The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-07-2004, 11:44 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up Bitnam Nicknames

Everybody in my platoon had a nick name . Mine was easy LT , prounced EL TEE. Guess where Tex was from , Tiny was about 6ft 6 and jelly belly had an ample mid section. My Company Commander nick named me The Screamer because every time we got in a big contact he said I was screaming on the radio. I must admit he was probably right. Ain't easy easy answering his dumb $hit questions when the rounds started wizzing by and I am trying to keep my men as safe as I could while killing the little @&** so they would quit trying to kill us. Right in the middle of the fight he would want to know where most of the fire was , how many wounded could walk, about how many did I think we were fighting etc. None of which was helping keeping us safe and them dead.If I was a screamer so be it. I got a lot of us home
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2004, 02:16 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Mine

Was Mike, I don't think half the guys in my platoon knew my name was Ron.
We had "Big Man" (6'8", 325 lbs)
Draw, he always practiced a quick draw with a 45????
Troop, He had some big long last name with Troop in the middle.
Rat, He would Volinteer to go in tunels?
New York-- he was from NY
Tenn, He was from Tenn. Funnest guy I ever met.
Trap, he would set up booby traps that you had to blow to disarm.
Gulf,--He was squad RTO 39Gulf
Holky--He was there when I got there and I never knew his name or why he was called Holky, He was a RTO also Alpha-minor.

Ron
Old 01-07-2004, 04:44 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default MINE

was 'Frisco because of my hometown. Picked it up in AIT and it stuck. Didn't take long for someone to add "Kid" to it, as in Cisco Kid. I don't like to put people's last names on the World Wide Web without their permission, so won't now.

COZ: His last name was Cos***

BEETLE: Pertained to his last name.

SUGAR BEAR: I don't know. He was a BIG, black dude.

SUPERSPADE: Another black dude. One of the bravest guys that I've known. He was awarded a Silver Star while still alive, which was VERY uncommon in the 101st back then.

SNAKE: Because he grabbed one by it's tail as it was trying to get away in the underbrush. When he pulled it out, it was a 6' cobra and it was PISSED! A guy from GA emptied a clip into it saying "GAWD, I hate fuckin' snakes."

COUNTRY: From KY or TN, forget which. Always seemed half asleep. This guy had the sloowwwest southern drawl that I've ever heard. He didn't move much faster, either.

BIG RED and LITTLE RED: Big Red had a handlebar moustache that you could see as he walked away from you. He tried to trim it once when he was drunk and whittled it down to nothing. I never saw it the same size again. Little Red would fight anybody, no matter how big. Once saw him bite off a piece of a guy's ear.

CAPONE: A NYC Italian dude who was built like a fire hydrant. Always talked about how tough his neighborhood was and said he had Mob connections.

Some others I can't recall right now. Proud to have known every one of them.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:04 PM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 

We had quite an asortment of nick names on our ship Mine was Red because of my red beard when we were allowed to have one. then there was snake because of his physical attribute, and porky a old lifer of about thiry and about 20 lbs over weight. we also had chi from chicago, and of corse hollywood, and philly, and i can't forget doc or cookie yeah everyone had somekind of nick name didn't know any first names but all the last names
Old 01-08-2004, 04:49 AM

reeb, of course.

Except for when we got liberty.

The ladies would call me " white soul brother ".

enough.........
Old 01-18-2004, 12:41 AM

Okay, I wasn't old enough to be in Nam, but I had a nickname too. They called me Smurfett because I was the only woman in the unit when I first joined.
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan
Old 01-18-2004, 12:42 AM

Oh, and of course later on when I became an Ssgt and in charge of the pleebs fresh out of school I was called the Dragon Lady, they weren't brave enough to call me Biyatch to my face.
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan
Old 01-18-2004, 07:00 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Bet you done good DL. Got me smiling. Did I tell you I was an OPA ? Get ready grandma it's really cool !
Old 01-18-2004, 10:05 PM

Okay LT, the new nickname isn't Grandma (gringe). It's Nanny. I guess it's about to become really hard to be intimidating when one is a "Nanny".

Still The DL
President Ronald Reagan
Old 01-19-2004, 05:10 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

DL , them little ones will melt your heart in a second. Enjoy !