Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-01-2003, 04:49 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 
Smile Romania POW reunion

From a story in TULSA WORLD newspaper, by: Justin Juozapavicius
August 31, 2003 (paraphrased)

About 1200 or so americans were held as POWs in Bucharest, many or most of them Army Air Corps fliers. They all spent weeks and months in filth, illness and near-starvation in Nazi/Romanian collaborator prison camps.

Catherine Caradja, a Romanian princess, is said to have looked up the US vets after WW II, and eventually found about 850 of them. She continued looking for them until the day she died at age 100.

About 80 of these men and their wives held their annual reunion, this year in Tulsa at the Southern Hills Marriott this weekend. They lose about 10-20 men or wives each year. At the peak of attendance, about 250 participants attended.

Most are in their 80s now.

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2003, 03:17 PM

My father was a Romania POW. He flew a B17. Currently I am rereading his jounral from that time and also other letters in my possession. I am particularly interested in a Lt. Rittenhouse that is mentioned in his journal. I once heard a tape of him speaking in which he referred to some things of interest to me. Interested in learning as much as I can.
Old 10-04-2003, 03:47 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Hi Coppedge!

Welcome to Patriot Files! Stay long, laugh much, speak your piece often and openly... among friends (some of whom don't mince words either, but never mind).

Wonder of there is a way to Google that post topic I made above, maybe it'd have some help for you? Or, you could try to put a thread in the USAF and WWII forums looking for more info, that often helps a lot!