The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > World War II

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-24-2003, 06:27 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Warren Spahn dies at 82

Warren Spahn the winningest left hand pitcher of all times passed away today. He was 82.
Warren Spahn won 363 games more than any other left handed pitcher. Consider by many to be the greatest left handed pitcher of all times. He was elected to the hall of fame in his first year of elgibility in 1973. He led the NL in wins 5 times. He was a Cy Young winner as the best pitcher in baseball once. He had two no hitters. He also leads the major leagues for home runs by a pitcher with 35.

He had a short career with the Braves in 1942 but joined the Army after the 42 season. He was a combat Engineer. He received a battle field commission to 2nd LT in 1945. He was wounded in the battle for the Rhine and received the purple heart.

Over 500 major league players served in WW II. Ted Williams, Bob Feller, and Joe DiMaggio are just few of the baseball stars who served during WW II.

Keith Hixson

P.S. I wonder how many of our spoil athletes of today would have joined the military if a major war broke out?
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2003, 08:12 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Guess I'm about

He was my favorite pitcher growing up in the 50's. Looks like very few of you all remember him.

Keith
Old 11-25-2003, 08:32 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up Keith

I didn't know much about him till the news last night reported his death and your post above. Looks like he was a hell of a man and a ballplayer. Many of that generation are my heros. Thanks for helping educating my old brain
Old 11-25-2003, 08:19 PM

Never was into sports so never heard of the Warren Spahn until I saw the news report. Interesting about the others you mention who were World War II veterans. I guess I had been aware of Ted Williams but it is nice to know that they apparently had successful careers after the war.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:20 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post I'm surprised!

So few people heard of Warren Spahn. Most certainly in the top five pitchers of all time. Yet, he seemed to just fade away from the baseball scene. He was a great player and a great man. I believe he had a cattle ranch in Oklahoma after his retirement. Worked in lots of charities.
He always said he was most proud of his military service while America was at war.

Keith