The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-08-2002, 07:09 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default xgrunt

xgrunt, frank, has asked me to tell everyone he is off line for a few days after his computer took a direct hit from a 122mm lighting bolt.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2002, 10:43 AM

DMZ-LT,

Tell Xgrunt I know the feeling we got hit here about two months ago took out everything. But our's got fried from the phone line not the main power line - Strange.

I took my lap top home so I had the only working unit. Now if I just get wind of a storm coming I unplug both the main power and the phone line to prevent any loss of data.

They were suppose to put some protection in the system both the main and phone lines I think its something to look into as I hear its not uncommon to loose a system through the phone lines.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 10-08-2002, 11:01 AM

Thumbs up Back in the Saddle Again

Got back up this am and while the modem was being replaced I had a CD-Rewriter installed so I could make my own Music CDs. There was one item I am going to buy from my repairman next month. It's a basic surge protector for plugs but also has a surger protector for your phone line to the computer. Line runs from the jack to the unit and then another line from the unit to the back of your motherboard. It's about thirty bucks but it come with a 2 year garantee that if you lose anything from surges they'll replace it Free. John-talked to Sparrow today she told me to tell you that she was reading your note when her moniter went south. So she's incommunicado for a couple days. :cl:
Old 10-08-2002, 11:58 AM

I also have one of those surge protectors that supposedly takes care of the power and phone lines. I trust it marginally. The guarantee is fine, but it doesn't replace your files if excrement occurs.

If your files exceed the capacity of a floppy, I recommend that you use that CD-RW to back up your files on a regular basis. If you do sumptin' good on the 'puter, and if you don't want to lose it, back it up. I always have another copy in the safety deposit box; I change it out about once a month to keep things current. (No sense losing everything due to a virus, or a fire or some other disaster.) I have about 12 GIG of files, so I have to use the CD-RW. Backing up all that data takes only about 20 minutes, and I think it's well worth the effort. At a former job, I lost everything twice; get me once - shame on you, get me twice - shame on me. Those were the legal and insurance records for over 2000 product liability claims. It was not fun to re-enter all that data. I now am religious about backing things up.

When we go out of town, I always unplug everything. I also unplug everything when I'm home or just out and about and thunderstorms are in the area.

The power for my machine - but not the phone - goes through another protector that trips out when there's a DROP in the voltage. I've had it shut down when the newer one stayed on line. Hmmmm..... :re: