Name and Rank: Airman 1st Class Devonte Smith
Unit: 48th Equipment Maintenance Squadron
Duty Title: Nondestructive inspection apprentice
Time in Service: 11 months
Time at Lakenheath: 6 months
Hometown: Augusta, Ga.
Hobbies: Cooking and making music
Core Value Portrayed: "Service Before Self"

How does the individual portray that core value?
Smith is a stellar Airman who is always willing to lend a hand. When he arrived, the first question he asked was, "what can I do to help?" At every opportunity to help out, he does. When a tasking or volunteer opportunity arises, Smith is always the first to volunteer, even when no one else wants to. His selflessness is evident through his extensive involvement in the squadron, on base and in the community. Although he has only been here a short time, he has proven himself time and time again by setting the example for other Airmen to follow. He has proven to be an invaluable asset to the 48th Equipment Maintenance Nondestructive Inspection Laboratory.

Why is serving in the Air Force important to you?
Joining the Air Force is important to me, because it is an organization that many people strive to become a part of, but only a few have the privilege to actually serve in. Now that I wear the uniform, I am looked up to by many others in my generation, and also by the generations to come. I am a representation to other countries of what an American Airman should be. I recognize that I am a vital part of keeping my country safe. Each and every day, I am becoming a part of American history, and every day I come to work, I am making a difference.

What accomplishment during your Air Force career are you most proud of?
I am most proud of finishing my career development courses four months ahead of schedule. Finishing my CDCs early has allowed me to begin working on another goal, completing my Community College of the Air Force degree in nondestructive inspection testing technology.

What are your personal and/or professional goals?
My personal goal is to get my CCAF degree by 2014 and begin work on my bachelor's degree in electrical engineering. I would also like to complete all requirements for my American society for nondestructive testing license. My professional goal is to excel in my job and make Senior Airman below-the-zone when I am eligible.

What is your favorite part of your job?
The best part of my job is learning the science of my job. Not just the performance portion, but the theory and fundamentals of metallurgy. I love being able to explain to different shops exactly what NDI is all about. We don't just find cracks, we are a vital part in determining the structural integrity of the aircraft and our aircrew safe.

Photo above:

Airman 1st Class Devonte Smith, 48th Equipment Maintenance Squadron nondestructive inspection apprentice, adjusts a laser pointer on the tube head of a piece of equipment to ensure that the x-ray beam focal point is accurate Feb 6, 2013. Smith was nominated for a Liberty Spotlight because he displays the core value of "Service Before Self." (U.S. Air Force photo by Airman 1st Class Dana J. Butler)

tags:
Spotlight on You!

Section:
Spotlight On You!

Tweet
Email
Print

Nondestructive inspection apprentice displays “Service Before Self”

Airman 1st Class Devonte Smith
Mon., February 25
Name and Rank: Airman 1st Class Devonte Smith
Unit: 48th Equipment Maintenance Squadron
Duty Title: Nondestructive inspection apprentice
Time in Service: 11 months
Time at Lakenheath: 6 months
Hometown: Augusta, Ga.
Hobbies: Cooking and making music
Core Value Portrayed: "Service Before Self"

How does the individual portray that core value?
Smith is a stellar Airman who is always willing to lend a hand. When he arrived, the first question he asked was, "what can I do to help?" At every opportunity to help out, he does. When a tasking or volunteer opportunity arises, Smith is always the first to volunteer, even when no one else wants to. His selflessness is evident through his extensive involvement in the squadron, on base and in the community. Although he has only been here a short time, he has proven himself time and time again by setting the example for other Airmen to follow. He has proven to be an invaluable asset to the 48th Equipment Maintenance Nondestructive Inspection Laboratory.

Why is serving in the Air Force important to you?
Joining the Air Force is important to me, because it is an organization that many people strive to become a part of, but only a few have the privilege to actually serve in. Now that I wear the uniform, I am looked up to by many others in my generation, and also by the generations to come. I am a representation to other countries of what an American Airman should be. I recognize that I am a vital part of keeping my country safe. Each and every day, I am becoming a part of American history, and every day I come to work, I am making a difference.

What accomplishment during your Air Force career are you most proud of?
I am most proud of finishing my career development courses four months ahead of schedule. Finishing my CDCs early has allowed me to begin working on another goal, completing my Community College of the Air Force degree in nondestructive inspection testing technology.

What are your personal and/or professional goals?
My personal goal is to get my CCAF degree by 2014 and begin work on my bachelor's degree in electrical engineering. I would also like to complete all requirements for my American society for nondestructive testing license. My professional goal is to excel in my job and make Senior Airman below-the-zone when I am eligible.

What is your favorite part of your job?
The best part of my job is learning the science of my job. Not just the performance portion, but the theory and fundamentals of metallurgy. I love being able to explain to different shops exactly what NDI is all about. We don't just find cracks, we are a vital part in determining the structural integrity of the aircraft and our aircrew safe.

Photo above:

Airman 1st Class Devonte Smith, 48th Equipment Maintenance Squadron nondestructive inspection apprentice, adjusts a laser pointer on the tube head of a piece of equipment to ensure that the x-ray beam focal point is accurate Feb 6, 2013. Smith was nominated for a Liberty Spotlight because he displays the core value of "Service Before Self." (U.S. Air Force photo by Airman 1st Class Dana J. Butler)

More...
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links