The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Military Weapons

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-23-2004, 09:41 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Default Dan

Holy Gun Laws Batman! You got a a class A, but what's it for? Portection, Lawful Purposes, or Target & Hunting? I've heard of such towns where they are easy to get but only know of one. Pelham Ma. has only 5 police and a number of part timers. Only PD in the state, only one I've heard of where all the law has machine gun licenses. Protection licenses for citizens aren't a big problem there. Congrads on being lucky.

I'd still recomend a revolver - you do travel out of town.

Stay healthy,
Andy

PS: Sparrowhawk is right, a thumb break holster on your strong side is best or at least safest (don't want the bad guy to remove your weapon). However, I've seen people with some strange rigs and they swear by them.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2004, 10:20 AM

You might also want to check on the ammunition allowed in the Peoples Republic of Mass. Here in the PR of NJ you will go to jail for "Posession" of a hollow point round. If your weapon holds 7 of them tou will be charged with seven counts. My idea is to load some hollow base wadcutters backwards and keep the first two shots that way and all the rest loaded normally. DOUBLE TAP and when the coroner has questions you can always say the barrel is worn and the bullets "Tumble". A hollow base wadcutter loaded backwards with enough powder to hit 1,500 fps is an AWESOME man stopper. A normal wadcutter is loaded for around 950 fps.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62

Quote:
Originally posted by colmurph My idea is to load some hollow base wadcutters backwards and keep the first two shots that way and all the rest loaded normally.
Not a good idea, you'll get screwed for this in Jersey! Possession, use or manufacture of Hollow Points is a no no! By altering the round you are manufacturing a Hollow Point.

Quote:
Originally posted by colmurph DOUBLE TAP and when the coroner has questions you can always say the barrel is worn and the bullets "Tumble".
Again this idea doesn't wash. The lands and grooves only cut one way, thus the direction of the round can be determined. They are also going to confiscate your weapon if you are involved in a shooting. They will fire your weapon for a comparison round. Worn barrel or not they will look a lot a like under a microscope.

I have enough of background to tell you, do not use hand loads in a carry weapon for self defense. A good lawyer will rip you apart when you have to explain "Hand Loads"! Altered rounds carried for the purpose of killing...

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
Old 02-23-2004, 05:53 PM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default PHOs rules for shooting people

1. Anyone worth shooting is worth shooting twice.

2. He who hesitates gets buried.

3. When being interviewed by police say " officer I was afraid for my life".

4. You have the right to remain silent, USE IT after stating that you would like to speak to a lawyer.

5. It is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:24 PM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Having shot 3 people

in the last 10 years I speak from experience. My 2 favorite man stoppers are the 45 ACP and 44 special. After that a 38 special. Look deep within yourself before purchasing a handgun for self defense. Make sure you could pull the trigger if you need to. If and when you decide to purchase a handgun go to a gun store and handle several makes and models, you will find one that sings to you. I agree with Andy on purchasing a revolver for the home, no fooling with safetys no trying to pull the slide. Pick it up and shoot. PS 45 ACP is available in revolvers. Unless you are adept at dealing with lawyers and courtrooms use factory loads. on loaded or unloaded in the house I can only relate that my great grandfather, Frank "Pistol Pete" Eaton, when being interviewed on TV in Dallas Tx in 1952. When asked if his guns were loaded he pulled one and shot a hole in the studio floor. He remarked "I'd sooner have a pocket full of rocks than an unloaded gun".
Old 02-23-2004, 08:33 PM

I just want to echo the revolver line, but for different reasons. When you've got someone (burgler, mugger, JW at the front door at dinner time) by the scruff of the neck, it's hard to cock an auto!
Old 02-23-2004, 08:43 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post I have never owned

I have never owned a handgun. I guess the reason why is because even though I came from a shooting family. We hunted with both shotgun and rifle we never owned a handgun. I have neighbors and friends who own handguns and I have gone shooting with them on many occassions but for some reason have never felt the need for owning a handgun. I think Sid probably had good advice. If you own one you'd better be ready to use one. Even though I'm sure I'd do well in battle I just don't know if I want to take the responsibility for handgun ownership in the civilian world. Thanks for your post Sid.

Keith
Old 02-24-2004, 04:39 AM

"Again this idea doesn't wash. The lands and grooves only cut one way, thus the direction of the round can be determined. They are also going to confiscate your weapon if you are involved in a shooting. They will fire your weapon for a comparison round. Worn barrel or not they will look a lot a like under a microscope."

Sparrow Hawk.....no matter which end of a bullet comes out of the barrel first...the rifling cuts the same. You CANNOT determine which way the bullet was facing when it exited the barrel. If you have a bbl with a right hand twist and flip flop it ene for end.....it still has a right hand twist.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62

Quote:
Originally posted by colmurph
Sparrow Hawk.....no matter which end of a bullet comes out of the barrel first...the rifling cuts the same. You CANNOT determine which way the bullet was facing when it exited the barrel. If you have a bbl with a right hand twist and flip flop it ene for end.....it still has a right hand twist.
Sorry, but you can tell which way the bullet was seated. If the round, the wadcutter in this case was loaded backward the rifling would clearly show this. It cuts only one way, a second comparison round would be used to determine the direction of travel for the slug. Other indications would be the seating impression, the round would also mushroom the front of the round regardless of which way it way fired.
Take a JHP of FMJ round and it's not to hard to tell which way is what, a wad cutter examined by an expert and he/she can tell.
Yes flipping the barrel or the round it's self until it faces the right way again will yield the result you mention. However half a flip will not and the rifling marks will be upside down. Granted the twist doesn't change but the markings on the round would/will.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
Old 02-24-2004, 08:00 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Handguns I have

I have a S&W 5903 SSV 41/2 bbl 9mm This is a custom handgun of which there were only 1200 made for special HRT personnel. A S&W model 29 with 4 inch BBl 44mag but loaded with 44 special 200 grain silvertips customized with an internal barrel compensator and black teflon finish. Ruger super redhawk 44 mag with 91/2 bbl, My hog gun. Harrington and Richardson Target Model 22mag. Ruger SP101 in 38sp and 357. Ruger Mark I 22 LR, Walther PPK/S in 380. A Custom Built Para-Ordnance in 40 S&W.

I carry the 29 and H&R 22 mag in my truck with a speed loader for the 29 with 44mag rounds and the 5903 and PPK/S or SP101 for concealed carry. Mrs PHO carries the SP 101 in 38sp loaded with 110gr Corbon hollow points plus speed loader. I was married with the 5903 under my Tux.