The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-11-2006, 05:46 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Compass

We had 3 compass's in our platoon, I carried one, LT carried one and who ever was on point got the 3rd one. LT would give a direction to point man (if there were no land marks , Like a hill) It was then up to the pointman to head in that direction.

Ron
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2006, 05:43 PM

Interresting info! I did not know this. Thought that there were more per platoon, than 3. (That at least each squadleader had 1 "personal" such issued to him, besides platoon leader and NCO, plus RTO). I wonder how it is with this "today", though of course there are "Casio-watches" with compassfunctions today, which can be bought by any soldier, for not all that much money. Or the small ones they can put on the wristband of their watches also....

Thing is, I am gathering some thngs for a so called "carepackage", and am wondering if adding a "sighting-compass" would be a good idea, or if it would be "pointless" so to say, to add a such to the "carepackage".... The difference in the sighting-compass I may add, is that it is of the version of having the inside of its "lid", being a mirror. By this, the compass may of course also be used in other "dual ways", other than just by its main purpose, as taking out a direction. To tie it to a stick for example, and check around a corner in urban location, instead of sticking out ones head around the actual corner. Or just as simple as to just use the mirror when shaving, while being "out in the terrain"... "Multiple purposes" so to say, by the version that has a mirror...

Take Good Care!

Sincerely
A.B
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 04:03 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Lost my compass last year

Well not me but a "friend" I let borrow it. Have carried that compass since Viet Nam. My Compass was my life line. I let one of my friends borrow it last year when Elk hunting and he lost it.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:03 AM

Got one just like it. I now use it for siting my direct TV - also not have a health respect heights - years ago I'd work the high rises now two feet on the ground suits me quite well.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 09-15-2006, 02:06 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

AB
If you want to send a Care package to some troops I would Assume you have an address, SO I would also say, send a letter and ask them what they would like in a care package. Although a compass is good, I would think that they are not real good in a place that has no trees or hills.
I have never been in a desert climet in the Army so I have no idea, But those that are there will have no problem in telling you what they would like to have.

PHO
Thats the problem with friends, eiither they are your friends and they barrow and loose stuff or they are not your friend and you don't loan your stuff to them.
Its just stuff, friends are important.

Boats
IIts amazing the older one gets the wizer one gets. or maybe its just a realization that somehow we are NOT invisable and what a shock that must be.

Ron
Old 09-15-2006, 06:14 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs down Washed My Compass

The compass I used on the Mt Adams climb, I washed accidently.

Ruined it! Had to buy a new one.

Bad day for compasses.

Keith
Old 09-15-2006, 07:19 PM

39mto39g!

Have the APO for "Cacti Blue", which recently arrived to Iraq. It is their 2nd deployement. (1st deployement was to Afghanistan).

T G C!

Sincerely
A.B
Old 09-18-2006, 02:12 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

AB
2/35 Going to Iraq.
What unit of the 4th was not allowed to come into Iraq from Turkey when this thing started 3 years ago. They had to go around and ended up in Kuate sitting on there hands for two weeks?

Ron
Old 09-25-2006, 08:29 PM

39mto39g

I am affraid I do not know the answer to your question, regarding which subordinate unit of the 4th ID it was. If I manage to find out, I will post about this though.

T G C!

Sincerely
A.B
Old 12-09-2006, 11:23 AM

39mto39g!

Found the following, regarding unit which was entering Iraq via Kuweit instead of going via Turkey:

A/1/8th Inf Rgt chapter of the 4th ID -photopage from April 2003:
http://a-1-8.org/Docs/activeunit/4idplane.html

Sorry it took me so long to find the above info. Have so much "going on" by the computer still, "it ain't even funny"...

On another note, in 9 days from now, I am flying over to CA, to meet my best friend. He is a "Cacti Green". Going to celebrate Christmas and New Year together. Going to be Great! Has been 3,5 years now, since we last saw eachother...

T G C!

Sincerely
A.B