The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Branch Posts > Marines

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-25-2013, 07:34 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Thumbs up Legendary Korean War Horse honored at National Museum of the Marine Corps

Legendary Korean War Horse honored at National Museum of the Marine Corps
By Gwenn Adams | Headquarters Marine Corps | July 24, 2013

Triangle, Va. --

A monument to a chestnut-haired, Korean War combat seasoned female Marine beauty will stand proudly in Semper Fidelis Memorial Park, adjacent to the National Museum of the Marine Corps. Her strength, determination and espirt de corps made her a valuable asset long before there was ever a thought of women in combat. But then, she was no ordinary female.

SSgt Reckless was a small horse who served valiantly with a Marine recoilless rifle platoon and was even decorated for her actions.

A Marine lieutenant purchased Reckless for $250 from a young Korean boy who needed money to buy his sister an artificial limb. Reckless carried ammunition to the frontlines and quickly became a beloved presence on and off the battlefield. One of her finest moments was during the Battle of Outpost Vegas, a violent five-day battle during which the brave horse made 51 trips up and down a steep mountain side to reach the Marines’ firing positions. To this day, Korean War veterans recall seeing SSgt. Reckless repeatedly make the harrowing trek to bring both life-saving supplies and boosts to morale.

The monument honoring Reckless’ actions, sculpted by Jocelyn Russell, captures her in an uphill stance, carrying a load of ammunition. That is a picture most Marines who served with her will likely never forget. The idea of placing the monument at the Museum came to Robin Hutton, president of Angels Without Wings, Inc., the non-profit sponsoring the monument, after she read about Reckless’ actions in a compilation of horse stories.

“I was so inspired by her story that I instantly knew something had to be done to honor her. This monument, the book I’ve written about Reckless and all my efforts have been a labor of love. I’m so excited to see her get the recognition she deserves,” Hutton said.

Reckless’ history is also being told through a small exhibit in the Museum’s Korean War Gallery. The exhibit includes several artifacts and photos as well as an educational children's component, allowing young visitors to measure "how many hands high" they are in comparison to Reckless.

The monument and exhibit are fitting additions to the Museum’s history of all aspects of the Marine Corps.

The National Museum of the Marine Corps is at 18900 Jefferson Davis Highway in Triangle, Va. and is open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily except December 25. Admission and parking are free.

http://www.hqmc.marines.mil/News/New...ine-corps.aspx