The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Political Debate

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-20-2003, 12:35 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Thumbs up A Time For Recognition, Long Overdue

With world conflict an axiom of life in the fast lane, and not likely to go away any time soon, one has to seriously ponder the scant recognition being afforded to our gallant military! How quickly some, even those in power, forget the sacrifices that were selflessly given by generations of Americans in their nation?s time of need!!

Of all of the kudos awarded by our grateful nation, the ?Medal of Honor? stands out as the finest! This Medal, first presented in 1863 (Andrews Raid), was the quintessential expression of honor and courage, and as of this point in time, less than 3500 of these magnificent symbols of ultimate patriotism have been presented to America?s finest!

?As this site is dedicated to political debate, I have a question to pose!??

As of this date, some 140 years after its inception, the ?Medal of Honor? still carries a small monthly stipend along with it, in the amount of $600 (the original stipend for the MOH was but $10 a month, I believe?)! And considering the fact that less than 140 men who attained this honor are still numbered among the living, I personally feel that this amount should be (AT LEAST) doubled!

Most Americans mistakenly believe that those awarded this Medal are well off, but in reality, some exist on this meager $600 alone, as their only source of income, or so I have been informed by one of the Medal?s recipients!

At a time when countless millions, if not billions, are tossed away to foreign nations that would stab us in the back at a second?s notice, and Congress gets at least $130,000 plus, plus per year, and still bitch up a storm, does it not make sense to you that ?This Nation?s Finest? should receive at least enough to survive upon?

Granted, many with this Medal are capable of living a decent life, but there are still those in ?This Magnificent Group? who are forced to get by on the $600 a month alone, or so I am told - ?AND THIS IS A DISGRACE TO US ALL!?

?WHAT DO YOU THINK!?

If you believe as I do that - These Gallant (and aging) Warriors? should be respected and cherished, and not forced to survive on starvation income, then by all means, ?LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD!?

Call (TOLL FREE) right now, 1-800-648-3516, ask for your own Congressman or Congresswoman, and tell them where you stand!!

"These Medal of Honor Recipients belong to us all!!? They symbolize our indomitable pride, our dignity and our guts, at a time when many in the world are challenging our liberties, our freedom, our equality and genuine justice!!

VERITAS