The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Military News > International

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-12-2021, 10:54 AM

Cool Julian Assange wins right to marry in prison while fighting extradition to US

Julian Assange wins right to marry in prison while fighting extradition to US
By: Lee Brown - NY Post - 11-12-21
Re: https://nypost.com/2021/11/12/julian...rry-in-prison/

Titled: With these shackles I thee wed.

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange has been granted permission to marry his former lawyer in his high-security British prison, according to UK officials and his fiancée.

Assange, 50, had launched legal action to demand the right to marry in London’s Belmarsh Prison, where he has been in custody since 2019 as he fights US attempts to extradite him on espionage charges.

He was granted permission Thursday to wed Stella Moris, a former member of his legal team with whom he secretly had two children during his seven years hiding in the Ecuadorian Embassy in London.

“Good news: UK government has backed down 24h before the deadline,” Moris wrote on Twitter alongside an undated photo of them together underneath a rainbow in London.

“Julian and I now have permission to marry in Belmarsh prison. I am relieved but still angry that legal action was necessary to put a stop to the illegal interference with our basic right to marry,” she wrote.

“I am relieved that reason prevailed, and I hope there will be no further interference with our marriage,” Moris also said in a statement.

No date has been set for the wedding as Assange continues to fight extradition to the US, where he faces up to 175 years in prison.

The couple made their relationship public in April 2020, revealing that their sons, Gabriel, 4, and Max, 2, were conceived during the lawyer’s visits to Assange during his seven years in the Ecuadorian embassy, where he was avoiding extradition to Sweden on unrelated sex offenses that have since been dropped.

WikiLeaks said in a statement late Thursday that the couple had launched legal action after they “were essentially being blocked from being able to marry.”

The UK prison service confirmed Thursday that permission had been granted, denying that the couple were treated especially harshly.

“Mr. Assange’s application was received, considered and processed in the usual way by the prison governor, as for any other prisoner,” the Prison Service said.

Assange, an Australian national, was initially arrested in Britain in 2019 for jumping bail after he was kicked out of Ecuador’s embassy.

The US government has indicted him on 18 charges relating to WikiLeaks’ 2010 release of 500,000 secret files detailing aspects of military campaigns in Afghanistan and Iraq.

However, UK district court judge Vanessa Baraitser ruled in January that it would be “oppressive” to extradite Assange because of his serious risk of suicide and mental health deterioration.

The US is appealing the decision, with the High Court set to rule within weeks on whether to send the case back to a lower court for fresh consideration.

Whoever loses can also ask for permission for a further, final appeal to the UK’s Supreme Court.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Personal note: No comment (but I could but I won't.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links