The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-26-2003, 11:11 AM

Distinctions
VOM 
Cool "An Open Letter to America"

For the American People,

I would like to take a moment to comment on the recent anti-war protesting which has consumed this nation. For those of you who know me, I don't often speak unless it is of great importance to the Veteran Community and our deploying troops.

Over the past few months I have watched several groups protest the impending war with Iraq. I fully support our constructional rights of free speech. I respect others opinions and their need to express these opinions.

There are several points, which I would like to address. I have seen several statements, which express great concern for the Iraq people. I too have a great concern for the Iraq people. My concern did not however just evolve. My concern for the people of Iraq has always been that they live in constant fear of their leader. They are starved of freedom, food and the ability to prosper by their leader. These concerns have been evident since the Gulf War in 1991 when the world was shown just how evil Saddam Hussein really was. Prior to the Gulf War, the people of Iraq were starving and destitute. This situation has been blamed on the UN sanctions. The people of Iraq were starving long before the sanctions. Saddam Hussein has had ample opportunity to get relief for his people. He has chosen not to.

So many have said that the United States did not finish the job with the first Gulf War. The mission of the Gulf War was to liberate Kuwait, not to invade Iraq. The United States and the Coalition did not have UN approval to liberate Iraq. The Coalition did complete their mission. The United States has sought the approval of the UN to liberate Iraq. The United States has determined that Saddam Hussein is a threat to the world. Iraq has violated the regulations, which the UN has imposed after the Gulf War. The violations are clear.

I have spent the past 9 years trying to help our Veterans overcome illnesses, which were caused by the Gulf War of 1991. I have attempted to educate the general population on what Gulf War Illness is and get the claims of our Veterans realized. Our Gulf Vets have had many physical conditions, which they have had to deal with, and many have not survived the battle, including my husband who died 2 years after his return from the Gulf. Our Gulf Veterans went into a war with the people of their country standing behind them, supporting them. When they returned they were praised for their heroism and their triumph. When they got sick they were told that it was all in their heads and many families and friends walked away. They believed what the VA told them. They believed that their returning hero's were crazy.

Where were all of the American people when these Veterans needed them? Where are they now? Where is the concern for our troops going back over now? Where has the concern for the people of Iraq been for the past 12 years when the world was shown what Saddam Hussein does to his people in 1991? Why now all of the outpouring? Do you honestly believe that the lack of concern for our troops going in now does not effect their performance on the battlefield? Do you honestly believe that their mental condition going in will not affect the number of casualties? Will you be able to look at yourself in the mirror knowing that your lack of support may have cost a life? Shame on the American people for turning their back on the hero's of the Gulf War and the troops going back now. Least we forget what we did to our Vietnam Veterans. Have we learned nothing? It makes me want to vomit when I see our youth going to fight a war which they don't want to and have the American people not stand up and salute their bravery.

We all have the right to protest the war, and express our opinion. In doing so, are we destroying the moral of our Troops? I am putting out a call to our Veteran Community. While you are out there protesting the war, think about what kind of message you are sending to your brothers and sisters headed into combat. You are the people who can make the difference. Stand up with pride Veterans and support those who serve. Protest the war, but choose your words carefully and remember that your words can make the difference between life and death on that battlefield.

Sincerely,
Diane Gates-Dulka, President
Gulf War Veterans of New England- CT Chapter
dianedulka@aol.com

Sempers,

Roger

United We Stand
God Bless America

Remember our POW/MIA's
I'll never forget!

1961-1977
68/69
Once A Marine............Always A Marine.............

http://www.geocities.com/thedrifter001/
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2003, 12:12 PM

Roger, I do respect and honor very trooper who puts their boots on and goes to war, but until the lead starts flying I will bew against this war but when the shotting starts I will stand with them because I still remember how it felt to have the protesters in the streets. the way I see it this is going to be Bush's war just hope he's up to it.
razz
Old 02-27-2003, 05:43 AM

Roger,

I stand united with our Brother's no matter the issue. It's habit and a hard one to change. We stand together regardless of the pitfalls that may or may not come about.

Unless we can maintain this attitude we have little to show for our short-comings.

We have 25 million Vets who I'm sure would watch this countries back should homeland defense be needed. We may be somewhat slower and need shotguns over the high powered stuff cause the eye's have failed a bit but we are here and will be until we are buried.

Our Troops know this. We are the last line of defense in this country. We are the ones who tell the stories and wave the flags. We are the backbone of this nation.

If our country needed us we would all go. To hell with age we have the experience and the training - that never goes away.
We can and will protect our shores from any invader's or those who would harm our citizens (even those who are to weak to stand for themselves).

Once you've been there - done that - you never forget and you never forget those who sacraficed their lives for those ideals.
Let's not let the few take away our ideals for there are many who can step in and hold the line.

God Bless and Remember our MIA/POW's - Fly the Flag at all times.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 02-27-2003, 07:30 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Mixed feelings

I am not going to be a war protester but I Don't see the reason or the need for this war. If it starts I will back GWB and USA with all my might and will give it my full support. But I just have not been convinced of the need for war yet. I don't buy this liberate the poor oppressed Iraqi people from an evil dictator crap. If that were US policy we would be in a conflict in Europe, Asia, Africa and South America. If we need to destroy some stockpiles of Chem/Bio agents or a manufacturing capability then we could certainly do that without a war. Sorry folks but 2+2 just isn't adding up to 4 in my book on this.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:54 AM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Pho...I feel the that this war is being wage for many reasons. Chem/bio, terrorist activities, human rights and yes even oil. I also feel that on every issue, Bush knows but can not or will not provide the proof even though there is no doubt guilt on Hussein's part.

Having been a member of GWI, I too have many mixed feelings on this war. I do feel about 75% sure that it is necessary as this was a common complaint at the end of hostilities in 91, "We are going to have to fight him again, why not finish it now?".

America has gone way too far to the politically correct ways of the world. Very simply it was not our mission to eliminate Hussein in 91. We had the mission of liberating Kuwait and destroy Iraq's war making capabilities. We did that, and have continued to do that in the last twelve years. You think the no-fly zones were created to protect the Kurds and Shiites? I believe they were imposed to keep his military in check and to keep a continued presence there. Nobody, i do mean nobody would keep painting aircraft with radar if after you did it a few times and got your radar and men blown to hell would keep doing it for twelve years. We can only believe what the pentagon tells the papers but I find it real hard to believe he even had that many radar sites. 624 sites in such a small area?

If we could only know what the "Officials" in this government knew, we too could proclaim oppression.

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 02-27-2003, 09:03 AM

Hey Roger,

I sent a letter to Diane thanking her for comments, her support and for calling on all veterans to particapte in issues that affect us all.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 02-27-2003, 10:13 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default the coming war...

I don't know about the rest of you, but I will be glad when this is all over. I feel that once it is, the rationale for it will become clear. I suspect there is a lot that will come out afterwards, that they cannot or will not reveal now. I just hope for the best.

Larry
Old 02-27-2003, 02:35 PM

I agree with you Larry. I, too believe that there must be alot of information that can't be released yet. I can't say that I'll be glad when it's over - cause my son could be right in the middle of it. But this waiting is certainly gut wrenching. God Bless our Military and God Bless the Vets.