The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > World War II

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-14-2006, 06:32 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Remebering V-J Day

To all those who had relatives serving in the Pacific theater Today Marks V-J Day and the end of the conflict with Japan Remembering V-J Day and the soldiers and Sailors that served
Old 08-15-2006, 04:54 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

My Dad , who was drafted in 1940 , and got out in 1945. Hardly ever talked about his time with the Big Red One in Africa , Italy and Normandy and Europe. But he was forever grateful for VJ Day cause they were slated to go over there next. Miss you Dad
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 09:14 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Hey Jerry D, you beat me to it. Sorry, I posted this in the General forum today after you.

If your going to suceed your going to have to know how to deal with failure. (Joe Torre).
Old 08-15-2006, 11:23 AM

WWII Boy's and Gal's are really thinning out. God Bless them all for their efforts to make this a free world.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 08-15-2006, 11:37 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Boats nailed it! We truly owe the WWII vets an enormous bowl of gratitude for what they did for us. Similarly, those young warriors and warriorettes of today are also protecting us from another form of tyranny, and we owe them big-time as well.

The events of August 1945 could be re-examined and possibly applied today with similar long-term beneficial results. Back then, we were faced with a fanatical enemy, who believed that by dying whle serving his emperor he would attain some form of exalted life in the hereafter. Fortunately for many of our warriors, our atomic bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki expedited the arrival of some of these fanantics at their designated Nirvana.

Fast-forward to today: it might be useful to contemplate how a better world might be achieved by the use of another nuke, but the question remains as to the target area. If we could just aim a smaller one at Assad of Syria, the raghead of Iran (can't spell and don't want to learn how to spell his name), and a few other fomenters of trouble, we could all sleep better, have lower gas prices, and more world peace.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 08-15-2006, 05:38 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default In Memory of PFC Buddy Haas 1925-2006

Hey Ya'all, My Cousin PFC Ferdinand "Buddy" Haas while serving with the 307th Inf Reg was in the Pacific Theater, While serving on Okinawa with the 77th Inf Div he was directing fire against Enemy positions when he was shot in the leg while in the Battle for Okinawa. He nearly had his leg shot off and recovered at Camp (Ft.) Carson Colo and was discharged from there and returned home by riding the Train to Jeff City,Mo then a Postal Truck to Salem,Mo after many years he received his (11) Medals last year, 58yrs later from our congresswoman and this past April 22nd he passed away. I am thankful for all the years I knew my Cousin and his Accomplishments while serving our country. V-J Day will always remind me of my Cousin Buddy and all the memories I have of going to the Town and Country Grocery he ran and visiting with my Cousins(who worked there) while grocery shopping. I know he is up there in Heaven throwing back some beers with his Buddies that have passed on as well. Amen and God Bless our Soldiers who live to tell their Stories for us to pass on to our heirs.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:56 PM

Ahhhhh VE & VJ day now there are a couple of days i will never forget, on both of these days i was in London and what sights there were for a young lad to behold, it does not seem possible it was that long ago. I remember on that morning walking down the Haymarket and lorry came round the corner laden with beer and in flash a couple of soldiers were up there throwing some crates of beer down. A policeman came around the corner and caught them. I can here him now saying to them you had better have drunk all that by the time i get or I will have to arrest you. The look on the soldiers faces was a picture to behold but the beer soon went
Old 04-19-2007, 02:04 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Thats a great story Tab, thanks for posting it
Old 11-04-2007, 04:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to frcharlie
Default Seattle on VJ Day

We lived in Seattle, WA, in 1945. I was three years old and VJ Day is the first memory I have that I can really date. The city went nuts. I can remember asking my mom why all the sirens and car horns weree going offf, and she said, "Because the war is over.