The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Other Conflicts > Cold War

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-05-2003, 02:12 PM

Post Big Red One in the Cold War

Society of the First Infantry Division has just included the Big Red One's Cold War history in it's website.

http://www.bigredone.org/history/

While you're visiting that site, click on "BIG RED ONE MARCH" and enjoy the rousing "Spirit of the First Division" march!
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2003, 01:15 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default delta1/28...

Checked-it-out, and all seemed pretty-impressive.

Still, and having once been part of Operation Gyroscope (1955) as 10th Recon. Co., I'm quite certain that The American Legion and VFW do not recognize The Big Red One as having served in any and NOT TO BE RECOGNIZED Cold War capacity,...as are 5 million or so Cold War Veterans NOT RECOGNIZED by The Legion and VFW.

The time frame served of The 1st Infantry Div., as alluded to, makes them one and all: "Occupation Forces", and thus recognizable by The Elite Legion and VFW.

It doesn't matter that The 10th Division took over every defensive and suicidal (outnumbered by Warsaw Pact Armor about 8-10 to 1) delaying positions. "WE" just served during THE WRONG YEARS,...or so The Legion and VFW would insultingly have everyone believe.

Neil
Old 06-29-2003, 08:23 PM

Default Wrong Years?

OK Neil how do we make them the "Right years?"
Old 07-06-2003, 07:28 AM

Default No Mission Too Difficult

No Sacrifice Too Great. DUTY FIRST.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:22 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Don't know, MM......

Still, and since The AMVETS don't act so biasedly insulting towards so many Cold War Veterans and consider all Honorable Veterans as Brothers,...I would merely suggest that both The American Legion and VFW stopped acting so superiorily.

I could understand such bias if only Combat Decorations were honored. But, and since mainly Dates of Service are what counts for The Legion and VFW,...I think such a longtime and Veteran Organizational Superiority is downright silly.

Yeah, that's right. A prisoner at The Stockade in Manheim West Germany in I954 qualifies for both The Legion and VFW. Whereas if some Scout on the East German or Czech Borders getting picked-off in 1955,...doesn't even qualify being on their rolls.

Neil
Old 07-14-2003, 10:08 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Was with 3/37th Armor in Germany. Fulda Gap was our defensive position. We were told we would be in a " target rich enviroment " ie 10 tanks to our one.
Old 07-14-2003, 01:29 PM

Default Neil

You have my vote. I think they should break them down into no more then two VSO's American Veterans and Veterans of foreign service just to keep the other in check.

Bob
Old 07-15-2003, 10:51 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default DMZ-LT....

The silliness of some veteran cliques considering themselves superior to some other Honorable Veterans aside,...being that all Recon Scouts were cleared for "SECRET"(at minimum), I can tell you that it was actually worse than the 10 to 1 disparity in armor you mentioned. Also, and whatever happened or didn't happen,...was strictly up to The Bad Guys.

The actual reality about the unarguable Warsaw Pact superiority in armor, infantry and air power was totally overwhelming, and if The Bad Guys chose to attack,...a three day delaying action before being overrun was the best case scenario for all American and British Troops or Troopers out on a limb.

It was only many years later that President Reagan levelled the playingfield somewhat with The Neutron Bomb and/or best tank killer ever divised. Without destroying tanks or vehicles A Neutron Bomb could wipe-out or kill every Tank Crew, supporting Infantry and Support Units in a division (naturally if sort-of bunched-up) without actually destroying the vehicles. Such was one-helluva threat for ANYONE to contend with.

Regardless, in 55 thru 58 no such luxury (Auto/Truck Dealers' delight also) of a deterent existed. So, and in retrospect, I guess it fair to thank the Warsaw Pact Nations (one and all) for being so cool-headed and permitting me to live infinitely much longer, than if not cool-headed. Hey,...one should appreciate such things. Don't you think?

Neil :cl:
Old 07-15-2003, 11:44 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up Neil

I do appreciate it. Given the geography around Fulda Gap I was pretty sure both sides had nukes planned for the area. We never would have lasted 3 days . As I recall my CO explained it to me we were " trip wires"
Old 07-15-2003, 12:30 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default DMZ-LT...

That was the beauty of it all. The Neutron Bomb wasn't a Nuke. Plus, with with Nukes and/or MAD (Mutual Assured Destruction) everyone looses anyway.

And besides, with 10 to 1 superiority who-the-hell needs Nukes to get the job done? Or, and for that matter, and since enemy would be largely on friendly soil after overruning us, where would We Nuke?

So, and in that context, I think that both Reagan and The Neutron Bomb were both greatly underated. Without BOTH at the right time and the right place,...I believe that "The Wall" would still be standing to this very day. Which, and givin what Liberty and Freedom has evolved to in Eastern Europe,...makes one wonder if communism wasn't all that bad FOR THOSE FOLKS?

Hey,...at least under communism "They" most all didn't want to kill each other,...just for sport.

Neil