The building was built in 1825 and still stands proudly in the center of town but now houses the Fayette County Chamber of Commerce. The building was a working courthouse until about six years ago and as such it was the oldest working courthouse in the United States.
Now Fayetteville is in the DEEP South and Jo and I are damn yankees so when I found out a little of the history of the courthouse, it peeked my interest.
Jo and I own a store and sell alot of dolls.
One of the dolls has a story about her. She was the first free "Black Gold" to step foot on American soil after she had been sold by her own family in 1862 in Liberia and put on a boat. On February 22, 1862, Abraham Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation into law and a short time latter a boat docked in Boston, Mass. and a little eleven year old girl stepped foot on shore as a FREE AMERICAN citizen. A tin type of that little girl hangs in a museum today. That doll has a lot of meaning to me because, like a lot of you, I have been shot at trying to get American freedoms to others in other countries.
Now, about the Fayette County Courthouse; It seems that the greatest thing that it was known for in 1860 is for holding the largest slave auctions south of Atlanta and when the Yankees rushed through Fayetteville in the War Between the States a Fayette county farmer had the Federals chase him around the courthouse a couple of times until the local reb's could gather up and run the northern varments out of town. Jonesboro is eight miles to the east and the battle of Jonesboro followed a couple of days later. there are no records of any slave auctions at the courthouse after that day.

http://www.twbookmark.com/books/65/0...erpt16305.html
Sponsored Links