The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Korea

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-12-2002, 06:50 AM

Default Who can answer this question?

I watched a special the other night on Korea. And if my ears heard right - there are still 8000 MIA's from that war can anyone validate that?

I also heard that many have been found by Korea and that they hold the bodies as ransom to get US assistannce is that also correct? And if so, that's pretty damn sick if you ask me.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2002, 09:45 AM

Default Boats..

Here's a link to a previous post by sfc_darrel about pow/mia's that also say's over 8000 are still missing.

http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/sh...threadid=26892
Old 11-12-2002, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

There is a full list of all of these people in the downloads section under KIA, POW/MIA
Old 11-12-2002, 10:50 AM

kenmar,

Thanks for the link. I realize I should have looked into this conflict a long time ago. I can't say I didn't know about it but not much and especially how many were missing from that conflict - what a shame.

I've never seen much written or shown about the Korean conflict - every now and then you would get a little news. Watching a show the other night I became enlightened to the real issues and to all those lost soldiers.

I hope they will forgive my ignorance and allow me to thank them for all their sacrafices. 8100 missing seems a high price to pay.

You know these wars/conflicts are coming way too often. Will we ever get it through it? VN seemed to go on forever - longer I guess than any other conflict. I remember that one.

I've been watching the Civil War for the last couple weeks (I've seen it before) and that war had several days where numerous losses were suffered in just a single day of fighting today this wouldn't be tolerated by the American people.

I've got no Son's to send off to war only two daughters who are both married. But my family has served with pride a Grand-Father (WWI), Dad (WWII), Uncle WWII and a Brother (VN) and my tour (VN) is in our history. I survived by the Grace of God.

A belated "Welcome Home" to those Korean Vets and their families. Accept my gratitude for services rendered.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 11-12-2002, 11:57 AM

The first " Police Action in Korea" taken on by the USA was the first limited type combat action ever tried, I guess. The term " strategic withdrawal" got coined there since there was no retreat allowed. If you knew where the battle lines were you knew more than the commanders did .
I don't think there was a good inventory of who got KIA or who was MIA . The combat engineers were steady building roads over the mountains( thats all there is-up or down) and used lots of explosives to build the roads, thats also where lots of bodies were( Chinese,N.&S. Korean, and United Nations forces) under the snow that would be covered by dirt and rock.
The NK will do like NK, they never got the time to read the Geneva Convention and if we are looking for fair play or sympathy it will not happen with this old enemy.
Old 11-12-2002, 12:02 PM

Default Boats

Unfortunately the Korean war truly is the "Forgotten War". I was there a few years after the "Conflict" and served with a veteran of it. We became very close friends and in fact my first son, Paul, is named after him.

One of the few times we talked about his experiences he told me that what he had themost nightmares about was the Chinese screaming madly as they charged. I can't imagine what that would be like.

Paul Lynch was never bitter about the lack of recognition, just disappointed. Paul was a real mentor to me. One of the things he did was to turn me on to books. He got me to voluntarily read my first book after High School. At that time, reading was a bore to me. He finally convinced me to read the very small book by Steinbeck, "Of mice and Men", and I was hooked. I can honestly say that this one small incident had an major impact on my life. Reading that book triggered something in me that is here to this day. I can't imagine a life without books.

Sadly, I lost contact with him after I returned to the States. I've tried to get information about him on the various Korean vet sites but haven't been successful ....I'll keep trying .

To get back to the point, here's a site with some info about the battle at the Chosin Reservois.

http://www.haciendavillage.com/CHOSINFEW/
Old 12-19-2002, 08:59 AM

Default bbell, you are NOT

retreating when you have to go forward to engage the enemy and kick his butt off the mountains and the roadblocks to get your rear end out of hot water, with ALL your equipment and men (minus those who had to be buried as logistics precluded getting all out) along with stragglers from various units. And destroying 6+ divisions in the process. The weather and accurate shooting plus the spirit of some units was the difference in the above.

SF
NC
Old 12-21-2002, 12:21 PM

There was also the terrible Out Post war of '52-53. Struggles to take, hold, re-take critical terrain, cost numerous casualties,and when we came off "Boulder City", after the cease fire, I still believe we were unable to recover all our dead, many of them buried by shell fire, during a hell of a battle to hold that hill.Recently, Lee Ballenger has published two books describing this unknown period of the Forgotten War. Well worth the read.
Old 12-21-2002, 01:54 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Korean War Official Stats

4,820 MIA
33,741 Dead
23,615 KIA
7,245 POW
2847 POW deaths

389 POW's never came home
even though known to be alive