The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-02-2006, 09:01 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default speeding tickets for bicycles

While watching the TV, laying on the couch with a beer and a BBQ'd dead animal. The Guys says -------- city is issueing speeding tickets to bicycles?
Now we have some cops on PF so maybe they can explain how Motor vehicle laws apply to a non motored vehicle.Any vehicle traveling threw there area speeding gets a ticket? no matter if it has a motor or not?, I would say Bull to that, all they have to do is look up, Speeding vehicle traveling threw his area, give that plane a ticket.
Motor vehicle laws are for motored vehicles , Before they give tickets wouldn't it be a good idea for all bike manufacturers to be forced to put speedomiters on there bikes, and then theres turn signals and stop lights and licens plates and why should a certain vehicle get its own lane(bike lane) , Giving a ticket to a seeding bicycle is beyond stupid,
Maybe states are different with motor vehicle laws, In Texas Bicycle have to stay to the right as far as possible (naturally they don't) when on a roadway. I never heard of speeding on a bicycle .
Ron
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2006, 09:19 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default The average professional bicyclist

Will maintain about 27 - 32 miles per hour on the level. It certainly would take an excellent bicyclist to get a speeding ticket. My Son who was an excellent bicyclist once got his bicycle over 70 mph going down hill. It was on the stretch from Waterville to the Columbia River here in the State of Washington. It's a long steep downhill stretch. He was on a tour. He and the other semi-pros got up around 60 - 70 mph on that stretch. The speed limit there is 50 mph so I guess they could have got a ticket.
But . . . . I think it would be a rarity for a bicyclist to get a ticket in the normal city. But, in the State of Washington the law states that bicyclist must obey the motor vehicle laws. Motor Vehicle laws do appy to them also.

Keith
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:30 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Yup police officer on a bike to another biker "Pull over and get a piece of the curb ass hole". Can hear the police on bicycles going code 3 chasing a speeding bycycle rider.

If your going to suceed your going to have to know how to deal with failure. (Joe Torre).
Old 08-02-2006, 10:28 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

Kieth
The speed limit where ther guy was giving a ticket to the cyclest was 15 mph.
You said Bcycles have to follow motor vehicle laws, 'why'? If so then where are the tickets for no licens plate which pay for the roads that the bike rides on, and turn signals, break lights head lights, Kids with no drivers licens, Insurence, inspection and so on. Why noes a non-motored vehicle have to abide by motor vehicle laws , does that little red ryder wagon have to apply, how about trikes, scooters, Roller blades?
I think the bike clubs should get togeather 500 bikers and all speed in that area and all demand a jury trial. That will put an end to that stupidity.
Ron
Old 08-02-2006, 10:40 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

True story, right now......
A long time acquaintance just died due to injuries sustained a week ago in a bicycle crash. A real kamikazi on a bicycle and had been ticketed many times for speeding; 15 MPH max in our residential areas, and other dangerous cycling practices he seemed to enjoy.

Being an Attorney, he battled every citation but never learned a lesson. So evidence now has it that he wasn?t crash proof after all and blowing-off a red light was his last hurrah, a car won that contest, big time, and now we all feel bad about that.

My prospective son-in-Law does Pro level bycycle racing and went to my first ever race this past week end. Surprisingly fast for such a tight pack of riders and biffing is a very bad idea. :ek:

Scamp
Old 08-02-2006, 10:47 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

Sea
Dumb don't have an age or gender or allow for vehicle preference,
I seen a kid ridding on the road with a skate board straped to his feet (like a snow board) he was carrying a skate board, all of a sudden He was standing on his hand held board and the board that was on the ground is now high in the air. He did this back and forth several times. Looked like an accident looking for a place to happen.

Ron
Old 08-02-2006, 11:25 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Agreed, dumb knows no boundaries and has no cultural barriers. Might add that the laws of physics are the same for all and the impact force of a 180 lb person going 20 MPH on a bicycle can be quite lethal if a pedestrian or child is struck.
The person I mentioned was ticketed earlier this year for bicycle speeding in a school zone when the yellow lights were flashing, very bad citation to get around here.

Scamp
Old 08-02-2006, 01:06 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Keith is right, all laws pertaining to motor vehicles pertain to bicycles...makes sense to me.
Keith
Can I have the correct spelling of your son's name, DOB and SSN.
for the speeding ticket
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
Old 08-02-2006, 01:22 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

Ok, Bob, what makes a bicycle a bicycle? Two wheels, a chain, Why don't trikes have to abide? or quads , or uni-cicycle. I seen a bicycle built for eight sitting in a circle and all were pedaling. Thats another thing who gets the ticket on a bicycle built for two, I have driven a bicycle built for two from the back seat, Just like riding with no hands. And what about all the motor vehicle musts (lights etc) that a bike don't have and drivers licens. Saying Bicycles must conform to motor vehicle laws is just saying words without the laws being enforced on all bike riders. a 9 year old with tranning wheels should apply just as a 50 year old on a $5,000 touring bike.
Ron
Old 08-02-2006, 01:46 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Not a Cop, but I?d guess a person on a horse, buffalo, bear or big dog racing through town and busting speed limits and running stop signs could get the gum ball machine and pulled over, but I?d watch out for the buffalo, bear or big dog if I had a citation book out.

Not so sure the vehicle or propulsion type makes a lot of difference. I kind of wish some of the annoying sidewalk buzz scooters would catch some heat. Damn, those things come out of nowhere and are an accident looking for a place to happen.

Scamp