The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > World War I

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-14-2003, 07:31 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Hero, but still denied...

...At this time again, I would like to bring up an issue that needs direct veteran's intervention to RIGHT an injustice that has long been denied...

...I am asking everyone of you who reads this forum to e- mail yours, or my Congressman to bring about the INJUSTICE to...

...Henry Johnson...

...attached is the article that tells the story of a man that should receive the Congressional Medal of Honor...

...I know all of you who have been in a combat situation can relate to this man's plight, and after all these years with his son up there in age now, there are a great number of people that feel that this man DESERVES the CMH, I for one have supported this endevour for several years now also...

...knowing that his denial has causeed great pain to his family for many, many years please write to your elected officals nation, and world wide to proclaim that justice be served, having "been ther, done that", so to speak, My blood is boiling a bit at present, and all of you know the feeling...

...do some reserch on the man, and I'm sure you'll agree that the time is of the essence for his son to see the honor bestowed upon one that truly deserves it...

Albany's Henry Johnson receives the Distinguished Service Cross for World War I bravery as son says "this is the greatest day"

By ERIC ROSENBERG, Washington bureau
First published: Friday, February 14, 2003

WASHINGTON -- More than 80 years after fighting off a German raiding party in World War I, Henry Johnson on Thursday was posthumously awarded the Distinguished Service Cross -- the nation's second-highest military award -- at an emotional Pentagon ceremony.

Although the award fell short of what his survivors and a number of lawmakers have sought -- the Medal of Honor -- the event capped a decades-long effort to gain official recognition from the U.S. military for the African-American soldier's heroism.

"It's great for my father, it's great for me and my family, and it's great for Negro history," said Herman Johnson, a World War II veteran and the son of Henry Johnson of Albany.

The ceremony in the Pentagon's Hall of Heroes was attended by some 100 people.

The veteran's supporters maintain that racism in the military prevented Johnson from getting recognized and they vowed to renew their case with the Army to win him the Medal of Honor, the nation's highest citation for gallantry.

"It's sort of needless to say this, but this is the greatest day," said a teary Johnson. "I'm only happy that it happened so that I would be present."

Johnson, of Kansas City, Mo., said his father fought heroically at a time when blacks were not allowed in combat alongside American whites. Johnson's unit from New York state was under the command of the French military.

"We never thought about how we were being treated when we were fighting for our country," said Johnson, who also served in a segregated military during World War II in the legendary Tuskegee Airmen.

Lt. Gen. Roger Schultz, the director of the Army National Guard who presented the medal to Herman Johnson, called the World War I veteran a "special soldier" who was in a unit "unequaled in the annals of military history."

"We are recognizing a hero," he added.

Nathaniel James, president of the 369th Veterans Association, said Johnson's unit was one of the most decorated in the war -- nearly all honors awarded by the French -- adding "that's why today its so important to undo a wrong and make it right."

The official Army citation credits Johnson with "extraordinary heroism while engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing foreign force" in France as allied forces faced off against Germany.

As a member of New York's Army National Guard 369th Infantry Regiment for blacks, Johnson and a fellow soldier, Needham Roberts, were on sentry duty when they came under attack one night in May 1918 by a 20-man German raiding party. Both Americans were wounded.

"When the Germans were within fighting distance, Johnson opened fire, shooting one of them and seriously wounding two more," the citation says. But the Germans continued their advance, and as Johnson and Roberts were about to be captured, "Johnson drew his bolo knife from his belt and attacked the Germans in a hand-to-hand encounter."

"Even though having sustained three grenade and shotgun wounds from the start, Private Johnson went to the rescue of his fellow soldier who was being taken prisoner by the enemy," the citation says, praising Johnson for "personal courage and total disregard for his own life."

Johnson received the Croix de Guerre, one of France's highest honors, but he was never recognized by his own nation. He left the Army as a sergeant and died a destitute man in 1938.

Over the years, family members and others, including New York lawmakers, have attempted to win recognition from the Army for Johnson's deeds.

Ironically, Thursday's ceremony took place in the Hall of Heroes, the walls of which are inscribed with the names of Medal of Honor recipients, a place of esteem and honor where Johnson's supporters said his name should appear.

Johnson was close to receiving the nation's highest medal. Before he left office in 2001, Army Secretary Louis Caldera recommended that Henry Johnson receive the Medal of Honor, but he was overruled by a military decorations board and then- Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Henry Shelton of the Army.

"Our job is not done yet," said U.S. Rep. Michael McNulty of Green Island, who along with fellow Democrats U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer, Rep. Charles Rangel, and Albany County Executive Michael Breslin, said they would re-energize the push for the Medal of Honor for Johnson.

The military has begun to recognize veterans of World War I and World War II whose valor may have gone unrecognized because of prejudices of the era. For example, African-American World War I veteran Freddie Stowers was posthumously awarded a Medal of Honor in 1991. Seven African-American veterans of World War II received the awards in 1997, while 22 Asian-Americans were awarded the medals in 2000.

...he died at 32, and was shamed after such heroic action, I for one can directly relate, and ask all of you to help correct this asap before the passing of his son...

Gimpy, draw up a letter if your lookin' in...

.....thanks, Curtis

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2003, 08:13 AM

Default SJ

Your so correct. A lot of folks don't get what they deserve, some get more that they deserve and some get nothing for what they deserve. BUT, the individual, and the ones who witnessed the situation will always know, the truth, even after they are gone and no amount of revisionist history can or will change the truth!!
SF
NC
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote