The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-20-2002, 04:31 PM

Default Uploading pictures to the Patriot Forum: 101

...Hope this might help anyone having troubles uploading pictures .

When ever I want someone to tell or teach me something, I expect them to assume I know nothing of the subject. And in my case that's always a warranted assumption.

There are lot's of shortcuts to this uploadmethod, but those can be learned later. You need one successful upload under your belt to be sure that you have done and are familiar withall the steps the Forum needs you to do. The shortcuts will be obvious after a few uploads.

So, let's start with the basics...

Without starting/opening Patriot Files or your AOL or I/E browser, find the picture on your computer that you want to upload and get it's exact address (The drive, folder and it's full file name). You should be able to get this by using the "Start/Find/Files or Folders" feature of Windows (The Start button is at the lower left corner of your screen).

If you don't know what the name of the picture file is, use whatever image/pix viewer you have and bring the picture up to your screen. Right click on it, when the diologue box pops up, left click on "Properties", when another box pops up, use the information in it for the "Start/Find " function.Here's an example address: C:\sports\jeffbaseball.jpg

When you find the exact address of the picture, write it down for later use. (important)

Notes:
The size of the file must be less than 1500000 bytes (1500000 bytes = 1,500kb ) most pictures will be much less than that, but keep in mind the larger the file, the longer the upload time for you and the longer thedownload time for the viewer on Patriot Files.

The extension on the file must be one of these ... (Valid file extensions: gif jpg png txt zip bmp jpeg mp3 pdf pps) Example: C:\sports\jeffbaseball.jpg The address of your picture will depend on where you saved it.

Ok, got the right address written down ? Now connect to the intenet and get to the Patriot Files page the way you normally do.

Go to the Test Forum and start a new thread. When the "Post New Thread" screen opens up, type into the big box " I AM going to upload a picture". Now scan down to just below the big box to the smaller rectangle box and click on the " Browse..." button.

A box titled "Choose File" opens on the top left of your screen. In it there is a small rectangle box near the top labled "Look in". At the right of that box is a down arrow, click it.

Another box pops up with a list of your drives. Click on the drive letter that is the same as the first letter in the address you wrote down earlier.

In my example it would be C: ( C:\sports\jeffbaseball.jpg ) .

When you do that another box pops up, Double-click on the folder listed that is the same as the second part of your address.

Again, in my example it would be sports. (C:\sports\jeffbaseball.jpg ).

Another box pops up, Double-click on the file that's the same as the last part of your address.

In my example it would be - jeffbaseball.jpg - (C:\sports\jeffbaseball.jpg ).
When you do that last double click you are returned to the Patriot "Post New Thread" screen.

There is a small rectangle box next to the " Browse..." button you used earlier. The address you wrote down should be in that box, You may not be able to see all of it.

Next and last, just below the Browse button is one labled "Submit", click it. The Forum program will start uploading your pix and will return you to the Test Forum and the post you created. The time it takes to do this depends on the size of your picture.

You might want to print this out. (Left click and highlite all of this, right click and then left click COPY.
Open notepad or any word processor and right click inside the blank page then click paste, and print it.

If any of the computer gurus see any mistakes please correct and repost......
Old 11-20-2002, 04:39 PM

No mistakes, Ken. Great job! Bravo!!!!!
Old 11-20-2002, 07:48 PM

Jane,

When I first got on this forum I tried to post about 20 pictures before Wazza and David finally made me realize I couldn't cut and paste like you do in Outlook or Outlook Express.

Old 11-20-2002, 08:54 PM

Thanks Ken. I was wondering how to do it.

Philly
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 09:00 PM

Your very welcome