The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-26-2004, 05:46 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Wink I Have Two

While looking through one of my dresser drawers I discovered that I still had two T-shirts, with the Tiger Beer logo on them, that I'd brought back from Nam last year. They are tagged XXL but, realistically, they're probably equal to a LARGE in U.S. size. If anybody is interested, PM me your address and they're yours. I have one green and one navy blue.

The logo is pretty cool. Who'da thunk that Tiger Piss would become the premium beer in Nam ? It's a very good one, too. A smooth pale ale. I guess it has a pretty wide international distribution, and has won some brewing awards. They, for sure, re-did the recipe from when we were drinking it warm outta those tall, clear glass bottles.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to Bill Farnie
Distinctions
VOM 

Frisco,

Is Tiger Beer the one with the 33 on the label?

It is well that war is so terrible, or we should get too fond of it. General Robert E. Lee
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 07:16 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default BILL

No, 33 [Ba Moui Ba] was different. It was in a brown, 12oz., bottle. Seemed like no two bottles tasted quite the same. Rumor had it that it was called 33 because it was 33% formaldehyde . Wouldn't surprise me if it was true. Ba Moui Ba was the most common native beer there.

Tiger Beer was in a tall [20oz.?], clear bottle. If I remember right, it had a full-bodied picture of a tiger on it. It wasn't a paper label, either. It was embossed on the bottle. I think all of the writing was in Vietnamese. Didn't know the real name of it. Everybody called it "TIGER PISS." Now it's in a 12oz. brown bottle. It's actually called "TIGER BEER," in English. The logo is just the head of the tiger. Like I said, a good beer. Ask Doc Fred. I sent him a bottle.

P.S. There is no "33" now. It's called "333." A new generation, I guess. Or, more formaldehyde . I tried it, but liked the Tiger Beer better.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:21 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Frisco,

I agree with the sizeing of those shirts. Even "large" is a relative term.

Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 05-27-2004, 08:53 AM

There was another brand in Vietnam that we used to drink called Beer LaRoue. Wasn't too bad. The Ba Muy Ba was really bad stuff as it wasn't pasturized and there will still live organisims swimming around in it from the river water that they used to either make the stuff or wash their bottles with. I know of more than one guy who got dysentery from drinking it. Tiger Beer was pretty good stuff.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:13 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up GONE

Both shirts are spoken for. Two people PMd me at the butt crack of dawn [on the west coast] this morning. You know who you are, check your PMs.

Thanks, Murph . BEER LaROUE! I knew there was a third one, and I couldn't recall it. Yeah, the "33" was pretty bad. Would often give a "I Wish I Would Die" hangover, too.
Old 05-27-2004, 04:38 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default beer

Black lable
Ron
Old 05-27-2004, 06:50 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Carling Black Label! I'd rather drink Ba Moui Ba. THAT'S some skunky beer, especially hot. After my first go-round, a Black Label has never crossed my lips again.
Old 05-27-2004, 08:39 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

We were near a small 'ville for a week or so ( around March 1970 ) will find the name...and it was the only timethat I can remember in my tour. We were able to walk thru and talk to the villagers and I even got a haircut. Several of the young troopers had a meal of canned mackeral and Tiger Beer, or so they said. Who knows what they really ate and drank. Anyway... they had temps near 102+ and were sick as dogs for 3 days. I think one was medevaced. Needless to say I didn't go in the 'ville again, much less eat or drink any native stuff. They were some real sick dudes...

Larry
Old 05-29-2004, 01:39 PM

oooooh, too many memories of the infamous "black label cable". You just can't get your butt clean after laying one of those.