Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-02-2009, 12:22 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Exclamation Obama goes to e-mail list for stimulus support

Obama goes to e-mail list for stimulus support
By Sam Youngman
Posted: 02/02/09 11:48 AM [ET]

President Obama is using his massive grassroots e-mail list compiled during his campaign to try and ramp up support for his economic stimulus package.

In an e-mail to supporters Monday, Obama encourages them to host or attend an "Economic Recovery House Meeting" this weekend.

"I hope to sign the recovery plan into law in the next few weeks. But I need your help to spread the word and build support," Obama wrote.

The $819 billion plan passed the House last week without a single Republican vote, and Senate Republicans expressed skepticism about the package over the weekend.

"The stakes are too high to allow partisan politics to get in the way," Obama said. "That's why I've consulted with Republicans as well as Democrats to put together a plan that will address the crisis we face."

In his e-mail, Obama said that Democratic National Committee chairman and Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine will record a video message that can be played at the house meetings, answering questions people have about the stimulus package.

The president said in the e-mail that he has already "taken steps to ensure an unprecedented level of transparency and accountability."

"Once it's passed, you will be able to see how every penny in this plan is being spent," he said.

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/...009-02-02.html

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2009, 12:36 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Remember that list is what was used to get him elected and was composed of people throughout the world. Read past post and you will find people bragged about how they were helping from the Gaza Strip.

Congress will be buried in mass phone calls and emails from EVERYWHERE!

http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106506

Old 02-02-2009, 04:23 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Exclamation

Just got my marching orders from President Obama, via the merged DNC/Obama campaign mega-e-mail list. Obama-bot Force…activated. Form of…the Crap Sandwich Brigade!

michelle –

The economic crisis is growing more serious every day, and the time for action has come.
Last week, the House of Representatives passed the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, which will jumpstart our economy and put more than 3 million people back to work.

I hope to sign the recovery plan into law in the next few weeks. But I need your help to spread the word and build support.

It’s not enough for this bill to simply pass Congress. Americans need to know how it will affect their lives — they need to know that help is on the way and that this administration is investing in economic growth and stability.

Governor Tim Kaine has agreed to record a video outlining the recovery plan and answering questions about what it means for your community. You can submit your questions online and then invite your friends, family, and neighbors to watch the video with you at an Economic Recovery House Meeting.

Join thousands of people across the country by hosting or attending an Economic Recovery House Meeting this weekend.

The stakes are too high to allow partisan politics to get in the way.

That’s why I’ve consulted with Republicans as well as Democrats to put together a plan that will address the crisis we face.

I’ve also taken steps to ensure an unprecedented level of transparency and accountability. Once it’s passed, you will be able to see how every penny in this plan is being spent.

You can help restore confidence in our economy by making sure your friends, family, and neighbors understand how the recovery plan will impact your community.

Sign up to host or attend an Economic Recovery House Meeting and submit your question for the video now:

http://my.barackobama.com/recovery

Our ability to come together as a nation in difficult times has never been more important.

I know I can rely on your spirit and resolve as we lead our country to recovery.

Thank you,
President Barack Obama

P.S. — If you can’t host or attend an Economic Recovery House Meeting, you can still submit your questions for Governor Kaine and then share the video with your friends and family this weekend. Learn more here:

http://my.barackobama.com/recovery

Paid for by Organizing for America, a project of the Democratic National Committee — 430 South Capitol Street SE, Washington, D.C. 20003. This communication is not authorized by any candidate or candidate’s committee.

http://michellemalkin.com/2009/02/02...orceactivated/

Old 02-06-2009, 07:38 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Wink

Results in on Obama's grassroots appeal: It's a bust

Frank Greve | McClatchy Newspapers

last updated: February 06, 2009 07:00:10 PM

WASHINGTON — Few supporters are answering President Barack Obama's call for nationwide house-party gatherings this weekend to build grass-roots support for his economic stimulus plan.

A McClatchy survey of sign-up rosters for a score of cities across the country revealed only 34 committed attendees in Tacoma, Wash., as of midafternoon Friday; in Fort Worth, Texas, only 54, and in Sacramento, Calif., just 78.

"Before the election, we would have had 500 to 800," said Kim Mack, 46, a Sacramento city-facility manager who's hosted house parties for political figures and causes since the mid-'90s.

Even in Washington, policy-wonk capital of the nation, only about 500 people had signed up.

Damien LaVera, a spokesman for the Democratic National Committee, called the interest level "considerable" for what he described as "the first national call to action aimed at helping to keep people informed and active in advancing the president's agenda."

Obama the candidate used house parties to recruit volunteers and raise money with great success, but this is the first time that a president has tried to mold his supporters into a post-election lobbying force.

It promises to be an uphill battle, several supporters said.

"A lot of people, once Obama got elected, thought, 'Well, we're done now,' " said Cheryl Kopec, 47, an Iraq war veteran who lives in the Fern Hill section of Tacoma. As of Friday afternoon, Kopec had filled only nine of 30 seats for an economic stimulus gathering at the local library.

"I remain interested in the idea of house parties, but only if they result in something," said Leslie Ries, 41, a University of Maryland ecologist with two infants at home who'd volunteered for Obama but is sitting out house parties. "I mean, do we develop a position paper and send it in or what?"

Mack, the house-party proponent from Sacramento, said that comparing the pre-election turnout to the upcoming one was unfair.

Obama campaign house-party meetings were "truly about something that united everybody," Mack said. "This weekend, what we're talking about is the economy, and some people just don't want to be involved in that.

Their issue is health care or climate change or getting out of Iraq."

Her theory — and Obama's hope — is that when subgroup participation is added up, the total will be as impressive as his campaign numbers were.

The overall Obama policy-support effort, known as "Organizing for America," got under way last Friday and received the president's summons to action on the stimulus on Monday.

Despite the tight time frame, LaVera said the effort would yield about 3,000 economic stimulus sessions nationwide.

Some house parties — maybe a quarter — don't appear on the "Organizing for America" sign-up site, the source of McClatchy's tally, because their hosts are inviting only friends. Of those that did appear, the typical house party that McClatchy tallied was less than half full Friday afternoon.

(David Coffey contributed to this story.)

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/homepage/story/61724.html