The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-25-2003, 11:30 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default This is a real treat...

and it is real good Karma for all of us... would love to have one of those ball caps ! Who knows, I may decide to make the trip some day...Keep up the good work and watch out for SARS !

Larry
Old 04-26-2003, 10:23 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up QUI NHON

Drove down from Kontum yesterday, and found aplace right on the beach. Pool, tennis, dining, etc.. Just as good as anything I've stayed at in Mexico or Hawaii, for $45. We decided to stay another day, since it was so nice.

Kath and I just got back from a 1hr, cyclo tour if the town. The best way to see the place. Negotiated price: about $2 for 2 cyclos. Gonna go take a dip in the South China Sea. shortly. Warm as bath water!

Last night for dinner Kath had a fresh shrimp dish with a cucumber salad, and I had a steak with potatoes. She had a 7UP and I had 2 Tiger Beers, all served poolside. Cost= $4. This truly is a bargain spot. I'm thoroughly enjoying myself. I've tried to keep it more in a perspective as a tourist, rather than as a returning combatant. I came over here with a whole bunch if curiosity and no axe to grind. Will try to post more later.
Old 04-28-2003, 01:55 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default NHA TRANG

Got into town a couple of hours ago, after about a 5hr. drive from Qui Nohn. Due to the time factor, we're not going to make it any further north than Qui Nohn. We're going to spend the rest of the day and night here, and then head for Moirne for tomorrow. From there it's back to Saigon on Wed., and catch the plane home on Thu.. Where did the time go?

The drive down Rt. 1 was very nice. The road is in great shape, with much of it newly paved. Had to do a few detours around some of the bridges that are under constuction. Passed alot of picture postcard scenery of beautiful, deserted, white sand beaches along the way. They could easily turn this place into THE seaside resort destination of SEA if they wanted to develop it.

Nha Trang is quite a bit more touristy than Qui Nohn was. There are alot more beach front hotels, which worked to our favor. Due to the competition and tourism being down, because of the SARS scare, we were able to negotiate a hotel for $27. Alot more sidewalk vendors, cyclo drivers, etc., bothering you to buy something. Seems to be more Caucasions in town, than we saw in Qui Nohn. Most of the ones that we've actually talked to were Aussies or Kiwis, but have heard French and German spoken.

This computer is soooooo slow, I can't take anymore. I'll try to post more later.
Old 04-28-2003, 05:45 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Tom

How are you getting onto the internet?

Ron
Old 04-28-2003, 06:45 AM

Sounds like your all enjoying yourselves. May God be with you and keep you all safe. Take lots of pictures as I'm sure Andy and I will never go there as he has no desire and I don't think it would be in his best interest to do so.

Enjoy all that you see. God bless,

Annette
With man this is impossible,but with God all things are possible. Matthew 19:26
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 07:05 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Happy just to be alive

Quote:
Originally posted by 39mto39g How are you getting onto the internet?

Ron
There's internet cafe's all over town, literally 1 or 2 on every block.Theyre packed with folks communicating with the outside world. Almost every hotel has one, it's costing me 500dong a minute (15, 492 Dong is $1.00--thats not a misprint.)(The VietcomBank motto: "Let us handle your dong!") We find ourselves fumbling with bills some worth a fraction of a penny but most places welcome $$$$anyway, lots of places take Visa, etc.
There is no traces of war anymore--We couldn't find the old 1st Cav base at anh Khe--this was about a square mile. The helicopter base we stayed at in Buon Ma Thuot is a Water Slide Park now. There's no Bad vibe at all--this may not be so in the North, though
This is the greatest vacation spot Ive been to, possibly ever. Nha Trang is coming on--we'll show you tyhe pictures. Qui Nhon I like a litttle better--less people, less touristy, quieter, more like family. This is like Waikiki only cheaper. You can do anything here--jetski, scuba dive, parasail, fish. The next spot we go to--Mui Ne Beach near Phan Thiet is supposed to be evern better, more pristine

THE PSYCOVET MC RIDES THE NAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I rented a Honda in Qui Nhon and Sue and I went looking for the old helicopter base where we stayed the time we were patrolling south of here. Never found it--got lost-- but it was an adventure. Tom and I went cruising on it taking videos--you'll see them soon, there 2 digital camers and one video camera going near all the time. Sue and I rented a motorcucle here too looking for the Recondo School where I went here--got lost again and didn't find it although I remember pretty well where it was--close to the airport.The giant statue of Buddha is still here There probly wasn't anything left anyway. The next time I come I may look for it but maybe not. The next time I come, it will be for a month.
You wouldn't believe the difference--The people all look healthy and happy--kids walking around in their bagggy cargo shorts, Tommy Hilfiger shirts and adidas knockoffs look just like home. I see this place becoming like Sweden in a few years, these people are commercial oriented, the commie government doesn't slow them down at all. Everybody's fed-I see a LOT more homeless people in the Bay Area than Ive seen here. There's no sleaze, no sandbags, no "You bookoo dinkydow sau GI GI you number 10" plenty of people speak English, they teach it in schools here and everybody wants to try out theirs on us.
All the houses have electricity now and TV antennas sticking up from the poorest. there's plenty of houses here a lot nicer than mine now with their SUV tucked inside, there's a real emerging middle class. The water buffalos have pretty well been replaced by tractors although we did se a few here. Cone head hats have been replaced by baseball caps and there's some Yankee, Raider and Cowboy fans judging by the logos
It was GORGEOUS driving down from QuiNhon to here, I'd never been down this way before. Gorgeous unspoiled 10 mile beaches with pretty little fishing villes along the way. Everybody was saying "WOW!!!" the whole way. It's as nice as the Mediterranean and not so polluted

Souvenirs!!!!! We're coming back with an armload--Tshirts, hats etc--one for everyone who wants one--top of the line tshirts:$2.50 plus lots of pretty little knickyknack things--

Larry--I accomplished the mission, I'll tell you about it later
Ron--Have fun at the Crawdad Fest
God bless all you guys, we'll see you soon

James

(The Artist Formerly Known As RA19896031)
Old 04-28-2003, 04:30 PM

Put me on the list for a T shirt PLEASE.

God bless, have a lot of fun and stay safe. Love, hugs and prayers to all.

Annette
With man this is impossible,but with God all things are possible. Matthew 19:26
Old 04-28-2003, 04:41 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default hmmmm

... seems pretty Capitalist, etc.. Good to hear Tom is using that Video Camcorder. Please axed Tom or Kath to buy a special necklace for Meggie (just for Meg)--- will reimburse --- just something reasonably priced, and Vietnameze-ish (old style Bitnam, like rocks and clam shells and hemp yarn), from up around Dong Ha --- otay ?

Beau
Old 04-28-2003, 05:30 PM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default A colors ride in VN

What a trip.... Are you guys going to Khe Sahn? I have seen some history channel stuff on It and it appears to be just a grassy plain now. Hiway 9 is a blacktop road so I hear. Be safe look forward to psyco pics when you get back..
Old 04-28-2003, 06:15 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs down TAN, THE CYCLO MAN

Rented a couple of cyclos yesterday here in Nha Trang, for an hours tour of the city. The best way to see these towns, in my thinking. Did alittle shopping and went up to the BIG Buddha, etc.. One of the drivers was named Tan. He is 49yrs. old, with a family of a wife and 3 children. He speaks excellent English. The reason for that is because he is an educated man, who was an ARVN infantry Captain who operated around Dalat. Because of his ARVN service, there is no room for him in the new VN. He has been a cyclo driver for 10yrs.. He HATES the Commies. He refuses to be "rehabilitated" and get a government job. He makes about $70 a month, and his wife works as a cook, making about $40 a month. Average income here is about $50. Their 18yr. old son is a barber, and their 19yr. old daughter is in college in Saigon. This is why Tan does 12-14hr. days. He also has an 11yr. old daughter in primary school. This is the other side of the coin here. I know we've been painting a rosey picture of here, but these are Commies with long memories of which side of the "Revolution" you were on. More later.