The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-07-2005, 08:24 AM

Default Veterans Homecoming

A little history on how this whole thing came about....Tony Orlando came to town and wanted to salute our Vietnam veterans. Each year Branson has had an event with Tony. 10 years has evolved into Operation Homecoming USA. Here in the Ozarks we have a respect for our veterans and this will be a great event to attend since it is for you. I have read your threads and I must say you will be missing a great Party! I love reading all your thoughts.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2005, 08:33 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Pattie it's not that I don't appreciate the thought and the way Branson wants to honor us. It's just that this is what we wanted when we came home from Vietnam more than 35 to 36 years ago for some of us. I have learned from going to Vet groups how to accept what happened, and know that what we did in Vietnam was an honorable effort. Vietnam vets just wanted to be accepted like anyother veteran who served our country.

If your going to suceed your going to have to know how to deal with failure. (Joe Torre).
Old 02-07-2005, 08:39 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

I applaud what appears to be your towns motives on the surface but I think it is odd that Vietnam veterans now have to pay cash to someone to be honored.

A few questions:

The website says to register early as Branson hosts thousands of tourists each day. Is this just another way to attract tourists to the town?

What if a retired veteran on a fixed income or a veteran on disability can not afford the $100 admission price? With 100,000 expected to attend at $100 a person that adds up to 10 million dollars. This does not even include revenue from vendors, taxes, loggings, food, etc. etc. With such profit surly some exceptions must be made for low income veterans but I can find none mentioned on the website.

Does Branson intend to donate any of the massive profits being made to any veterans organizations? Again I can find no mention of this on the website.

Try not to take my above questions in the wrong way. In recent years a plethora of "veterans organizations" have sprung up all across the country with little more in mind then separating the veteran from his wallet.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:42 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert Ryan Pattie it's not that I don't appreciate the thought and the way Branson wants to honor us. It's just that this is what we wanted when we came home from Vietnam more than 35 to 36 years ago for some of us. .
Does seem sort of comical now, doesn't it? Dang!! Here I been mooching around for 35 years now, waiting for someone to welcome me home and here it is. All this and a new bicycle when I was 9--how great can a life get?.
Thanks I feel much better now, I can skip the $100 plate welcome.
Where the hell is Branson Arkansas anyway and are there any paved roads to get there?

James
Old 02-12-2005, 07:02 AM
Doc.2/47

I intend no disrespect to anyone or to the town of Branson,but I think the following accuately reflects my feelings and probably those of many of the folks on this site.

THE WELCOME HOME PARADE
Nicholas A. Andreacchio

They had a "Welcome Home" Parade today,
And I decided not to go.
But I didn't lack for company:
Our 58,000 dead also didn't show.

I saw the bands,and the cheering crowds,
And in the backgroound,the Capitol Dome,
But it's fifteen long sad,years too late,
To welcome us back home.

I find it strange to be "Welcomed Home",
Fifteen years after I returned.
But why am I so upset,
To see what for so long I yearned?

Is it the memory of my first "Welcome Home",
By two kids fresh from the dorm?
How they jeered and shouted "Baby-Killer"
And then spat on my uniform.

O,it was so easy for them back on campus,
Or in Canada,if that was their lot.
Taking over the Student Dean's office,
While the less priviledged were out getting shot.

And we mustn't forget the news media,
And their self-promotional game.
As they chronicled with glee-each night on TV,
Our dead our wounded and our National shame.

And we must forget the Vietnamese,
Who we've cast of mind like a sinner.
Only their ghosts hear the music and mirth,
Of the guilt-erasing "Welcome Home" dinner.

Now the guns have long fallen silent:
And the cries of the wounded have died
And their only memorial consists of a scar in the earth,
As if even our dead must hide.

Ah-but these are emotional memories,
In a generation that avoids all passion,
And who now can be called "Baby-Killer"
Since abortion has become all the fashion?

This generation,like God,can forgive all sins:
Treason and murder,to name but a few
So isn't it really wonderful,
They can now forgive their own soldiers too?

So we stayed at home,my ghosts and me:
We're really not good at charades.
And we drank to the fifty-eight thousand,
Who "Came Home"
before
the parades.
Old 02-12-2005, 07:03 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Pattie
Dont get us wrong.....There are some that do appreciate what Branson is doing but....... Someone is walking away with a $hitload of cash in his/her pocket.
Now if you want to see a true welcome home. Make a trip to Elijay Georgia on April 23rd. There will be people from Vietnam,
both Gulf wars and Veterans from the past, along with their
family and friends.....If you served, you are truly honored.
We dont need the Trumpets playing, Flag waving, Stars singing hoopla.....As far as Im concerned, Its too late.
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
Old 02-12-2005, 09:36 AM

Send a message via AIM to QM3steve
Distinctions
Contributor 

I was too young to know much about Vietnam, but I've begun to see through the writings of the veterans on this site. It would have been nice to know there was a "Thank you" upon your return. I agree that it is too late. There is a kind of "statute of limitations" on thing like that. It's not one that's written, it's felt!

I would like to know why we were there. That's not meant to be an offensive question. I simply do not know enough about the war to know, but for what it's worth, THANKS AGAIN!

It saddens me that people had to degrade the veterans for something they had little choice in. When you are enlisted in an armed service, you become a game piece when you are sent into war or conflict (politically correct today). People need to look at the one who put us there! Not the troops that were sent! The troops are doing what they are told! SUPPORT YOUR TROOPS!

There are ways to remove presidents. It's called a vote. If you don't vote you have no say. Not only by not casting one but complaining about the end results.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:48 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

I was not alive when ya'll came home. I simply can't understand the people who did these awful things to you on your return. I understand the effect it may of had. I saw that wih my uncle. People spit on him and he never forgot that.

I fear the media is trying it again for the current wars soldiers. We must never let it happen again. It may be to late to make the hurt from the past better but we can make sure nobody ever goes through the same thing.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:42 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Steve
The one thing that the war and the protesters and the draft dodgers did, was create the strongest bond among the men and women who served in Vietnam, and I for one, think it's really great..... so for all you chicken$hit draft dodgers and protesters during the Vietnam war (Have you noticed that you cant find one...they must all still be in Canada) I would like to say thank you (a$$holes).

Melody
You're absolutly right....We cannot let this happen to returning troops, and as far as the media goes.......Phuckem!!! Sorry I gotta say it like it is

To both of you, I would like to say Thank You....and I mean it

Bob K

God bless the ACLU
Old 02-12-2005, 06:26 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

QM3 it would be easy to say we were in Vietnam because the government said we would. I can only give you a my perspective on why we were in Vietnam. I felt that I was going there to help stop communism, and help the Vietnamese people. The first time I was shot at in the Tet offensive I guess that all went out the window, and realized I was there to help my buddies get our job done. It was no longer moms apple pie, ice cream and the good ole USA, it came to survival and who wanted to live. I think I learned that more my second tour when I was with the 4th ID. I do believe that our intent was good, but maybe being a 19 year old kid, I didn't understand what we were really doing there. To me I guess it boils down to the fact the United States showed Communism we would fight them anywhere, regardless of the results. Best thing to do is read the book the 10,000 days war, it has a complete time line from just being advisor's, taking over combat operations, the main battles, and events; to when we pulled out. It is a good book.

If your going to suceed your going to have to know how to deal with failure. (Joe Torre).