The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-01-2005, 07:01 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Shortdawg
Default Khe Sanh 1968 My Father

Copyright Morning Call Nov 20, 1992

David Floyd frequently journeys to the Vietnam War Memorial in Washington, D.C., to reflect on the war and to see the names of fellow Marines who died.
During Veterans Day ceremonies last week, the York man was kneeling at the memorial's wall of names. He touched the name of his friend, Terry J. Rampulla, an Easton High School graduate who died in Vietnam in 1968.
A woman knelt next to Floyd. He had never seen her before, but soon Floyd learned the woman's husband was in Rampulla's Easton High Class of 1966.
The encounter led Floyd yesterday to Palmer Township, where in an emotional meeting he was introduced to the father and to a friend of his fallen comrade.
The woman had been walking through the crowded memorial grounds, waiting for her husband, who was marching in a Veterans Day parade.
She noticed David Floyd at the wall and stopped. She didn't stay long.
"She walked away and left me to myself," said Floyd.
But Floyd could not let the chance meeting just come and go. He caught up with the woman, and gave her his address and phone number.
She told him Rampulla's father would be calling him soon.
Andrea Wesley then caught up with her husband, Bruce, in the parade and told him what had happened.
"I said to myself, I have to see this man to help him make the connection," said Bruce Wesley. "God planned this connection. He pointed Andrea to David to Terry and back to his father."
Floyd said he also felt the meeting was more than a coincidence. "When his wife touched my arm, no one had anything to do with that but God himself," he said.
James Rampulla of Palmer Township called Floyd the next day and left a message on Floyd's answering machine.
"I was in the house, but I didn't want to answer the phone," said Floyd. "He sounded like Terry."
But Floyd did return Rampulla's call. And yesterday he visited James Rampulla and Bruce Wesley in Palmer to talk about Vietnam and Terry.
"I just can't believe it," James Rampulla said of the visit. "It's like reading a fairy tale."
Marine Lance Corporal Terry J. Rampulla died on April 16, 1968, at Khe Sanh in Central Vietnam near the former border of North and South Vietnam.
He and Floyd, members of the Marine Corps Third division, 9th Marines, A Company guns, were involved with a sweep of the mountains around Khe Sanh to eliminate the enemy. But the enemy was better prepared than they expected.
James Rampulla believed his son died from rocket fire until yesterday when he spoke with Floyd. He buried his son without opening his casket. Floyd explained that it wasn't a rocket that killed Terry, but his death was fast.
Rampulla and Floyd, partners on a machine gun, came under heavy fire, Floyd said. Their gun broke and they had to seek shelter in a bomb crater. The enemy continued firing and Terry was hit. He was shot in the head.
"When he went down, I checked him, saw I could do nothing for him," said Floyd. "He died courageously."
Floyd said he kept firing, protecting his friend.

Only 3 Marines made it back form my Fathers unit. Before his death he was reunited with one of his fellow surviving Marines. He was a great man and I owe my life to him for getting me on the path of truth and recovery. I am a Desert Storm Vet with PTSD and other physical ailments. I would do it all again because my father taught me the value of serving your country. My father died in 1994 of leukemia, most likely from Agent Orange. I hope some of you guys get something from this story because it really shows that we can heal some of the wounds we have received.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2005, 11:13 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Dawg

Thanks for telling us a bit about your Dad. You're right to be proud of him, as he, I'm sure, was of you. We are grateful to the both of you for your service.

Stay tough, Little Bro.

AIRBORNE!
Old 01-02-2005, 03:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to Bill Farnie
Distinctions
VOM 

Great story Dawg

It is well that war is so terrible, or we should get too fond of it. General Robert E. Lee
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 06:09 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Keep movin Dawg , your Dad would be proud - me too .
Old 01-02-2005, 07:37 PM
Doc.2/47

You both have my utmost respect and appriciation.

Old 01-06-2005, 10:38 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Shortdawg, great story, thank you for your service during deseret storm. The beast is still alive and well in this war too.

If your going to suceed your going to have to know how to deal with failure. (Joe Torre).