The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > International > Terrorism

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-26-2002, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default How Best To Prepare? (If upcoming ugly gets REALLY ugly)

fnaWife2AFVV

Registered to :Sep 26, 2001
Posted 06-10-2001 at 03:36
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The last 'potential disaster' I had to prepare for was 'overflow' affects from a hurricane. It never came to pass, being the Desert and all, but it had been predicted a good chance that it would.

I'm laying in sealed water, canned and packaged food that doesn't need heating, flashlight supplies, propane cannisters for the lantern & camp stove that use it in that form, and in liquid form for the lantern that uses that. I've got lots of duct tape to seal up a bathroom, an array of OTC and first-aid type supplies. A pair of binocs to see beyond the neighborhood roofs. This kind of stuff. Batteries......and I need to get a decent expanded-band radio.

Not wanting to rely on six shots at a time, I've upgraded that, and am laying in ammo for both items.

What else....now what....will it even matter, if the time comes that it needs to? I'll go down hating myself if I didn't bother and it turns out that having done so would have made a difference. ... but still....what else to do?
m

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Profile www Qoute
KOOL

Registered to :Sep 27, 2001
Posted 06-10-2001 at 11:27
I'm not doing anything because I'm not that pessimistic.
-----------------
ANCHOR CLANKER

Profile Qoute
David

Registered to :Aug 21, 2001
Posted 06-10-2001 at 12:56
You should always be prepared for the worst case scenario. I have some supplies and routes of departure in case my fair city takes an NBC hit. I live across the street from NTC and about 3 block from a sub base so being pessimistic has nothing to do with it. It is only realistic to realize we are overdue historically for a major event. These things have always run in cycles throughout written history. Nothing now indicates I am right except past history and history teaches us to not be prepared is to play the part of the victim. If the day comes and it's time to head to higher ground I will feel sorry for those unprepared but there is going to be no way to help them and in fact if they cross my path basic math makes them a liability to be dealt with accordingly. FnaWife2AFVV one thing to think about is what type of supplies the enemy and armies in general will use and aim to gather equipment that is compatible. A diesel vehicle is a good start, so is an AK-47 (probably used by more armies then all other weapons combined) and a M16. I forget the company name offhand but there is also a nice .22 rifle in production that breaks down and fits in its own stock, it is waterproof and floats. This weapon type is excellent for hunting game in the field as it is lightweight (so are the rounds) and has little recoil making it easier to use. You can never stock an infinite supply so one day you will have to come down and gather more and whatever is laying around (if you have planned correctly this will be mostly compatible equipment) is going to be the easiest to acquire. A few other valuable items would be a set of survival books (basic plant identification, first aid, shelter building, ect ect), wet/dry fire starting kit, water purification tablets and a protective mask and suit (a good set of raingear will suffice as a chemical suit in a pinch).

Don't forget to make sure that radio is crank and solar powered as batteries are easily degraded and won't last long. Also a simple set of NVG (night vision goggles) would be far better to use then a flashlight as light discipline can mean the difference between life and death in the field. Another good vehicle item to not forget is a canvas or similar material to cover windows and mirrors at night. A match strike can be seen for many miles with NVG and so can a reflection from a windshield or sideview mirror. One last note, a gps receiver to accompany your maps and compass will expedite your travel greatly until your battery supply is exhausted or the satellites are taken out. These are just a few notes on preparedness and not complete by any means. This discussion could and should get a lot deeper for those that do not have such basic skills, knowledge or equipment. This may all sound like doom and gloom and maybe it is, but I have seen the face of combat and for me it is unthinkable not to prepare for it.

Profile www Qoute
fnaWife2AFVV

Posted 06-10-2001 at 17:29
David, thanks for your input....I should have been more detailed as far as my immediate environment, and limitations. I live in the desert southwest, in a large valley surrounded by encircling mountain ranges, in the suburban outskirts to like the 7th or 12th largest US city. Within 1/4 mile to the east is an Indian Reservation; the nearest lake is many miles (and thus many hours in disaster roadway traffic)away. We have no heavily flowing river near, however, if the riverbeds were to be grossly overburdened, there would be a distinct risk of heavy flooding. In the event Hoover Dam were to be significantly impugned, we would have maybe 20 mins. (aging parents' estimate)left of living - because of that dam and those beneath it and the cummulative affect and momentum. My sole vehicle is a 4-cyl 2-door hatchback, regular fuel. In order to lay in sufficient 'head for the mountains' supplies & equipment, I'd have to come up with a good $1,000.

