The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Veterans > Veterans Benefits

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-28-2004, 06:21 AM

Default Am I too old for GI School Benefits?

Let's say I wanted to use my GI school benefits does it have a cut off point. I'm 58 but I'd like to get my degree completed is there a way to get Sam to fund it when I'm 58 now?

Also I used my GI Loan once for my house can you use it again? What is the limit?

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2004, 06:39 AM

You can use your GI home loan any number of times as long as the previous one is paid off. Actually it is just a guarentee of the home loan and not the actual loan it self.

I had 10 years to use up my GI school bennies after gettin out. I'm long past being eligible anymore.
Old 05-28-2004, 06:49 AM

GI Loand is OK then its just that I didn't use my educational credits so I would guess I'm no longer eligible either. Oh well out pocket seems to be the name of the game.

Thanks

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 05-28-2004, 06:57 AM

Check into Grants. They don't need to be repaid. I took a couple night school courses with something called an Alice(sp?) Grant. The onlt requirement for that was that you had to be out of school for at least 7 years. There may be many more Grants available that I'm unaware of. I would check with a local University or Community College.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:23 AM

OK I'll look into it - thanks

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 05-28-2004, 07:50 AM

Boats,
I noticed you live in Il. If you lived in illinois before you joined the military then it should be free for you to go to a state school. (a buddy of mine just seperated and now goes to chicago state free of charge) If not there are a lot of scholorships for war veterans if you look my dad went back to school a few years ago and i know he had a bunch of free money for it.
Old 05-28-2004, 10:55 AM

Thanks again I'll check into it.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 05-29-2004, 09:19 AM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Boats...I have been out of the service for 8 years now, am starting school this fall under Vocational Rehab through the VA, if you have a disablility rating, check with your county VSO, maybe you could double dip and get all your school payed for.

Trav

P.S. PM Billr, maybe he could help.

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 05-30-2004, 07:11 PM

Default Time Limit

Like Drywall said - you have 10 years from the date of release from active duty to use your GI Bill Education benefits. Its the old "Use it or Lose" rule.

Catman has a good point on Vocational Rehabilitation. However, generally you have 12 years from when VA awards a service connected disability rating that qualifies you to apply for Voc Rehab. (0% doesn't qualify, it used to require only a 10% rating but now requires a 20% rating). Also, the purpose of Voc Rehab is to re-train you to get you back into the job market. So if you are already employed it is hard to get accepted for the program.

One clarification on the Home Loan Guaranty. You can use it as many times as you want, as long as you no longer have an interest in the home previously covered by the guaranty. Simply paying it off doesn't entitle you to another loan guaranty, you have to sell it or otherwise divest yourself of any interest in the home.