The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Political Debate

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-30-2004, 10:35 AM
Robert J Ryan

Default Jobs for Iraq

Just read an article on my home page that Secratary of State Coling Powell told Iraqis that the U.S. will help create jobs for them. Gee I guess that people in the U.S. who need jobs are just gonna have to wait huh? :cd:
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2004, 08:35 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Kinda

makes you sick as hell, huh? :cd: :cd: :cd: :cd:

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 08:54 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I read an article where it said U. S. Army Brigade commanders are given $ 50,000 - $ 100,000 USD ( green backs .. not IRAQI scrip )
PER MONTH, to hand out to IRAQIs in any manner they desire. I will try to find it. I am sure there is little or no accounting for this. We need to get the hell out of that shit-hole now.

Larry
Old 07-30-2004, 09:42 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

WAR: US Pays Iraqis Who Refuse to Fight Coalition Troops

In order to convince unemployed Iraqi's to not take up arms against US troops, the US troops are passing out money with few if any restrictions. The justification for doing this is the claim that opposition forces are paying Iraqi civilians to attack US troops with bonus money being provided for kills.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

www.washingtonpost.com

Cash has become the U.S. military's first line of defense in some parts of Iraq, where U.S. soldiers are distributing money to encourage goodwill and to counter their enemies' offers of money to unemployed Iraqis willing to attack Americans, according to officers here.

Even patrol leaders now carry envelopes of cash to spend in their areas. The money comes from brigade commanders, who get as much as $50,000 to $100,000 a month to distribute for local rehabilitation and emergency welfare projects through the Commanders Emergency Response Program.

For more than a year, the Commanders Emergency Response Program was funded with $105 million taken from Iraqi reconstruction funds. But the Defense Department has agreed to begin paying for the program and has requested $300 million as part of its fiscal 2005 budget request to Congress.

quote: Boston.com

Only $366 million of the $18.4 billion US aid package had been spent as of June 22, the White House budget office told Congress in a report that offers the first detailed accounting of the massive reconstruction package.

Thus far, according to the report, nothing from the package has been spent on construction, health care, sanitation, and water projects. More money has been spent on administration than all projects related to education, human rights, democracy, and governance.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:43 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

We have no way of controlling how the money is spent, for all we know they could be buying weapons to attack our troops. We have no way of verifying that they don't take the money while continuing to attack US troops.

Larry
Old 07-31-2004, 09:26 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Like I said

before. Kinda makes you sick to your stomach, huh?

Another screwed up "policy" from a "screwed up" Bush administration!

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 04:06 PM
Robert J Ryan

We've got money to give away to the IRaqi's while some people here at home have bearly enough to get by. I see no logic in this. Maybe I'm off base on this one. Shouldn't some of the money go to the VA Healt Care Program. or for people who are hungary right here in America. Sorry to sound off like this.
Old 08-01-2004, 02:38 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Before we all stampede to the head with Mr. Gimpy?s morning sickness and blow grits, I think it should be pointed out that in context, Sec. Powell was referring to the ongoing reconstruction effort and the already approved Congressional funding for this effort, nothing new at all. So if this has been edited by someone (s) to have a different meaning then we can presume that there has been some editorial tampering/hate propaganda levering going on.

As to the job situation in California, well, the population is increasing but the tax base for funding the social programs for the iscrease is dropping like a rock. Companies and jobs are leaving California at an alarming rate and hopefully the Guv. can reverse this but I?m not optimistic that this is going to happen. The goose that laid all the golden eggs for so many years is moving to other states or countries and I?m not sure how Arne can reverse that without totally and completely restructuring the cost of doing business in Ca.
Sad but true, many, many name companies now have policies that restrict or disallow further business cost expansion in Ca. That translates to no new hiring and business expansion will be sent elswhere or oprations will be suspended. Germany has the exact problem where a shrinking base of tax payers cant pay for the existing socal programs.

Scamp