Quote:

A diesel vehicle is a good start,

Oh boy. I don't see how I can do that - no way do I have funds to go buy any vehicle.
Quote:

so is an AK-47 ... a M16....there is also a nice .22 rifle in production... is waterproof and floats.

I have no combat firearms or rifle experience really, save for having fired an Uzi some 20+ years ago. Not being comfortable relying on just my .38 2" Colt, I got a Glock26 yesterday w/extra (makes 3 total) clip, and so far have gotten about 200 rounds of hollow for it, along w/another 150 or so of cheapy practice jacketeds; got additional hollows for the .38 just in case. My parents have a sawed off 12ga, and two .22 rifles (one was hers as a child) and I need yet to get ammo for all three of theirs.

I didn't even think a regular person could actually still buy AKs and such...?

Quote:

A few other valuable items would be a set of survival books (basic plant identification, first aid, shelter building, ect ect), wet/dry fire starting kit, water purification tablets and a protective mask and suit (a good set of raingear will suffice as a chemical suit in a pinch).

Should be able to get a book at Bookstar, but I was thinking we'd more likely be holded up in the house vs. actively fleeing the city...hum... I think the first aid stuff both on hand and newly purchased yesterday is prolly ok. Haven't located the tablets in stock yet - do you know how they compare to the old 'two drops of bleach' advice? Walgreens was out of the decent medical face masks, so that's still on the list - prolly have to hit a medical supply pharmacy. Thanks for the raingear idea! I will add that to my list to get.
Quote:

Don't forget to make sure that radio is crank and solar powered as batteries are easily degraded and won't last long. Also a simple set of NVG (night vision goggles) would be far better to use then a flashlight as light discipline can mean the difference between life and death in the field.

Since I'm trying to conserve emergency cash in the event our regular banking access and credit card systems aren't available, I only got a small, basic 4X32 I think binocs. I'm afraid I haven't a clue how we'd even begin to survive 'in the field'
Quote:

Another good vehicle item to not forget is a canvas or similar material to cover windows and mirrors at night.... a gps receiver to accompany your maps and compass will expedite your travel greatly until your battery supply is exhausted or the satellites are taken out.

Canvas I have on hand, plus enough blankets to deal w/all the windows if need be, I think. Compass, maps - added that to the list. No clue what the cost of a gps receiver might be.....

I'm afaid I know a heck of a lot more about cardiology and neurology (due to parents' illnesses) than I know about "survival techniques". As I tried to assess various likelihoods, it seemed that having to 'bury in' would be more likely than having to strike out into the desert. So that's the angle I've been looking at supplies & such from - more likely that we'll need to protect ourselves from (a) contaminated air, water, food, or lack of retail supplies and access to medical care; (b) intra-neighborhood/city threats if humans turn completely against humans for survival. I've even thought of wierd things like assuring there's several gal ziplock bags for the bathroom (w/become the sealed room) in the event sewage disposal is unavailable.

Thanks for the info and additional suggestions! I hadn't realized how close you were logistically to Ground Zero ... I don't know how you stand it.
m

Profile www Qoute
arrow

Registered to :Aug 21, 2001
Posted 07-10-2001 at 11:18
I got to take this all in...I know one thing I'm not to happy about what ((((M)))) is going through out there. David it was good of you to take the time to give her an answer...

arrow>>>>>>

-----------------
The LT said: "Keep Movin"

Profile Qoute
fnaWife2AFVV

Posted 07-10-2001 at 16:03
HERE WE GOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May every positive force in the Universe keep our Servicepeople safe!!!!!!!!
m

Profile www Qoute
KOOL

Registered to :Sep 27, 2001
Posted 08-10-2001 at 14:02
Check out this site: Page Title CDC
-----------------
ANCHOR CLANKER

Profile Qoute
fnaWife2AFVV

Posted 08-10-2001 at 16:08
More specifically:
http://www.bt.cdc.gov/Agent/Agentlist.asp

(Guess who read what's on the end of each and every link thereon?) Arrow thinks I should post my 'recap' re: Anthrax. Any takers?

I've got prolly 70 pages sitting in Word comprised of info from ALL the links there on ALL the bugs & chem agents they provide info for. If I find any 'spare time' I'll be spending a good amount of it doing word processing...
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links