The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-29-2007, 03:58 PM

Default Living and Dying

I found this on another Vietnam veteran site today and thought I would share it with you. The comments at the end of the poem are from one of the people on the site.

I post a lot of poems on the PF site and I see that they are read but not always responded to. I guess sometimes I need to know I am appreciated.
Raggedy Ann

Living And Dying

Take a man and put him alone,
Put him 5000 miles from home,
Empty his heart of all but blood,
Make him live in sweat and mud,
That is the life I have to live,
And why the devil my soul to give?
You please boys swing in your easy chair,
But you don't know what it's like over here,
You all have a ball without even trying,
While over here your boys are dying,
You burn your draft cards, march at dawn,
Plant your flag on parliament lawn,
You all want to ban the bomb,
There is no war in Vietnam,
Use your drugs and have your fun,
Then refuse to carry a gun,
And there is nothing else for you to do,
And I'm supposed to die for you,
I'll hate you till the day I die,
You made me hear my buddy cry,
I saw his legs in bloody shreds,
I heard the Doc say "This one is dead",
It's a large price he had to pay,
Not to live another day,
He had the guts to fight and die,
He paid the price, but what did he buy?
He bought you a life by giving his,
But who gives a damn what a serviceman gives?
His wife does, and his parents,
But they're about the only ones,
There is no war in Vietnam.

~oooOOOooo~

Written by an

Enraged man.

Note :- This poem was originally sent to me with the title "There Is No War In Vietnam", and "Author Unknown". Since then I have been able to establish the following facts. The real name of the poem is "Living and Dying" and although the actual Author still remains unknown, it was written by an enraged man, more than likely a soldier himself. I have added some further information about these words.

"The controversy over the Vietnam war, and the protesters, who were people often the same age as the young soldiers aroused great resentment among those doing the fighting and the dying. "Living and Dying" is probably one of the most remarkable poems to come out of the Vietnam war. The Author was obviously enraged at the attitudes of those at home attending protest marches, whilst his comrades are fighting and dying. He has no time for political debate, he was fighting a war. It is not a political poem, and at no time does the Author state his own views. He is merely crying for support, and a cry to his fellow man for compassion for the men dying regardless of why.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2007, 07:50 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Seems another enraged solider is going to have to write a poem saying there is no war in Iraq.

If your going to suceed your going to have to know how to deal with failure. (Joe Torre).
Old 01-30-2007, 01:51 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

Yea there were definitely two different worlds back then, Those that said bad things about our Nation, our soldiers, our president, and our people, and then there were those that died so that the others could continue talking.
It's the nature of a free society that you are going to get apposing views. and the right to have different views is had buy the blood of young men and women that are on only one side of some of the views but defend the right of all views.
If any of that made any sense.
Ron
Old 01-30-2007, 06:08 AM
Doc.2/47

I post a lot of poems on the PF site and I see that they are read but not always responded to. I guess sometimes I need to know I am appreciated.

RA-

Try not to read too much into a view without a reply. Some folks read but almost never write anything. Just not interested-for one reason or another-in putting what they think down for the world to see. Don't take lack of reply for lack of responce. I get in moods when I'm not feelin all that "talkative" myself but-computer willing-I'm here every (usually several times) day and I always read and appriciate anything you post. You are on my mental "must read" list.

Ron-

That not only made sense it come within a c. hair of bein plumb eliquent. Best watch it son, you'll have folks thinkin you ain't no real Texican.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:11 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

RA, Your appreciated......sometimes I just have no words for the poetry. Thanks so much for the energy.

Gee, this poem could have been written in Iraq or Afghanistan. When did America lose it's will to win? It sickens me.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 01-30-2007, 07:12 AM

Thanks Doc

Raggedy
Old 01-30-2007, 10:56 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

Doc feb 1947
Although I have lived in Texas more than any other state, I was born In Iowa, Grew up in Illinois, and even Anderson Indiana for awhile, I may not have been born in Texas but Texas is where I call HOME, And by the way, Thank the TN boys for that Alamo thing, If it weren't for TN there would be no Texas.
And the President of the Republic of Texas never signed no annex for Texas to become a state.
Ron