The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-23-2003, 03:07 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up Psyco Vets, Bay Area Chapter [abn]

Well, we invaded Cu Chi and it's tunnels today. First we had to to sit through a 15min Communist Propoganda film. Kinda pissed me off, but it's their country now, so I guess they can say whatever they want. Andy, according to them, you guys were quite the assholes there .

Pretty amazing place. You have to admire them just from the engineering aspect of it. Quite a feat. It's a very tourist-friendly place, in that people of all ages and physical capabilities can get around quite easily.

James and I added to the Communist coffers by paying a buck a round to fire off a 30 round clip through an AK47. All four of us took a half dozen shot's or so. I dropped 3 of the 4 targets, so they gave me a free baseball cap. Got to crawl [literally] through one of the tunnels. Kath passed. I should have. Not a user friendly place for a 6 footer. You couldn't of gotten me down one of those things back in the day if you'd held a gun to my head. Well, guys gonna go. Will post more as the opportunities arise.

Sid: got some good Psyco Vet pictures for ya' so far, and more to come as we progress.

AIRBORNE!!

Tom
Old 04-23-2003, 05:01 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Spent a good deal of time....

above these tunnels...We had no idea at the time of the size and extent of them...I understand they have made them considerably larger for tourists...We had ex-VC / NVA ( Kit Carson Scouts ) who were our "tunnel rats"...and they were not too thrilled about going into them either. We usually just blew them up as best we could....What did the ball cap from the Commies say on it ? The book "The Tunnels of Cu-Chi" was excellent...learned a lot about the enemy...

Larry
Old 04-23-2003, 05:23 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default 3 out of 4?

Where those live targets or cardboard? Thank goodness you were in the 101 and 82nd. You had to do 4 out of 4 to get in the Cav! I would have loved to have the film of you trying to crawl through the tunnels.....maybe papasan too beaucoup to navagate!

Have fun and continue to be careful!

Airborne!
Abu!

Packo
Attached Images
File Type: gif 06_us_pow.gif (24.4 KB, 51 views)

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 10:06 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Lightbulb We were

Yes, there's no doubt we were a$$holes, especially when dealing with those damn tunnels. By the way, have they taken you to the VC and NVA cemeteries? How about the mass graves that we dug for them with Rome Plows?
Did you get my message about the town of Ap Chow? Every stone, every building is post Feb. of '68. Just wondering if they rebuilt it like it was.

Stay healthy,
Andy
Old 04-23-2003, 12:18 PM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 
Default Tunnels

I guess there`s something to be said for being "Too Beaucoup" to fit down the entrance hole.I wanted nothing to do with all the little surprizes Charles left for us in there.I did get to see one complex after it was secured and it was simply amazing!Rice,arm and ammo,med supplies...you name it.No wonder those little bastards could disappear so fast.Wonder if you guys went by Phu Loi on your way north and if it still looks the same.

Peace,Griz
Old 04-25-2003, 05:11 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Smile PLEIKU

We spent the night in Ban Me Thuot and tonight we are in Pleiku. The people here are very friendly, not like Saigon. Everyone waves from their homes, children come up to you and smile and ask our names and where are we from. Had dinner at a hole in the wall place and visited with the Taiwanese soccer team. Again, very friendly. At one store one man remarked how large Tom and I are. Then he said "tall". I guess on their standards I would be tall (5'4").

Tomorrow we are leaving for Qui Nhon then Nha Trang for 2 days on the beach. Tom and James said this will be the in country R&R they never got. From a wives point of view, I am glad I came to see the country and to understand a little bit more what Tom and James did here and went through. I am very proud of you all!!!!

Thank goodness I haven't seen anyone that looks like Tom however a toothless, older woman did approach him in Saigon and possibly had a look of recognition on her face.

Ok, we must go now. Tom and I just wanted to check in and say all is well and having a great time. Talk again in a couple days.

Kath (Ms. Frisco-Kid)

PS to Larry - The hat is a green baseball cap with a patch that says "Ho Chi Minh City" across the top and "The Tunnels of Cu Chi" on the bottom, and a picture of a soldier crawling through the tunnels. It's pretty cool actually.
Old 04-25-2003, 01:29 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Kath,

Your post made me smile..glad you all are ok...stay safe...and keep us posted...

Arrow>>>>>

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 04-25-2003, 02:23 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Great reading - Thank you
Old 04-25-2003, 07:44 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Toothless old lady

There's a joke about that but I won't tell it. Git in trouble. Glad the guys are doing OK. I was worried about that. I wouldn't be OK and that's why I won't go. It sounds like they are finding some peace, though. Good.
Old 04-25-2003, 08:06 PM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 

Keep up the good reports this is the best reading I'v seen in over 4 years on the net>. keep up the good work I'm proud of all of you.