Old 10-08-2002, 05:56 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Just a closer walk

Just a closer walk with thee
My sweet Jesus, hear my plea
daily walking close to thee
Let it be, dear lord, let it be

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it. If anyone can tell me how it differs from th last time I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, please step over to the nearest flagpole with your state flag and micturate up it. That's UP it! Your cooperation in this will be fully appreciated.
Some of you wrote me recently and said you missed me coming by and talking war stories. Thats why I came back and talked war stories.
Now you see why I don't so much anymore. I never claim to have been brave, I only claim to have been there, doing a lrrps job--its what they paid me to do and why they issued me all that lethal hardware including the cutlery and taught me how to use it. They were VERY clear what they expected me to do with this stuff, the uncertainty was all on my humble part. A mighty, MIGHTY thankless job, too, paid the same as an Airborne cooks assistant or an artilleryman--next time get Jena Bush to go for me.
This is all I'll have to say on this, probably

James
Old 10-08-2002, 08:39 AM

Default Arty Sgt

My Dad was a FO attached to a combat patrol in Rimling France when they threw a SS Panzer Division at them. This was Operation North Wind the southern part of the battle of the Bulge.He fought as an grunt for 10 days with these GIs until they were driven out of the barn they had been defending by King Tiger tanks. He's still pissed he didn't get a CIB, but look at it in this light- the grunt is the tip of the spear stuck with the worst job ,the least access to most things taken for granted and living out of what he carries on his aching back. That hunk of metal to me is what I am most proud of having Earned because it shows the world that I could do the toughest job in the world and that I did alongside the finest men I have ever had the honor of knowing. :cl:
Old 10-09-2002, 03:24 PM

Default XGRUNT

I believe the regulations were changed since WW 2, in Vietnam an Arty F.O.s MOS entitled them to the C.I.B. the same as a Grunt. I would not have liked to have had to face off a tank in Vietnam, no A.T. rounds. As a matter of fact the Atry F.O. radio man were also entitled to a C.I.B. after an action or so many days in the bush. We had gun crewmen put on the perimeter to replace wounded and K.I.A. Grunts who were deemed ineligible for the C.I.B. after the action. Best complement I got in Vietnam was from a grunt who said, " you guys do good work ".
Take care.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote