The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-27-2002, 05:54 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up 31 years ago.....

..... tomorrow , we made it to a clearing and a chopper came by and threw out a couple of arty shell casings. In one the casings were cold mashed potatos and in the other cold turkey. I had to scoop the potatos out with my hands to serve everyone. We stayed there all day - no one got hurt that day. I am thankfull for that day and thankfull that all of you and my other family will be sharing the day tomorrow. Welcome home.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2002, 08:56 AM

'71, huh? Where were you?

The Old Sarge
Old 11-27-2002, 09:50 AM

Distinctions
VOM 

... well, LT... old beau had not gotten there yet but i'm glad they atleast served up the famous 5 star dish of turkey and batadoes a la shell casing ... served up in the old country traditon of hand scooping (don't say which hand!) ... though i would not see you boys ... we would bring the boys of the Z many arty shells ... 31 years.

Siempre fiel, Soldado de las aguas cafe, Beau
Old 11-27-2002, 11:12 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Thumbs up Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving of '67 we were attempting to knock down some of the Hobo Woods. After Rome Plows had pushed down another acre of trees we came upon a cross made of iron rods and cement. Sucker must have been 30 feet high, right out in the middle of no were. It was a weird sight. Half hour later a chopper came in with warm turkey, fresh baken bread and beer. Don't remember my other Thanksgiving across the pond, obviously it didn't compare.

Stay healthy,
Andy
Old 11-27-2002, 02:26 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Thanksgiving 67

We were licking our wounds fron Dak To, didn't care much about anything at that time. Don't mean nothin.
Ron
Old 11-27-2002, 06:04 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Default Right back at you

Lt...

Arrow>>>>>>

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 11-29-2002, 06:59 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Thanksgiving Day 1969 Vietnam

In a thicket of small scrubs and bamboo, fog and very heavy. overcast, rainning lightly. Had dug us our holes for the night. Two
platoons had been on patrol and had just got back for the day, a chopper landed with hot turkey and gravy dressing, cold milk, coffee. it was in the mermite(?) cans and hot.Then they gave us one(1) issue paper plate,white in color.The food was served from the can to each and everyone in the field.Now by the time it took you to leave your position and get a plate and get back to your open position(only 3 guys from each platoon could leave at a time)your plate had a nice waterhole sitting in the bottom of that by now very wet paper plate. Now to get some of all the goodies you had to sling your weapon so both hands could be free.So now you have in one hand a Thanksgiving Dinner and in the other hand a canteen cup full of black strong hot coffee.You find you a spot where you can have a little quiet and give thanks to the almighty that you can still be there to enjoy it,that you are still in the game, cold, wet, lonely, scared but not hunger. I eat my meal and was a proud American, still am.

Delta Company"Black Death" 3/21st 196th Light Infantry Brigade Americal Division working off LZ Center I Corp
Old 11-29-2002, 07:20 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default 1967 Thaksgiving Day

Was my first thanksgiving away from home. We were on SAR/LE patrol in the North Atlantic. the cooks, known as commisarymen in those days, did a great job. They really set out a feast but boy was it hard to eat.

My old cutter had a round bottom and we rolled like hell. Trying to cut up a piece of turkey and hang on to a glass of milk at the same time was pretty comical, but never the less the food was tasty and the effort was appreciated. The TAMAROA was my first duty station and to this day, I keep in touch with several other members of the crew.

BillD.

King John 2.1.466
Old 11-29-2002, 10:33 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default THANKSGIVING DAY, 1966

Somewhere near Kontum. It's drizzling. I'm in the first Huey to come into the LZ. It's not much of an LZ. We can only get a couple choppers at a time in. The Huey hovers 5'-6' off the ground, and we jump out. The guys in the other chopper does the same. We spread out to secure the perimeter of the LZ. It's quiet. Real quiet. The plt. leader sends out 3 guys as a LP. Shortly we hear a bunch of shooting, but immediately notice that none of it is M-16 fire, and close. Not a good sign. We have somemore guys on the ground, so move out to look for our LP guys. We find them. They've been ambushed. 2 dead, and the other shot up real bad, but alive. The bad guys are gone. So starts another day of the Cat and Mouse game of Search and Destroy in The Nam. The rest of the day is uneventful. Later that afternoon, they bring us out turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy, and hot coffee. Happy Thanksgiving. I'm thankful I'm alive.

THANKSGIVING DAY, 1968.
Cam Ranh Bay. We're not out on a convoy, so get to have Thanksgiving dinner in our mess hall. Turkey and all the trimmings. I eat until I can hardly move, and I don't feel guilty about it. Just the luck of the draw. ALOT better than the Thanksgiving of '66, but failed miserably compared to the Thanksgiving of '67, which was spent at my parents' house.

WELCOME HOME, BOYS.
Old 11-30-2002, 02:17 AM

too many thanksgiving in the mud. it was for a long time before I could set down at a table and eat a meal for a long time the only way I could eat dinner was to get it and go set outside in the woods .lol
razz