The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Political Debate

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-01-2023, 10:37 AM

Arrow These 112 House Republicans — and 2 Democrats — voted against expelling George Santos

These 112 House Republicans — and 2 Democrats — voted against expelling George Santos despite a damning House Ethics Committee report
By: Bryan Metzger Dec 1, 2023, 10:03 AM CST - Business Insider News
Re: https://www.businessinsider.com/whic...santos-2023-11

Reps. Matt Gaetz and Clay Higgins were among the Republicans who spoke out in defense of Santos ahead of his expulsion vote. Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images; Bill Clark/CQ-Roll Call via Getty Images

* Rep. George Santos of New York was finally expelled from Congress on Friday.
* More than two-thirds of the chamber voted to boot the scandal-plagued congressman.
* But many Republicans opposed the effort, arguing that it sets a bad precedent.

Rep. George Santos of New York was finally expelled from Congress on Friday by a 311-114 vote, with 2 lawmakers voting present.

But even as more than two-thirds of the chamber voted to kick Santos out, most House Republicans voted against the measure, arguing that the vote set a bad precedent.

"I rise not to defend George Santos, whoever he is," Rep. Matt Gaetz of Florida said on the House floor on Thursday," but to defend the very precedent that my colleagues are willing to shatter."

Rep. Clay Higgins of Louisiana, meanwhile, argued that the ethics committee's investigation "appears weaponized to me," echoing conservative claims about the justice system writ large.

Santos is now the sixth person in American history to be expelled from the House of Representatives.

The two most recent House members to be expelled — Democratic Reps. Jim Traficant of Ohio and Ozzie Myers of Pennsylvania — were both convicted of crimes before they were expelled. The three lawmakers expelled before that had fought on behalf of the Confederacy.

Santos has not yet been convicted on any of the 23 federal charges he faces, including wire fraud, money laundering, and identity theft. He is set to face trial in September.

But Republican Rep. Michael Guest of Mississippi, the chairman of the House Ethics Committee, argued during a Thursday floor speech that the process conducted by his committee in the lead-up to its damning report had provided Santos ample due process.

In the end, the entire House GOP leadership voted against expulsion, as did a slight majority of the House Republican conference.

Two Democrats — Reps. Nikema Williams of Georgia and Bobby Scott of Virginia — voted against expulsion as well, while Democratic Reps. Al Green of Texas and Jonathan Jackson of Illinois both voted present.

[Link on site: Watch: George Santos hit with 13 charges for criminal
indictment(s).
https://i.insider.com/645bfc8065275b...peg&auto=webp]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Personal note: both House's have dead wood and/or are corrupted in the
two houses. They have plenty of house cleaning to do to get anyone's
attention that they are cleaning the houses of corruption.
-
They Senate & Republican's or their system isn't what I expected way
too much BS and very little action on the People's needs.
-
I've always hated politics - there is BS on both sides and way to
many decisions made don't really help the People rather helps
their personal coffer's! Kick backs for votes for the business
folks - not so much the people's!
-
Personal note: [Even the Supreme Court Judges vote for party interest
and kick-backs for their votes. There's dirt under the carpet
on just about everything in government of late. As they pass
laws to their house's - and at times get kick backs to the
Supreme Court judges who voted passage and goes their way.]
-
Boats

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links